Old January 6, 2004, 21:39   #1
MrMismatch
Settler

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Jungle Clearing
I discovered this last night when I was playing C3C, and clearing out my empire. Jungle tiles no longer provide a shield bonus when your workers clear them. This really does not do much when you are building costly buildings late in the game, but it can make a small difference when building early buildings and units.

Another thing that bothers me about C3C is the appearance of swampland. They produce no special resouces (oil, coal or something else you may find in an area of heat and decay), take along time to clear, take up valuable grasslands and plains, and you can not sttle on them.

Just my two cents.
MrMismatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2004, 21:44   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 10:43
jungles never did. forests do.

marshes are an attempt to make buffer zones in the game. personally, i used to play with only being able to settle grasslands, plains, floodplains, and hills.
Old January 6, 2004, 21:55   #3
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

I saw oil in swampland (marshland in the game) in two different places in my last game. (1.12beta version)

This actually sometimes makes it difficult to colonize (building a coastal town in enemy territory) since you can't place a town in marshland.
Tripledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2004, 22:39   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 11:43
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
You have to clear it first.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2004, 22:52   #5
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 10:43
Marshland seems to provide a good amount of bonus grassland when cleared. Better percentage than clearing forest from what I have seen.
Old January 6, 2004, 23:32   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:43
I concur with your analysis Swissy.
Old January 7, 2004, 00:30   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

By the time you can see oil you have lots of workers to clear land anyway.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 06:36   #8
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
I think it's peculiar that resources remain when you change a tile. If you clear a jungle containing spices, the spices ought to disappear. Otherwise it's just silly! Where were those spices coming from?
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 16:12   #9
Artifex
Prince

The spice fairy ofcourse.
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 19:05   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't have a problem with it, it is not a simulation and any convention can be used.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 21:43   #11
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

When jungles are cleared, they should become either grassland or desert. That's more or less what happens in the real world.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 00:26   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
I think it's peculiar that resources remain when you change a tile. If you clear a jungle containing spices, the spices ought to disappear. Otherwise it's just silly! Where were those spices coming from?
Although this would make gameplay rather interesting - players would have to cope with terrible cities in Forest, Jungles etc until they could see whether they were going to be wiping out valuable resources by terraforming, it would create some problems. If every jungle tile was cleared then you could end up with none of a particular resource, which would be greatly unfair.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 16:28   #13
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Spices appear on the map at start. Clearing the junle could be considered establishing a spice plantation.

It would present a problem for rubber, however.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 20:28   #14
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Exactly. I think it would add a nice little twist - yes, zap that jungle if you like, but you might have a problem anyway. Although in general you're not in the business of clearing vast swathes of jungles before the industrial age anyway. As for luxuries, I think it would be nice if the price of having all those spices and suchlike would be having to keep the jungles. It takes the edge off the potential unfairness of a civilisation having lots of them simply because of starting position.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2004, 02:43   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
But at the same time, if you start in or near jungle, you will likely need to clear sooner rather than later or you will lose anyway. I don't think civs that start in jungles, even those brimming with rubber get an advantage, in fact I would say needing to spend all those worker turns clearing just to survive without spontaneous ebola outbreaks in all your cities is a DISadvantage. Extending the timescale of green jungly hell is just asking for rerolls of the map whenever anyone starts in a jungle.

Now if there was some way of giving those who started in jungles a bonus to deal with the reduced food + resources there, or just having jungles appear in very low thicknesses (less than when starting on an ancient world) this could work.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote