Old January 7, 2004, 02:01   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Yet another Bush endorsement, Ramo and Tass.
A vote for Bush is a vote for India!

Old January 7, 2004, 04:56   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:43
Impose "income taxes" on workers who work outside the United States for corporations that do business in the United States and use that money to cut corporate taxes on corporation that hire Americans.
Old January 7, 2004, 05:10   #33
yavoon
Warlord

we should encourage american companies to hire foreign workers.

we should encourage them to invest and develop in foreign markets. considering those markets are safe to do business in.

the result will hopefully be american companies benefiting from the jobs instead of other companies.

its corporate warfare out there
Old January 7, 2004, 08:22   #34
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 23:43
For those of you who want to end the "job drain": You do realise that if companies make products in the US instead of in Asia, you're going to pay a lot more for those products.

Do you really want to pay $500 for a pair of American-made running shoes when you can buy Asian-made running shoes for $100?

The massive profits that American companies make by outsourcing manufacturing to Asia will disappear. That means more layoffs of American white collar workers.
Old January 7, 2004, 08:24   #35
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Do you really want to pay $500 for a pair of American-made running shoes when you can buy Asian-made running shoes for $100?
Strange. Here I thought I got my Made in the USA New Balance Sneakers at the Skowhegan outlet for $30.

NB
Old January 7, 2004, 09:29   #36
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
wtf? Shoes can be cheap and still be good. And Boshko's correct--NB sneakers are cheap, good, and USAmade.

A better example would be cars. I heard a cheap statistic on a CNN program's guest once that a car made by GM in America would draw a $50 profit, but a $1000 profit if it was made in Asia.
Old January 7, 2004, 09:34   #37
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

The only sure way to ensure continous employment would be to tax factory and agricultural capital replacement, and invest those money in a state fund that invest in creation of stateowned industries.
Old January 7, 2004, 09:37   #38
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
For those of you who want to end the "job drain": You do realise that if companies make products in the US instead of in Asia, you're going to pay a lot more for those products.
That's what I said .

Quote:
Shoes can be cheap and still be good. And Boshko's correct--NB sneakers are cheap, good, and USAmade.
Do you think that 3rd World workers don't make ANY of NB's shoes? Come on.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 7, 2004, 09:49   #39
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Do you think that 3rd World workers don't make ANY of NB's shoes? Come on.
Not the ones I bought.

Quote:
The only sure way to ensure continous employment would be to tax factory and agricultural capital replacement, and invest those money in a state fund that invest in creation of stateowned industries.
Nah, you need a union movement with enough of a backbone to take over industries (ie Syndicalism) and turn them over to their workers. Not much of a chance of that happening any time soon unfortunately

And what the hell is "capital replacement?"
Old January 7, 2004, 09:58   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Not the ones I bought.
Totally American made? From the rubber of the soles onward?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 7, 2004, 10:01   #41
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Probably as much of it was made in the US as is made in *insert random Asian sneaker-producing country.* Not that I particularly care all that much (comparative advantage being a good thing and all) but labor costs aren't that big of a component in sneaker prices. The Hippo Regis effect is does a lot more to explain things...
Old January 7, 2004, 10:02   #42
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Elect a democrat
We said fix the problem, not make it worse!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old January 7, 2004, 10:03   #43
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko

And what the hell is "capital replacement?"
It is the process where the production of goods is replaced by maschines, lowering the overall demand for labour campared to total output.
Old January 7, 2004, 10:03   #44
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:43
Boycott companies that outsource labor.

BUY AMERIKIN.
Old January 7, 2004, 10:08   #45
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
It is the process where the production of goods is replaced by maschines, lowering the overall demand for labour campared to total output.
Ah the move to less labor intensive methods. What would happen if you taxes that is that people simply would have even less reason to build new (and thus generally less labor-intensive) factories in the US.
Old January 7, 2004, 11:39   #46
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Put all of our CEO in Jail.
Commie!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 11:40   #47
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Now there's an idea. Repealing tax cuts seems the ticket to me. Perfect stimulus to create jobs.
Why not? It worked for Clinton.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 7, 2004, 11:49   #48
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

It's not efficient over the long run to keep Americans working on things that can be done more efficently abroad.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 7, 2004, 11:55   #49
chequita guevara
Emperor

Efficiency is not the be al and end all of human existence.
Old January 7, 2004, 12:47   #50
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Not a goddamned thing.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 7, 2004, 12:50   #51
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
That's what I said .
QUIET, you evil capitalist.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:33   #52
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Of course it is silly commie .
Old January 7, 2004, 13:51   #53
pchang
King

Things balance out on their own
Eventually, other nations will catch up to the US standard of living and the US may slip a bit. Then things will even out on their own. Besides, we workers can always move to where the jobs are (at least I speak more than 1 language).

