Old January 6, 2004, 20:03   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I wouldn't mind living in the north west or north east coast of the US. I would also like to try living in southern Germany for a while, failing that Paris would be close enough to home that I could almost commute if needs be.

Anywhere it ended up being would have to have a cool-ish non-humid climate. For that reason I could never stay here in Sydney permanently.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:13   #32
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
Well let me be more clear. I'd like to live in place that is warm at least some days of the year, and it's not always pitch black dark.

Somewhere, where the income tax is not so horrible you end up owing money when you make it.

Somewhere, where people smile sometimes and talk to each other.. somewhere, where I can feel I can live up to my potential fully, and if I fail, so be it.

Somewhere, where you can watch NFL and NHL from tv, where there is some stores open longer than 9pm.
Somewhere, where cars can be bought and working people can buy them, and actually drive them.

Somewhere, where I feel is a good place for kids to grow. Good school district and relatively safe.

Somewhere, where I can defend myself without getting to go to jail for it. Where I can beat the living crap out of anyone who comes and threatens me or my family and starts attacking.

Somewhere, where I can go to shooting range and practice with fire arms, without having to crawl on your knees before the owners and cops for getting permission.

Somewhere, where I can go on a roadtrip, and it's not all the same stuff all the time.

Somewhere, where I can go snowboarding. Where the community is nice and friendly towards new faces and invites them to BBQs, and then I can do the same for them.

That's where I want to live.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:31   #33
Namaste
Settler

Local Time: 10:41
I've fallen in love with Prague so I would like to live there, even though the air isn't particularly great for your health there especially in the winter.
Old January 7, 2004, 03:04   #34
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
My earliest memories are of the Madrid area. I lived in Alcala de Henares when my father was stationed at Torreon Air Base. I don't remember much. I lived in an apartment building with a park across the street. I visited places like Toledo and Segovia. There wasn't much television. This was 1980 to 1982.

Frankfurt or Dusseldorf might be nice. Maybe Kent or Penzance.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:52   #35
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
Hamtramck, Michigan
The salt trucks are out in Detroit. The salt trucks are out in Birmingham. The salt trucks are out in Royal Oak. And in Hamtramck there is a guy walking up and down the street with a salt shaker.

Real weather guy joke from WJR, circa 1970.
Old January 7, 2004, 05:01   #36
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:41
I'd like to live in Pacific Grove California if I could afford it, or somewhere else along the central coast of California. The weather there is perfect for my tastes, you can grow almost anything you can think of in your garden, and the countryside and seacoast are spectacularyl beautiful. Barring those, the Oregon coast looks ok for at least half the year.

My girlfriend and I are in negotiations about this very issue. Unfortunately she likes it hot, and I like it cool. We may well end up wintering in a warm place and summering in a cool one. Having to have two seperate residences means that we will probably have to settle for less expensive places though.

Btw, if I were a city type I would be happy in a lot of places in Europe. Germany and the NL in particular seem nice, though I haven't even been to half of the European countries yet. I haven't been to East Asia for 30 years, so I will withhold my comments on it until I get back from my planned trip to Japan later this year.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:25   #37
Flip McWho
Warlord

Local Time: 03:41
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Hmmmm Anywhere but where I am now. Not the country the town. Te Puke is a hole.

Wellington I like, I'll live there for the next few years for uni. I wouldn't mind Europe anywhere really.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:32   #38
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Well let me be more clear. I'd like to live in place that is warm at least some days of the year, and it's not always pitch black dark.

Somewhere, where the income tax is not so horrible you end up owing money when you make it.

Somewhere, where people smile sometimes and talk to each other.. somewhere, where I can feel I can live up to my potential fully, and if I fail, so be it.

Somewhere, where you can watch NFL and NHL from tv, where there is some stores open longer than 9pm.
Somewhere, where cars can be bought and working people can buy them, and actually drive them.

Somewhere, where I feel is a good place for kids to grow. Good school district and relatively safe.

Somewhere, where I can defend myself without getting to go to jail for it. Where I can beat the living crap out of anyone who comes and threatens me or my family and starts attacking.

