Old January 6, 2004, 07:02   #1
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Screwed up research in the first five turns?
In trying to help out with a question, I started a random game, liked it, and decided to play it. Well, the nice start included a river which I could build my home base, and a secondary base quickly. So I did.

Well, the game DID NOT credit me with part of my early research! See below.

Turn F2 Tech per turn Actual accumulated
2102 -------- 3.6 -------------------- 2
2103 --------- 6 --------------------- 2
2104 --------- 6 --------------------- 3
2105 --------- 6 --------------------- 4
2106 --------- 6 --------------------- 11
2107 --------- 6 --------------------- 17

I cannot figure out any simple algorithem for what happened, as there was no credit in 2103, then one per turn, in 2107I recieved five instead of six tech points. Not until 2107 did I start getting my research credited properly in the F2 screen. What gives? I was playing the Cybernetic Consciousness, in slot 7, version 2.0. I can attach saves if anyone is interested.edit to fix table
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:00   #2
Mr. Harley
Prince

Here's a zip of the first seven years.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip reschbug.zip (299.2 KB, 2 views)
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:15   #3
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I can explain the tech increases for turns 2102 to 2105.

Every time you open an unity pod you get 1 extra lab point.

I can't explain why it would not give you techs. I know with drones and believers there's the 5 years of tech stagnation. This shouldn't be present when you're playing the Cybernetic Consciousness.

Maybe someone that is able to open your turn will be able to help you (don't have alpha centuari at work).
Old January 8, 2004, 02:39   #4
Mr. Harley
Prince

I wonder - the previous game I had played I did the unthinkable, I played the Believers. I wonder if some glitch could have caused that. I cannot remember if they are in the same slot - I'll have to check. I'll try to restart from the beginning with a different game played first. Have to do it from home. If anyone unzips and plays the turns, find out if the tech stagnation is hard wired due to my starting it right after the Miriam game.
Old January 8, 2004, 05:26   #5
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

I had a look at your save files. It appears none of the factions are accumulating techs.

Just a guess here, remove "Planet Cult" and try again to see if tech accumulates. Then try a game with "Planet Cult" and I think tech may not accumulate.

The Planet Cult only arrives in turn 2105.

Edit:
But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the planet cult.

Last edited by Kody; January 8, 2004 at 07:41.
Old January 8, 2004, 07:21   #6
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I noticed that sometimes, when you quit one game and start another, you do not get your 2nd colony pod. Maybe this is similar and you need to restart SMAC/SMAX between games.

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html
Old January 8, 2004, 07:53   #7
Mr. Harley
Prince

Nope - tried it. In fact I started a series of totally fresh games, restarting the game and making sure neither The Cult, Believers, or Drones were in the first program start, nor the second. I tried starting in the first and second starting positions using both the Cyber and Univ (the .sav I posted has me in the sixth slot). Same thing, no tech until 2106 when the screen comes up about what you want to research (if you don't force it on the first turn like I usually do). I am playing transcend with version 2.0 no CD crack. I'm really puzzled now.
Old January 8, 2004, 08:15   #8
Kody
Emperor

Can you link your alphax.txt?
Old January 8, 2004, 12:20   #9
Mr. Harley
Prince

Should be unmodified, I only tried changing it once to check on editing out the aliens and then restored (game locked). Here they are.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt alphax.txt (61.3 KB, 2 views)
Old January 8, 2004, 22:55   #10
Kody
Emperor

I ran a diff on the alphax I have and yours. The only difference appears to be that I have sea sensors allowed from some of my mucking around.

So it doesn't appear to be your alphax.txt causing the problems.

I'm all out of ideas I have to admit.