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old January 7, 2004, 13:59   #54
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 16:43
Well, what the administration could do is start a war with a much smaller country, thus boosting defense spending and hence defence jobs.

Hang on a minute, that sounds familiar...
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 7, 2004, 14:07   #55
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

The massive profits that American companies make by outsourcing manufacturing to Asia will disappear. That means more layoffs of American white collar workers.
you do realize, that considering that these countries don't buy anything from us, we will eventually not even be able to afford their cheap crap? We are going in to debt and selling US assets fast, eventually this is going to come crashing down on us. Economics lesson for you all, you don't have consumers without wages.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:10   #56
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:43
The only thingto do, which has been already done, and whichexplains the exceptional growth of the US in comparison with other rich countries, is an ambitious innovation policy, so that high-end products reained produced in the US rather than abroad.

It is impossibletocompete with low-wae countries when it comes to price. Rich countries must thus have an ambitious programe of high-quality production. Of course, good externalities, suchas a reliable transportation and power grid, or a well educated population does help.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:24   #57
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 08:43
pchang is right, the same thing basicaly happened with Mexico, the US (despire the fact that NAFTA has removed all the barriers) is not lossing jobs to Mexico anymore, the cost of labor their has incressed substantialy as the country has grown wealthier from trade. Its China and India that we worry about now. the same process of Equalization will inevitably occure

Another thing that many people dont realize. US companies DO NOT shut down PROFITABLE factories to start A REPLACMENT factory in another country! Doing that would be beyond idiotic, no one will incurre that kind of risk and just throw away a source of profit like that. They only shut down an American factory when it becomes UN-PROFITABLE. If the American factory is making a profit they might start up another one in China to make MORE profit ofcorse but their not going to shut down a profitable factory for ANY reason, not even if the chinesse offer to work for FREE, their are so many start up costs and risks involved. We are lossing jobs because our Factories are UNPROFITABLE not because their is cheap labor in forign countries, cheap labor only causes us to loose a portion of any expantion in capacity. The real problem is "how do we make our indusries more profitable"

For example the Factory I work at is soon going to have some new buisness, we will be making a totaly new product which consist of a thin sheet of plastic that snaps onto a CD to protect it from scratching. The nifty part is that you can play the CD with the thing on and thus is never has to come off the CD ever. Despite the fact that this is product is brand new and inteded for a global market they still wish to have HALF of it produced in the US simply for the convenience, reliability and proimity. Its an insurance policy incase anything unexpected happens, also the US factory will be used to test and refine improvments in the Product a very hard thing to do if your forced to fly halfway around the world and speak to people who dont know english. When you consider all the advantages we have it becomes obvious that the reson we are in trouble is the terrible mismanagment of US industries over the last several decades which have created an oportunity for savy 3rd world companies and goverments to explit.

We left the Front door wide open and tied up the guard dog then they came in and took the Stereo. Thouse cunning Asian burglers with their unfair tactics, how will we ever protect ourselves, whooo is us!
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 7, 2004, 14:26   #58
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Why not? It worked for Clinton.
[typical conservative rant]

and thats what got us to a recession in the first place

[/typical conservative rant]

Tell you what Che, if your so enthralled with increasing taxes you can pay more. Feel free to pay my share as well. I'll still pay at current rate b/c Il'd rather have my money to invest and thus fuel future jobs creation in the efficient private sector.

Course if you want innefficient, jobs creation, entitlement, reduce the standard of living, increase the misery index, feel free to bloat the government even further. Lord knows it bloated enough by the Repubs in order to win the upcoming election.

As others so often put. The answer is do nothing. Jobs are the last indicator of recovery and are coming back.

Silly commie

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 7, 2004, 14:28   #59
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Of course it is silly commie .
Maybe for you soulless robots. For us humans, happiness is more important than some arbitrary definition of efficiency.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:29   #60
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
occure

Another thing that many people dont realize. US companies DO NOT shut down PROFITABLE factories to start A REPLACMENT factory in another country! Doing that would be beyond idiotic, no one will incurre that kind of risk and just throw away a source of profit like that. They only shut down an American factory when it becomes UN-PROFITABLE. If the American factory is making a profit they might start up another one in China to make MORE profit ofcorse but their not going to shut down a profitable factory for ANY reason, not even if the chinesse offer to work for FREE, their are so many start up costs and risks involved. We are lossing jobs because our Factories are UNPROFITABLE not because their is cheap labor in forign countries, cheap labor only causes us to loose a portion of any expantion in capacity. The real problem is "how do we make our indusries more profitable"
Obviously that means increasing taxes

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter