Old January 7, 2004, 03:16   #31
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
I ain't no stinkin' spineless liberal. I'm a radical and proud of it.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:13   #32
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:43
1. Bush was selected, not elected...like Hitler! - false

2. Criminals are victims too...well unless, they steal my old Joan Baez tracks. Do you know how hard it was to get those? I'd like to kill that guy! - depends on how "crime" is defined, jailed pot smokers and growers are victims of the drug war pushers.

3. Loving America means talking about what's wrong with it incessantly and downplaying all the good things it does. - that does seem to be a common current among those engaged in perpetual reflection, but disgust of democrats or republicans isn't loving or hating America.

4. Howard Dean would be another great president...like Jimmy Carter! -

5. Jesse Jackson is the greatest living African-American other than the first black President, Bill Clinton. -

6. The French are our real allies because they love us enough to undercut our policies at every turn so we won't make any mistakes. - France, I presume, is just worried about terrorists targeting them even if the French leadership had financial dealings with Saddam. In an all out war of conquest I have no doubt France would be helping us.

7. Mumia Abu-Jamal is innocent, George W. Bush is guilty! -Who is Abu-Jamal? Is that the alleged cop-killer given asylum in France?

8. I support immigration laws as long as they're not enforced! - That seems to be the GOP's position as well.

9. Discrimination against minorities is no longer acceptable in America...unless they happen to be conservative judges waiting for confirmation from the Senate. - The Dems are discriminating against conservatibes, the fact they are minorities is not a factor. But all private discrimination should be legal, so the Repubs share the liberals' POV here.

10. Using military force to liberate Iraq & set up a Democracy in Iraq is not justifiable on humanitarian grounds because the UN didn't approve. On the other hand, using military force to liberate Kosovo was justifiable on humanitarian grounds even though the UN didn't approve. - Neither was justifiable, the US military exists to defend the US. And I have a big problem with compelling other people to risk their lives for my alleged safety or humanitarian reasons.

11. Conservatives want to pollute the environment because they love drinking dirty water and breathing filthy air. - well, they sure do like dirty politicians so who knows how far their appetite for dirt goes.

12. Bush knew about 9/11 before it happened....yes, I'm serious! It's true, it really is...I saw it on an internet site right beside of a story about lizard people who rule the earth. - Trust me, if there are some liberals who believe this, then there are some conservatives who believe it too.

13. We should give the UN Security Council a veto over whether we use our military or not because China, France, & Russia are looking out for our best interests! -

14. Jim Crow laws were a bad thing because they discriminated against people based on race and Affirmative Action is a good thing because it discriminates against people based on race. -
Old January 7, 2004, 04:17   #33
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 11:43
Feh. Let's make this more interesting.

ARE YOU A CONSERVATIVE?

1. Despite losing the popular vote, and having his cronies in Florida threaten voters and make unusual decisions regarding the recount, as well as supreme court justices with special interests in seeing Bush elected halt further recount efforts, Dubya is a beacon of democracy in the free world.

2. Money is being wasted in the criminal reformation system. It costs ~$16,000/yr. to incarcerate a criminal, but one bullet costs less than a dollar one time!

3. Loving America means ignoring everthing bad the U.S. does. Not that it's ever done anything bad. Only a total commie-nazi whackjob would think that!

4. Bush is a great example of what Dan Quayle could have been.

5. Jesse Helms isn't a racist. He hired a couple of black people, once.

6. The French are our real enemies because they sometimes don't cowtow completely to our foreign agenda, despite being a longtime political and economic partner. Hasn't anyone here seen Deathrace 2000?!

7. Mumia Abu-Jamal is guilty, George W. Bush is innocent!

8. I support immigration laws as long as they only target the filthy catholic heathens from the south of the border.

9. Discrimination against minorities... huh? That's long over, dude. N*ggers and wetbacks and chinks are just being whiny.

10. Using military force against furrin nations is always acceptable, if the president says so and he's not Klin-ton. I need cheap gas for my 3 SUVs!

11. Liberals want to destroy business thru environmental laws because they are communists and hate america.

12. The jews. commies, liberals, gays, and lesbians are responsible for 9/11. Oh and terrorists.

13. We should ingore what the rest of the world thinks when we make furrin policy decisions. They're all stupid anyway.

14. Jim Crow laws were a good thing because they kept the inferior races in their place and Affirmative Action is a bad thing because it makes them all uppity.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 7, 2004, 04:19   #34
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:43
Quote:
12. The jews.
People of Jewish faith

And that's not very funny. Sorry.
Old January 7, 2004, 04:21   #35
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Quote:
12. The jews.
People of Jewish faith

And that's not very funny. Sorry.
Probably even less so since I'm paraphrasing a well-known consevative preacher, eh?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 7, 2004, 04:37   #36
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
"3. Loving America means talking about what's wrong with it incessantly and downplaying all the good things it does."

Name one good thing.
Tripledoc isn't from here.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:42   #37
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

Tripledoc isn't from here.
Your powers of observation are remarkable. Firstly it is impolite to answer a poster directly by referring to him or her in the third person. Harry Buttle who made the same insight several posts ago, something you missed perhaps, and despite his deficiencies in mental capacities, at least is a polite person. Secondly, you might explain to me precisely why the fact that I am not from America should disqualify me from having a learned opinion on this particular problem for the human race. Thirdly I take it that since no one has been able to name one good thing America has done, that means that not even you Americans who are so disconcerted that I am not from America, can refute the socalled liberal notion. Instead of making fools of yourselves go an bash France instead. The propaganda is readymade, and the level of thinking is minimal.
Old January 7, 2004, 06:48   #38
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc

Your powers of observation are remarkable. Firstly it is impolite to answer a poster directly by referring to him or her in the third person. Harry Buttle who made the same insight several posts ago, something you missed perhaps, and despite his deficiencies in mental capacities, at least is a polite person. Secondly, you might explain to me precisely why the fact that I am not from America should disqualify me from having a learned opinion on this particular problem for the human race. Thirdly I take it that since no one has been able to name one good thing America has done, that means that not even you Americans who are so disconcerted that I am not from America, can refute the socalled liberal notion. Instead of making fools of yourselves go an bash France instead. The propaganda is readymade, and the level of thinking is minimal.
You don't deserve politeness from me, and the rest of the post above as well as the first one is nothing more than a troll attempt and doesn't deserve the response you seem to think it does. Note the lack of responses except for the counter trolls. It wasn't even a good troll.
Old January 7, 2004, 07:03   #39
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 16:43
"Liberal", as in the American sense?

