Old January 11, 2004, 18:46   #31
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We can come up with some rules after the Tournament for a League kind of structure, but how would you feel about playing with smaller city limits for each government?

Tyranny 5
Monarchy 10
Fascism 20

On the gameplay side of things i can imagine it would definately mean faster turns, more even starting locations because theres more PW to spend on each city to improve them, things like that. Just ideas anyway, some people like it, some dont....
Maquiladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 22:23   #32
Daniel Kesinger
Settler

Local Time: 08:42
So how are we on the timeline? Are we still planning on keeping to Barley's time frame?

Also, Maq, I'm still looking for that rematch. NO GOODIE TECHS!! Knights against phalanx's is never pretty, lol!!
Anyway email me at dm_kesinger@yahoo.com
I will be free all day friday through all day monday. I prefer to play about the same time we did yesturday, but I'm open to change.

If anyone is interested in playing I'm willing, but under the same rules. No tech goodies, Can anyone tell I'm bitter??!! lol
Daniel Kesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2004, 16:47   #33
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Can you play 12noon GMT Saturday Daniel?
Old January 14, 2004, 19:45   #34
Barley
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 15:42
Lol Daniel (with Goodies you need to send out lots of scouts all over the map to eat them up ASAP).

Im free to play on Friday from 7pm GMT (have up to 10 hours), may be able to play Saturday but its a slim chance (ill post here if I can).
Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2004, 19:46   #35
Barley
Prince

Oh PS, we are still on track for the Tournament, just waiting to see if other players want to join and for Toni & Quimby to return from their holidays.
Old January 14, 2004, 23:20   #36
Daniel Kesinger
Settler

12noon GMT is 3am my time, so thats not such a good time. How about 2?

Maybe there is a mean time that Barley, you, and myself could all play. My wife has only given me permission for one game, lol!! Perhaps Friday night, your time, say 5or6pm GMT

The best time for me is still anyday around 2pm GMT. Let me know what you guys think.
Old January 15, 2004, 03:31   #37
Maquiladora
Emperor

Its better that you 2 play then, i can only play Saturday until 7pm GMT.
Old January 15, 2004, 14:39   #38
Daniel Kesinger
Settler

Maq,
Saturday is better for me, if we start at 2GMT, that leaves us 5 hours. So see you then?

Barley,
If you really can't play saturday I think that I can work out 4hours or so during the 10 that you said you would be available for on Friday.
Old January 15, 2004, 15:03   #39
Maquiladora
Emperor

Okay 2pm GMT sounds fine.
Old January 16, 2004, 04:13   #40
Toni
Call to Power II MultiplayerDiploGamesBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hi Maq and Barley, i wanted to say that it will be a good thing to try and share tips and strategies with the players as much as u can, which you play now days, so we can have more equal players for the Tourney, afcourse you may have already start doing it but i wanted to say it anyway. Coming back from holiday in 11 days...............
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 04:30   #41
Maquiladora
Emperor

That was my thinking too Toni, of course they may know more than us anyway.
Old January 17, 2004, 01:13   #42
Daniel Kesinger
Settler

Maq,
I need to know if we can move our game foward to 12noon GMT. If you can I'll just meet you on the multiplayer server. If not I will see you at 2pmGMT. I hope you can make it at noon.

Daniel
Old January 17, 2004, 02:36   #43
Maquiladora
Emperor

Ill try, if im not there before 12:10pm its safe to say im still in bed, but ill make it for 2pm otherwise.
Old January 18, 2004, 10:11   #44
Barley
Prince

Still in bed at 12.00! you lazy git Maq (though guess you were up late playing or boozing).

Limited city numbers (by Gov) - its an interesting idea but id like to try it out a few times before it was part of a League or something, I just fear it might put some people off, especially less experienced peeps.

Sharing tips - Great idea, think the best way to do this would be to have a MP tip thread along the lines of ‘Guide to CTP’, there are already Mp tips in there and there is a good CTP1 MP tip thread somewhere. Without making it to complicated though we could just start a thread and brainstorm our own ideas, strategys and put them on it. If necessary we could consolidate it all into a organised thread later.

