Old January 6, 2004, 17:44   #1
Kirjath
Settler

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can I transfer bases to other players?
My brother and I are doing a PBEM game and I just conquered a few bases that would serve him better. Is there a way for me to transfer the controll of these bases to him?

He's doing research and good relations with his neighbors. I'm the back stabbing bastard who is systematicly destroying each of the other people on this planet.

Ideas?

Kirjath
Old January 6, 2004, 18:23   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:42
I know of no way to transfer a base to a human player in a PBEM-- IN fact it would be a tough feature to implement ( given a sequential turn order) unless the donor could do it unilaterally. Tech leads would be worth nothing if a person could merely gift bases and then proberape them repeatedly.

Bases can be transferred to an AI quite easily through a normal diplomatic exchange. It can really peeve off a human opponent if you gift a key base to an AI faction that they are peaceful with .. . They have to peeve off the AI to get the base back.

I have also used the gifting to an AI tactic to rid myself of bases when I did not want to have to invest time or resources into their probe defenses. Giving a few bases to an AI will often get you good relations and some trade income.

So the short conclusion in this long-winded answer, is I have no clue how to give the bases to another PBEM Player-- you could have him conquer them from you but that would likely mean a further reduction in their pop. and facilities
Old January 6, 2004, 18:24   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

BTW is this some sort of team match or are you just going for a co-op victory??
Old January 6, 2004, 18:44   #4
Kirjath
Settler

We're both trying to learn how to play the game still. We are doing a co-op victory.

He donates all his research to me and I prevent him from getting harrassed at all. It's a role playing mission where I'm the military and he's the public relations department of the Sith Empire (from Star Wars) and it's a lot of fun. I've learned more from this game that all the single player games I've done so far.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:07   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
Since you're already the backstabbing one, tell him to put forces near the bases you want to donate, declare war on him, "forget" to defend said bases, and make peace immediately thereafter.

There.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:13   #6
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
works for me.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:52   #7
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 16:42
take his bases and tell him he can manage them during your turn.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:20   #8
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Mad Monk

Quote:
Since you're already the backstabbing one, tell him to put forces near the bases you want to donate, declare
war on him, "forget" to defend said bases, and make peace immediately thereafter.
In fact I did a version of this in a Pbem game recently, where we agreed to swap isolated bases. I vacated my donor base and he vacated his, also agreeing not to probe first. Our respective units occupied the empty base. Of course you have to undo the vendetta aspect in the dip box and you lose treaty/pact income for a turn.

A bit like the old exchange of spies routine a la the old Checkpoint Charlie of Berlin fame.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:32   #9
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Will the bases lose a population and/or a facility during such moves? Also will the bases keep whatever free facilites that they have?

You know wouldn't it be fun to swap all uni bases with all hive bases so that both bases have free node and free peri defense.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 7, 2004, 16:10   #10
Lazerus
King

Bases won't keep free facilities that they have gained due to a SP or faction bonus. Yes they will lose population. Don't think they will lose a facility due to the attack, i think that just happens with a mindworm hit.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:12   #11
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
Bases won't keep free facilities that they have gained due to a SP or faction bonus. Yes they will lose population. Don't think they will lose a facility due to the attack, i think that just happens with a mindworm hit.
I am pretty sure that facilities ARE lost when you capture a base. I have taken some pretty sweet bases tthat had 8 or 9 facilities but only had 3 or 4 facilities when they came into my fold
Old January 8, 2004, 03:22   #12
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:42
I don't know if this happens in PBEM, but I've had a glitch where, after taking a Hive base (as the Cyborgs) one of my next three new bases ended up with a perimeter defense. Weird glitch, I read about it someone a year ago and actually got to see it once myself.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 8, 2004, 05:53   #13
Petek
lifer
Prince

According to the SMAC manual (p. 105 in my edition, section titled "Conquest and Annihilation"):

Conquering a base destroys a random number of the base's facilities.
Old January 8, 2004, 05:56   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
I think that's common to all civ-style games.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 9, 2004, 13:22   #15
Lazerus
King

Been that long since i've conquered any worthwhile bases
need some IP play