King

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Me- I understand.
He- You understand?
Me- Hmmm. Copy all.
He- (laughs) No need for further verification of military service, I don't suppose.
What would your friends say about you, were I to bring them in for discussion?
Me- Friends? (Because in thinking ahead I was assuming bosses or co-workers)
He- (laughs, again) Yes, friends. People you hang around with? You know.
NOW, ACS crosses my mind, for SOME ungodly reason
Me- Nothing that would get me hired here, I can tell you that much.
Let me give you some friendly piece of advice: you really need to work on your interview skills.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old January 8, 2004, 13:01   #122
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 10:43
I guess you'd have had to have been there.
Old January 8, 2004, 13:12   #123
MrFun
Emperor

no thanks
Old January 8, 2004, 13:16   #124
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I wish my job field allowed for making half the things up, and ignoring the other half.
Nice, isn't it MrFun?

Old January 8, 2004, 13:17   #125
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I wish my job field allowed for making half the things up, and ignoring the other half.
Nice, isn't it MrFun?

it's fabulous
Old January 8, 2004, 13:18   #126
MrFun
Emperor

Of course, the pattern of the Confederate flag would look much nicer on toilet paper than on cloth meant for an actual flag.
Old January 8, 2004, 14:35   #127
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:43
Just one question:

Why should your employer pay for your health care?
Old January 8, 2004, 14:38   #128
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
They shouldn't but neither should it be in the hands of the government bunglers.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 8, 2004, 14:54   #129
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 11:43
Quote:
Dan, a commie. A COMMIE?!?!

Well, the question really is "want should the US government do about the job drain". Why should the government be empowered to stop the trend? Are we now going to have 5-year plans or some other nonsense?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 8, 2004, 15:49   #130
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
They shouldn't but neither should it be in the hands of the government bunglers.
We are just talking about health insurance here. The problems come in when the government tries to control prices or dictate medical procedures. (BTW, if the government were paying for health insurance, we would all have an incentive to curb tort lawyers to reduce costs and taxes.)

But, as far as I can tell, health insurance has nothing to do with one's job and is a business cost that is part of the reason businesses are moving jobs to regions where they can hire workers and not provide health care insurance. If basic health care insurance were provided by the government instead, businesses could hire workers without having to take on this enormous burden.

Health insurance today can cost as much as $1000 per month for each employee. If you are trying to hire an assembler for $20,000 per year max cost, you only pay that employee $8,000 (assuming no other government-imposed costs) if you had to give him health care insurance as well. One can easily see just how health care insurance has become a major reason for jobs moving outside the United States.

edit: corrected math

Last edited by Ned; January 8, 2004 at 16:30.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:01   #131
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I agree. Your preaching to the choir. Health care costs are a huge disincentive to emplyers/employment. What concerns me is once inthe hand of the government one can only shortly see teh massive regualtion that would occur dictating medical practices and costing ala medicaid.

The long and short of it is this:

Basically anything the goverenment can do to make employers more profitable is going to be a stimulus to employment.

What I find ironic is that the left has a complete distaste for private industry so as a consequence has a tough time finding government policies that stimulate job creation that meet their agenda. Any stimulus policies by default would be pro-industry and hence a problem for them.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 8, 2004, 16:20   #132
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Just one question:

Why should your employer pay for your health care?
Because employers like healthy, happy employees. If your employees don't have health care, they are more likely to be disgruntled and more likely to need more time off work.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 8, 2004, 16:34   #133
Ned
King

Ogie, you are right about the left and jobs. They say they are pro jobs but anti-business. The two concepts do not comfortably co-exist.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:38   #134
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

And yet that is the left's rallying cry about Bush.

Bush didn't create jobs. Bush didn't create jobs.

Whats he supposed to do?

Be FDR and create another wave of governement works programs. Fabricate WW2.