One last thing, don’t want to be an old moaner but try not to let this thread get to off topic with lots of discussion re arranging MP games (im as guilty as anyone), the odd post don’t matter though.
Old January 18, 2004, 10:37   #45
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Barley
Still in bed at 12.00! you lazy git Maq (though guess you were up late playing or boozing).
Hey it look at what time i posted, under 6 hours before the game ...... a little sleep and i still made it, thats what you call dedication

Quote:
Limited city numbers (by Gov) - its an interesting idea but id like to try it out a few times before it was part of a League or something, I just fear it might put some people off, especially less experienced peeps.
Well it can be upto the 2 players involved to decide, whatever format the competition is.

Quote:
Sharing tips - Great idea, think the best way to do this would be to have a MP tip thread along the lines of ‘Guide to CTP’, there are already Mp tips in there and there is a good CTP1 MP tip thread somewhere. Without making it to complicated though we could just start a thread and brainstorm our own ideas, strategys and put them on it. If necessary we could consolidate it all into a organised thread later.
There is already the Great Library: Strategy & Tactics Index, but this only tells some of the more obvious exploits and strategies, not enough to get by in MP, but it will be the thread to index any new threads we start concerning MP.

I will start a thread later with some other exploits and tactics ive noticed, and perhaps you can chip in with some i dont know yet

If we all reveal our strategies in their entirety theyd be no point having a Tournament, but there are some definate fundamentals all players should be aware of. I know theres alot of things i wish i knew when i started.
Old January 19, 2004, 03:26   #46
Toni
Call to Power II MultiplayerDiploGamesBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Having the no graphs option will be an interesting thing, am starting to wanted more and more in the tourney, but as you say Maq its up to the 2 players playing. As you mentioned, players try to follow and try to come up with the overall development of the other player looking at the graphs, taking out the graphs will be a whole new game, I myself have the feeling sometimes in the past that other players try to copy my moves meaning when to PW and army buld up and etc.. So taking them out will atleast for me will be a more interesting game to play. 100% dependable on yourself.
Old January 19, 2004, 04:51   #47
Maquiladora
Emperor

I know what you mean. Ive copied your moves plenty of times following the science and economic graph, only because you outgrew me everytime so i was always playing catchup. Now i am more independant player, i do things when i think is right.

Also no graphs does seperate more the good from the bad, afterall the graphs are only there to compare yourself with the other player, and if you dont have that you have to play on instinct.

In the defence of anyone whos copied your army build up (me included) i would say, isnt it natural for someone to build units fast because they see your military graph go up? Its pretty stupid to not do anything and sit and wait to be attacked
Old January 19, 2004, 05:00   #48
Toni
King

Yes Maq, but playing a game depending on your instinct, will be much more interesting. About the army issue, yes its natural to build up your army when you see your rival building up, but this makes this game too easy having just switching to army graph looking at the enemies army and just waiting for him to make the move or just to follow him through. I say relaying on your instinct will be much more fun to play then playing cat and mouse.
Old January 19, 2004, 05:03   #49
Toni
King

And having the no graphs will make the wrong decisions more costly, more paranoic game
Old January 19, 2004, 05:10   #50
Maquiladora
Emperor

It will be more fun for those that are used to it and want to use it. I am willing to play either way with any rules, but some might not be.

Anyway we dont have 8 players, but this was supposed to be the cutoff point (19th) and to start matches...... and we have 5 players which is awkward. A league structure would be easier, but thats alot of commitment and forms slowly over time.
Old January 19, 2004, 13:19   #51
Daniel Kesinger
Settler

Again, regarding the graphs... I think it is also a good idea to get rid of them. I like to play as realistically as possible. There is no way that anyone would be able to chart someones strategy that early on.

