Old January 7, 2004, 14:45   #61
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Well that's great that Bush and his corporate buddies are devising another way to take more jobs from American workers.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to go out and work as a field hand. These are jobs that are already not being done by americans.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:47   #62
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
What do you mean Chegitz? Those workers in our territories are living fabulously on a whopping wage of 30 cents an hour!.
It's not so much the pay rate that's a problem, though it is. It is rather the fact that their documents get takn from them by their bosses, so they can't leave their work compunds, they are also fenced in with razor wire, aren't alloowed to live with their families but in sex-segregated dormitories, and sometimes they don't get paid at all. Plus the tickets from the companies to bring them to the U.S. territoeis is just a loan, which they must pay back. The company town ain't dead.

This post should not be taken as a criticism of your post, but merely an addendum.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 14:48   #63
SpencerH
Emperor

I would've said it first, but I was correcting liberal misconceptions in another thread

EDIT: I was refering to my previous post.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:54   #64
chequita guevara
Emperor

*cg chuckles.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 14:55   #65
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

it looks like the trolls came out from under their toilets...

are you a conservative?

1. The country is better off being run by corporations and not a democratically elected government.

2. Unborn babies need the protection of the law... until they are born, then let them pay for their own education.

3. Slave labor, child labor, and immoral working conditions are all right, as long as it's in Mexico, or Asia...

4. China is an evil Stalinist state... but entities that support China like Fox and Walmart are patriotic bastions of American commerce.

5. Poor people who cheat on their taxes should go to jail, corporations who evade billions should be given corporate welfare.

6. People have freedom of religion and government can't establish religion... unless it's Christianity.

7. Freedom of speech is a protected RIGHT! Unless you are a liberal.

8. Immigrants are evil and are a threat to this country... even though this nation was founded by immigrants and every one of us is an immigrant.

9. Drugs support terror (even homegrown marijuana)... but billions in oil money to the Saudis is part of the American lifestyle and if we change that the terrorists have won.

10. It's okay to pollute the air and water because it saves us money... and you can always buy bottled water or air freshners!

11. Clinton was responsible for 9-11 even though his adminstration wrote and proposed the Dept. of Homeland Sec. legislation and held weekly terrorism briefings and was "obsessed with terrorism" according to Tom DeLay in 1998. Plus, we needed a terrorist attack to wake up America to the evils of Saddam Hussein.

12. Wasting $70 million on investigating a blowjob... then impeaching the president over it was a just action.

13. Lying about sex is an impeachable offense, but lying about going to war is patriotic.

14. Rich white people should never be discriminated against... and trying to correct the problems of racism and inequality in our society are racist.

15. Gays are evil and should be jailed.

I have more dopey conservative beliefs if u guys want
Old January 7, 2004, 14:57   #66
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
I count 15 of the toilet hiders above.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 7, 2004, 15:06   #67
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It's not so much the pay rate that's a problem, though it is. It is rather the fact that their documents get takn from them by their bosses, so they can't leave their work compunds, they are also fenced in with razor wire, aren't alloowed to live with their families but in sex-segregated dormitories, and sometimes they don't get paid at all. Plus the tickets from the companies to bring them to the U.S. territoeis is just a loan, which they must pay back. The company town ain't dead.

This post should not be taken as a criticism of your post, but merely an addendum.
I guess slavery is far from dead.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:06   #68
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Feel free to go out and work as a field hand. These are jobs that are already not being done by americans.
Are there not poor Americans who would be willing to take any of these dirty jobs just so they can live a little more decently??
Old January 7, 2004, 15:09   #69
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

I know these points are all meant to be just trolls and not serious Sava, but even as a troll, this one is not very good.

Have you heard of the Log Cabin Republicans? I really dislike many of their approaches towards Republicans, but they are gay and conservative.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:11   #70
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:

Are there not poor Americans who would be willing to take any of these dirty jobs just so they can live a little more decently??
Apparently, not many.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:11   #71
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
I know these points are all meant to be just trolls and not serious Sava, but even as a troll, this one is not very good.
sad but true Mr Fun...

plus this is not about "republicans" per se... but conservatives...

Log Cabin repukes are gay and economically right wing (free marketeers)... that does not = conservative.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:12   #72
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
I guess slavery is far from dead.
Sad but true. At least one of the sources of slavery looks to be going away. The peace talks in Sudan seem to be bearing fruit, which could well mean that cessation of slave taking there.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:15   #73
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Have you heard of the Log Cabin Republicans? I really dislike many of their approaches towards Republicans, but they are gay and conservative.
And stupid. Some fool here in Jax is trying to form a brnach of the LCR, and he can't get the Republicans here to return his calls. I wonder if all LCR are in to maschoism.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:17   #74
MrFun
Emperor

I know -- it's pathetic sometimes to think that Log Cabin Republicans really believe that the Republican party cares about their interests.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:17   #75
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Part of the problem is with the idea that these jobs would help them to live more decently. Do you have any idea with the conditions which illegal/migrant workers put up with? Migrant farm workers are the poorest people in the country.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:18   #76
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
I know -- it's pathetic sometimes to think that Log Cabin Republicans really believe that the Republican party cares about their interests.
personally, I think they do... I think teh Repukes care more about corporate dominance and free-market exploitation than they do social issues. I also think the Repukes pander to the religious right and other social conservatives for votes.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:20   #77
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Part of the problem is with the idea that these jobs would help them to live more decently. Do you have any idea with the conditions which illegal/migrant workers put up with? Migrant farm workers are the poorest people in the country.
But I'm saying that the bad conditions that these jobs consist of for migrant workers would be improved through OSHA and so on, if American workers had those jobs simply because of greater legal protection.