Somewhere, where I can go to shooting range and practice with fire arms, without having to crawl on your knees before the owners and cops for getting permission.

Somewhere, where I can go on a roadtrip, and it's not all the same stuff all the time.

Somewhere, where I can go snowboarding. Where the community is nice and friendly towards new faces and invites them to BBQs, and then I can do the same for them.

That's where I want to live.
Minnesota?

As for me . . . Obviously Minnesota is one, also Seattle, Chicago, Hawaii, New York City.

Scotland.

Argentina, Brazil.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:45   #39
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:41
In Germany I'd love to live in Mainz. Beautiful city, with beautiful surroundings.
In France, I'dwant to live in a medium city of Britanny, suchas Quimper or St Brieuc. Nice areas, with a soft weather

Other than that, I'd be curious to try Québec-city, but I fear the weather throws me out.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:49   #40
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
Crimson Sunrise, I don't know about Minnesota.. nothing negative, I just haven't really studied the place at all.

Seattle is cool, been there. Nice little city, mountains are near.. but I think it rains all the time . But not a bad choice.

New York is kind of out.. it's a great place but I wouldn't want to live there. Too much going on.. No way to snowboard anywhere near.. and not the safest place either, and expensive.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 7, 2004, 07:18   #41
Essayo
Settler

i'd like to live in Holland again, preferrably in Leiden, Utrecht or Den Haag - lived there for a few years in my teens and thought it was great.
No offense to any Americans but i lived there for a while too but i found it just wasn't my cup of tea. I just can't get used to the culture there. Failing everything in the end New Zealand is pretty cool and i'm glad to call it my home. If i had to live anywhere else other than Palmerston North it'd prolly be Wellington.
Old January 7, 2004, 08:04   #42
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 01:41
Amsterdam, in the Jordaan.

Kitsilano in Vancouver, or maybe one of those lovely little wooded islands you see when you take the ferry from Tsawassen to Victoria.

The Mission in San Francisco.

Monterrey in California.

Granby Street in Manchester.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 7, 2004, 15:36   #43
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

May I enquire Brent - why Lancashire?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 7, 2004, 15:40   #44
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
Quote:
Crimson Sunrise, I don't know about Minnesota.. nothing negative, I just haven't really studied the place at all
The Twin Cities Area is rather nice.

You got The Wild for hockey, The Vikings for Football, The Timberwolves for Basketball, The Twins for baseball, good ice fishing, lots of places to ski, an international airport (home to some major airline, can't remember which), and the worlds largest shopping mall!!! What more could you want?

Quote:
The Mission in San Francisco.
Good bars.

Quote:
Monterrey in California.
Pretty... and expensive!
Old January 7, 2004, 16:24   #45
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Anywhere, absolutely ANYWHERE but Southern Germany, which is where I currently live. It's like hell on earth (except a bit more snow in the winters). If I could choose, independent from money, I'd like to have a house in Iceland, Berlin, Polynesia, Tokyo, the Northern Pacific Coast (Oregon, Washington or BC, don't care) and, maybe, Siberia. Since anything except for Berlin could be by the seaside, you can guess why.
But I'm already looking forward from moving from this rotten s...hole to Hamburg later this year, which is at least an improvement.
Old January 7, 2004, 16:48   #46
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Definitely not the Netherlands (anywhere but here)!

Possibly the UK, Australia or Canada, or better yet, Japan, China, Brazil, the South Pacific and best of all... Mongolia! Someplace quiet in any case.

But until I get the money to actually see what those places look like and see whether these places live up to my expectations, I'll have to make do with Holland.
Old January 7, 2004, 17:14   #47
Spiffor

Stefan Härtel:
What exactly is wrong with Southern Germany? I enjoyed my two years long stay in Stuttgart immensely, and I find the area to be a very nice place toliveand visit (Tübingen )

I'm amused by althose people saying "anywhere but here" because I was like this before leaving Paris for the first time. "Anywhere but Paris" was my motto.
Ever since I left Paris, I understand what is great about this place that I took for granted when I still haven't seen how it looked like elsewhere...
Old January 7, 2004, 17:26   #48
Stefan Härtel
King