For example, My strategy is to build and expand fast, develope a base with a strong economic base, as to increase my production capability as well as science to develope beyond my openent. When I played Maq, not saying he did this because I think he's always been a military heavy player, but anyway he can simply look at my military graph and see my overall strategy and easily overcome it, as where if he's left to guess, he might be more cautious and thus alows me a better use of my strategy.

But, my job is Military Intelligence, so maybe its just my nature to hide things I think we need to vote on this as a yes or a no thing before the tournament, because there is the possibility of a problem should one say yes and one say no if we leave it up to the players individually.
Old January 19, 2004, 19:01   #52
Barley
Prince

Personally I think the no graphs is an excellent idea, will add a massive new edge to the game (which often follows the same predictable routine). There will be a much greater emphasis on taking chances i.e. do I keep a fairly strong army just in case or do I just take a risk and try and go for growth a bit longer etc etc.

In the real world countries didn’t know what strength and level of science each other had, though what would make this even better would be if we could make a spy mod where sending a spy to a foreign city revealed the graph for one turn or something, then maybe at the advent of Economics you get to see the economy graph, at the advent of Printing Press you get to see the Sceince Graph and the Advent of Mass Media you get to see them all (or something like this).
Old January 20, 2004, 17:38   #53
Barley
Prince

Ok its just over a week till the start of the tournament. We have 6 players for definate and two possibles (see below). 8 is a nice round number so I hope all are available to play – can someone try and get in touch with Maz & Cloud to see if they are free – or is there anyone else that might want to play?

Barley
Maquiladora
Toni
Quimby
Daniel Kesinger
EPW

Possibles - Cloud and Maz ?
Old January 20, 2004, 18:44   #54
Maquiladora
Emperor

Is Quimby confirmed? I emailed him but i didnt get any reply.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:31   #55
Barley
Prince

Not sure about Quimby either, im sure he'll want to play but hes still on holiday, id say he was 95% likely to play.
Old January 22, 2004, 03:54   #56
Toni
King

OK a week to go and i see just 4 serious players for the Tourney. 4 is good but lets hope we get 2 more, make them 6 - Quimby and EPW?? Any idea how the rounds will go yet Barley, just curious. I think we should have 2 games between players, so that there can be a chance of a rematch. So are we going to vote on the no graph issue, or its up to the two players playing? Oh i will be back this coming Tuesday, so i'am open for a game on Wed, need some practice to do, so anyone?
Old January 22, 2004, 03:57   #57
Toni
King

Oh and something else, what do you think about slowing down the science research of the game, having doing that, will make every little effort count towards leading in sci, just a though.
Old January 22, 2004, 04:28   #58
Maquiladora
Emperor

I was thinking if we only got 6 players we could have 2 groups of 3 and the top 2 of each group play each other in semi's then a final.

On the issue of graphs/increased sci cost, i think we should let the players decide. I will play with both alterations in my games with anyone who wants the alterations too, but some people might not, so leaving it as an option would be best. For the Final we can make it a definate rule though.

I would like to make rules on map sizes though, because eventually players wont agree on what size to play their game, but doing it this way makes it fair. Regular size maps for group games, then Huge for the Semi's and Gigantic for the Final.
Old January 22, 2004, 14:18   #59
Barley
Prince

Like the idea of two groups of three (think we should still contact Maz and Cloud to at least give them the chance to play – if not already done), otherwise we’ll go with your idea Maq.

Re playing without graphs, id rather not do that in a tournament if ive not played that way before but im all for the idea of making science take longer (say 20-25%?) means you’ll generally get to monarchy about turn 70-80 instead of 50-60 or so.

PS is anyone free for a MP game tonight (22.1.04) or tomorrow (23.1.04) I can play anytime after 7.30pm GMT and will check in the lobby at that time both nights then again on various changes of hour. I need some practice.
Old January 22, 2004, 17:12   #60
EPW
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Team BananaCall To Power SuperLeagueCiv4 SP Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameSporeC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

yeah i can still play-I've been busy this week and havn't had a chance to post.
EPW is offline   Reply With Quote