Real Liberals are Right wing free-marketeers!
Old January 7, 2004, 07:05   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:43
What a funny joke
Old January 7, 2004, 07:12   #41
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

You don't deserve politeness from me, and the rest of the post above as well as the first one is nothing more than a troll attempt and doesn't deserve the response you seem to think it does. Note the lack of responses except for the counter trolls. It wasn't even a good troll.
I see that now you refer to people in the second person, so you have already overstepped your self imposed rule of observing a stance of impoliteness. So there are actually two inconsistencies to your post.
Old January 7, 2004, 07:22   #42
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Real Liberals are Right wing free-marketeers!
damn right

and am i the only one who finds trippledoc really funny, even though it's for the 'wrong' reasons

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old January 7, 2004, 07:36   #43
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 23:43
Are You a Conservative?
True or false:

1. Bush was elected. It had nothing to do with his brother and the justices appointed by his daddy.

2. Thieves should be thrown in jail for life, well unless they steal millions from a corporation. Then they are qualified to become a Republican vice-president.

3. Republicans represent America so anyone who criticises the Republicans is a traitor and should be shot.

5. George W. will be remembered as one of America’s great presidents … just like his Dad.

6. Osama bin Laden is a clear and present danger to the US. That’s why we have to invade Iceland.

7. The corporate media in the US are out to destroy big business.

8. To protect our freedom, we must arrest more people.

9. Every country has the right to act in its best interest so the US is justified in acting unilaterally. But the French are scum for not supporting us 100%.

10. I’m not a racist, but Blacks are naturally better athletes unlike White athletes who work hard to succeed.

11. There is no discrimination in the United States, except against White Christian men.

12. The war in Iraq is over. We won just like we won the Vietnam War.

13. The Democrats were responsible for 9/11. I know it’s true cause Rush Limburgh said it’s true.
Old January 7, 2004, 11:55   #44
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Some of them are out-of-touch young white men.

On that note, I have to admit I scored 0/14.
Old January 7, 2004, 12:52   #45
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Re: Are You a Liberal? True/False
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Hold it right there buddy -- it looks like President Bush is also set with this attitude with a new proposal in legalizing illegal immigrants.
H E L L O people -- this illegal immigrant question in the initial thread no longer applies to just liberals now.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:19   #46
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

0/14 and from my perspective that score is different from 0/100000000000000000.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:29   #47
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Oddly enough, non-Americans reading those statements react with a simple "The US is totally ****ed in the head, isn't it?" regardless of their political orientation.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:43   #48
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

@ Tripledoc

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 7, 2004, 13:48   #49
SpencerH
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Are You a Liberal? True/False
Quote:

H E L L O people -- this illegal immigrant question in the initial thread no longer applies to just liberals now.
The proposal isnt to legalize illegals, but to create a new class of temporary foreign workers who will be able to work here legally.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:21   #50
MrFun
Emperor

Yeah Spencer -- it's just a spin on what I already said, though.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:25   #51
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are You a Liberal? True/False
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
The proposal isnt to legalize illegals, but to create a new class of temporary foreign workers who will be able to work here legally.
And possibly grant amnsety to those already here. The proposal isn't finalized yet.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 14:30   #52
MrFun
Emperor

I know that, Che.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:32   #53
SpencerH
Emperor

The amnesty part will be a hard pill to swallow by many people so we'll have to see. The point is that it is not a proposal to grant them residence (ie a green card).
Old January 7, 2004, 14:34   #54
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
I know that, Che.
That's probably why I quoted SpenceH and not you.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 14:34   #55
MrFun
Emperor

Will they be under the same minimum wage protections as temporary foreign workers in United States??
Old January 7, 2004, 14:36   #56
SpencerH
Emperor

I assume so. Current legal temporary workers (H1 visa etc) have the same protections as citizens.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:38   #57
MrFun
Emperor

Well that's great that Bush and his corporate buddies are devising another way to take more jobs from American workers.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 7, 2004, 14:40   #58
chequita guevara
Emperor

We don't know yet, but I can only assume organized labor would flip out if they weren't. One of the criticisms I saw was that foreign workers wouldn't have the same protections, but I didn't see any specifics. I know that legal immigrant workers in our wWest Pacific territories do not get the same protections as those in the States.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:42   #59
MrFun
Emperor

What do you mean Chegitz? Those workers in our territories are living fabulously on a whopping wage of 30 cents an hour!

How dare they claim they are living in poverty! Our corporations have the best interests of such workers at heart.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:44   #60
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Well that's great that Bush and his corporate buddies are devising another way to take more jobs from American workers.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The jobs aren't jobs that native born Americans want to work. They are also job currently worked by illegal immigrants. By granting them legal status, it drives up the cost of their labor, and reduces the incentive for employers to use illegal labor. And if there weren't a demand for their labor in the first place, they wouldn't be here. Plus immigration, legal and otherwise, is the only reason our population is still growing.