Well, I don't know Stuttgart (though I know people from Stuttgart), and I don't know Baden-Württemberg (again, the same as before), but from all I know of both, I wouldn't choose to live there. But that is a prejudice, and I'd be delighted to be proven otherwise.
I'm currently living in the rural Erlangen/Nuremberg region. There is absolutely no joy for me here. I hate the people here (OK, not my friends, but the general population), there is no entertainment of any sort (the local cinema is the only possibility, but I've had it with all the things that went wrong there), and no perspective. This is a dead-end to me.
Old January 7, 2004, 17:42   #49
Spiffor

Then, your problem comes from the fact that you don't like the small-townish way of life. It'd be exactly the same if you lived in a small town anywhere else (and it would be probably worse if you were living in a smal town in China or something)

Stuttgart is not the best if you're looking for the excitement of a big city, but it's quite good already. There are quite a few Kinos, any museums, and a very active Königstraßewith plenty of shops and plenty of shoppers. The city is brand-new (only a tiny quarter has survived WW2), so you may find it uly.
There are many bars, for geezers as well as for young'uns, and several clubs. But most importantly, there are weekly student's parties both in city center and in the campus.
The city is well connected to the internet, has great public transportation , and has all travel possibilities with a good airport and a well connected central station.

In Stuttgart, you won't find the endless breathe of life you could find in Paris or NewYork, but there is already more than enough to keep your days and nights busy
Old January 7, 2004, 17:51   #50
Flip McWho
Warlord

Hey Spiffor,

You work for one of those travel agents doing advertisements for different places? By the sounds of it you'll make a bloody good one. I want to go visit Stuttgart now.
Old January 7, 2004, 17:58   #51
Spiffor

It's definitely notworth the trip from New Zealand
The city is quite ugly, and has nothing exceptional compared to any other big city. I was just advertising the big-city lifestyle to poor Stefan, who spent his life in a village IIUC.

But if you come in the area, there are plenty of places to visit as atourist Tübingen, Heidelberg, the Constance Lake afoot the Austrian Alps, Mainz etc. are beautiful cities an beautifulsceneries,lessthan 2 hours away from Stuttgart
Old January 7, 2004, 18:32   #52
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
I'm interested in Lancashire for genealogical and religious reasons. I have ancestors by the name of Ratcliff who came from there to Maryland around 1660. Lancashire is also important in the history of the church I belong to, and it has a temple in Preston (actually, I guess, Chorley). The only other temple it has in the British Isles is in London.
Old January 7, 2004, 18:44   #53
Stefan Härtel
King

Actually, I've lived in many big cities (Berlin, Karachi, London/Ontario), so I'm used to life in big cities; Erlangen, which is the city I live next to, has its 100,000 residents too, and a huge array of pubs (I think it's the second-highest pub-density in Germany), but this is really where the region strikes in. It's too conservative for me, I think.
Old January 7, 2004, 18:53   #54
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
Here's what I'd like to try:

Paris, Dublin, Tunis, Shanghai, St. Petersburg.

Where I DON'T want to live:

America. Most anywhere except perhaps New York or Boston.

And for those who mentioned Quebec city: the weather is cold, but the worst part is the wind. Russia is worse though.
Montreal is much larger than Quebec and is milder to boot.

Pekka:

Move to Minneasota (how that's spelled anyway?). Then you'll regret your 'tastes'.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old January 7, 2004, 20:19   #55
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
Quote:
Then you'll regret your 'tastes'
Ya, you betch-ya. The one thing the do right in [b]Minnesooooo-ta[b] is deep fry cheese and meats, and everything in between... gotta love that!

Oncle; there are some places in America I would not like to live. Fresno for example or even worse Bakersfield!

I am sure there are a lot of other sheity towns around too, mostly in the South though.
Old January 7, 2004, 20:30   #56
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
I'm interested in Lancashire for genealogical and religious reasons. I have ancestors by the name of Ratcliff who came from there to Maryland around 1660. Lancashire is also important in the history of the church I belong to, and it has a temple in Preston (actually, I guess, Chorley). The only other temple it has in the British Isles is in London.
Oh fair enough, it is just unusual to see an American be that specific about where in the UK they want to live.