Or am I wrong with this assumption?
Old January 7, 2004, 15:21   #78
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Just as it is equally pathetic to think the Dems give a hoot about the intersests of any specific group. Much to be made of with regard to Dems abandoning minority causes 'cept when it fits a left agenda.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 7, 2004, 15:21   #79
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
personally, I think they do... I think teh Repukes care more about corporate dominance and free-market exploitation than they do social issues. I also think the Repukes pander to the religious right and other social conservatives for votes.
You just contradicted yourself there -- Republicans are more concerned about corporate/market issues but then you stated that Republicans pander to religious right and social conservatives for votes.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:23   #80
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Unlike Dems who pander and then abandon minority causes.

Old January 7, 2004, 15:26   #81
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Or am I wrong with this assumption?
Farm laborers are exempted from most protections that the rest of us enjoy. I could only speculate as to why that is but I imagine it has several factors. Then, as now, many migrant farm worker were Mexican / Black / Poor Whites (Okies) who were and are beneath considering for protection. Margins on farm incomes were/are quite low, and paying decent wages and ensuring job safety would drive many farmers out of business (not so much the case today). Agrobusiness, then as now, had powerful lobbyists in Washington.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:27   #82
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Just as it is equally pathetic to think the Dems give a hoot about the intersests of any specific group. Much to be made of with regard to Dems abandoning minority causes 'cept when it fits a left agenda.
We have more chance with Democrats with the like of Howard Dean than Republicans.

But there are some rotten Democrats like Bill Clinton who have kow towed to homophobia.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:28   #83
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Bahhh, Dems always have been spineless and will continue so.

Old January 7, 2004, 15:30   #84
Japher
Emperor

I think Repubs and Dems are both concerned about the same thing, they just have different ways of going about it.

Repubs pander to coorprate America because are delude to believe that by creating more jobs, building more buisnesses, and bringing in more money will some how fix all the problems of the state.

Dems pander to minority causes through social reform because they have become deluded to believe that by encouraging people, assisting them when they are down, and subsidizing their every whim will some how fix all the problems of the state.

Both are right in some ways and wrong in some ways.

That, IMO, is the best thing about bipartisanship.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:31   #85
MrFun
Emperor

Ogie, I try not to stereotype all Republicans based on what individual Republican leaders have done in the past.

For instance, I have blasted President Bush in the past, but I know that not all Republicans are deceiving and corrupt as he is.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:33   #86
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Bahhh, Dems always have been spineless and will continue so.
I agree... I think all things being equal, if Bush were a Democrat, the Repukes would have a much better chance of kicking him outta office...

but the dem's are spineless, not motivated enough, and not as ruthless and vile as Repukes are...

Dem's need Karl Rove-type people...

I want the system changed so that being evil doesn't give you the best chance of winning. But alas, I think humanity is evil... and they get the government they deserve.
Old January 7, 2004, 16:07   #87
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

True stereotyping is an easy trap. Mark me admonished.

Old January 8, 2004, 01:07   #88
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Might as well bite.

1. The country is better off being run by corporations and not a democratically elected government.

Nope.

2. Unborn babies need the protection of the law... until they are born, then let them pay for their own education.

Yes.

3. Slave labor, child labor, and immoral working conditions are all right, as long as it's in Mexico, or Asia...

Nope.

4. China is an evil Stalinist state... but entities that support China like Fox and Walmart are patriotic bastions of American commerce.

WalMart patriotic? No.

5. Poor people who cheat on their taxes should go to jail, corporations who evade billions should be given corporate welfare.

Nope. String 'em both up.

6. People have freedom of religion and government can't establish religion... unless it's Christianity.

Nope. I believe you can't have freedom unless you allow people to disagree with you.

7. Freedom of speech is a protected RIGHT! Unless you are a liberal.

See above, no.

8. Immigrants are evil and are a threat to this country... even though this nation was founded by immigrants and every one of us is an immigrant.

Actually, I rather like immigration.

9. Drugs support terror (even homegrown marijuana)... but billions in oil money to the Saudis is part of the American lifestyle and if we change that the terrorists have won.

Yes.

10. It's okay to pollute the air and water because it saves us money... and you can always buy bottled water or air freshners!

Why would this be a conservative position? No.

11. Clinton was responsible for 9-11 even though his adminstration wrote and proposed the Dept. of Homeland Sec. legislation and held weekly terrorism briefings and was "obsessed with terrorism" according to Tom DeLay in 1998. Plus, we needed a terrorist attack to wake up America to the evils of Saddam Hussein.

No.

12. Wasting $70 million on investigating a blowjob... then impeaching the president over it was a just action.

Did they impeach Clinton? No.

13. Lying about sex is an impeachable offense, but lying about going to war is patriotic.

No.

14. Rich white people should never be discriminated against... and trying to correct the problems of racism and inequality in our society are racist.

Depends on how you want to correct racism. Whites should not be discriminated against any more than blacks. So no.

Why reward them? No.

2/15

I must be a liberal!
Old January 8, 2004, 01:10   #89
MrFun
Emperor

Poor Ben is taking this stuff seriously.
Old January 8, 2004, 01:55   #90
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Might as well bite.
I figured he got tired waiting for bait.