Whoops perhaps both of those are a little to close to the mark.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; January 8, 2004 at 23:41.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:57   #135
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
health insurance has nothing to do with one's job and is a business cost that is part of the reason businesses are moving jobs to regions where they can hire workers and not provide health care insurance.
You DO realize that employers don't HAVE TO PROVIDE health insurance, don't you? It is something they do to entice workers.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 8, 2004, 17:07   #136
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
health insurance has nothing to do with one's job and is a business cost that is part of the reason businesses are moving jobs to regions where they can hire workers and not provide health care insurance.
You DO realize that employers don't HAVE TO PROVIDE health insurance, don't you? It is something they do to entice workers.
Yes, of course Imran.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:14   #137
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:43
DanS, Chegitz, if you're interested in the comparative analysis of educational system, here is the link to the PISA study

You may be interested in the complete thing, but beware, the document is a monster (323 pages)
Old January 8, 2004, 17:15   #138
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yes. Matter of fact I'm in that situation currently. Fortunately the wife has full bennies.

Old January 8, 2004, 17:30   #139
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Yes, of course Imran.
So your point really doesn't matter that much. If they were scared of health care insurance costs, they could simply not offer any.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 8, 2004, 17:32   #140
Spiffor

Quote:
So your point really doesn't matter that much. If they were scared of health care insurance costs, they could simply not offer any.
Imran, I hope your post will ring the other's bell that comapnies do not only look at labor cost when they invest
Old January 8, 2004, 17:39   #141
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, of course Imran.
I think what Ned was saying is that free from the overhead burden and faced with now much greater proftiability, industry would now look at greater opprotunities to invest/grow in the US.

My point is and was that shifting it to the governement is pointless in that governement inefficiency would make the actual costs greater and in all likelihood be apportioned back to those same industries in the form of higher taxes to the rich/corporations.

Old January 8, 2004, 18:06   #142
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I hope your post will ring the other's bell that comapnies do not only look at labor cost when they inves
I thought that was obvious .

Productivity is, obviously, more important than people who'll take lower wages. Much more money to be made if you have one skilled guy working a machine, rather than a factor of unskilled laborers. Especially in the long run.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:34   #143
Ned
King

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, of course Imran.
Well we have Social Security as well as company retirement plans. But the better the one, the less expensive the other.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:40   #144
Ned
King

My point also is that the more we move social costs onto government, the less incentive businesses have to go offshore to avoid paying those social costs themselves. Today, businesses offer retirement and health to US employees. Both are not true business expenses. As was observed by Imran, they are offered as bene's only to attach and "lock in" employees. Moving these costs out of business would reduce the incentive of businesses to move offshore.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:45   #145
Japher
Emperor

So, buisnesses are leaving because American workers have become too demanding. They want a cush job, making a good salary, with health benefits, a retirement plan, and whatever other perks they can grab.

At the same time, on other continents, there are people who are just asking for enough money to put food on the table.

If a company can get away from giving in to every demand of their greedy employees than they will. Cutting costs is key to profitability which is key to success.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:50   #146
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I might remind you that the only reason this country is wealthy is because of "greedy" employees. Or do you think sweatshop laborers can afford to buy their own products? You're the kind of people that would buy a tiger protection rock that obviously works because there are no tigers around.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 8, 2004, 18:57   #147
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Moving these costs out of business would reduce the incentive of businesses to move offshore.
Um... wouldn't moving these costs to government increase corporate taxes as well? So I don't see the 'less incentive'.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:32   #148
Ned
King

Quote:
Quote:
Moving these costs out of business would reduce the incentive of businesses to move offshore.
Um... wouldn't moving these costs to government increase corporate taxes as well? So I don't see the 'less incentive'.
Imran, if they increase corporate taxes to pay for this, I agree that it will not help. No, they need to impose social security-type taxes or increase SS taxes to pay for this kind of social welfare.
Old January 8, 2004, 22:04   #149
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
So, buisnesses are leaving because American workers have become too demanding. They want a cush job, making a good salary, with health benefits, a retirement plan, and whatever other perks they can grab.

At the same time, on other continents, there are people who are just asking for enough money to put food on the table.
When they are analphabets, can't use a computer, or can't use semi-complex machine-tools, these less demanding people are much less worth to the greedy amployer than any "whiny" American laborer.
When there is no satisfying road, rail or sea route to transfer the production from the sweat-shops to the malls, the factory is much less worth than one in the US, no matter how cheap it is.
When there are mafias galore, high mortality among employees that cannot get experience, and massive corruption, the place sucks compared to the US, no matter the cost.

Japher, you're one of the many people who should think a bit about investment decisions. If you wanted to build a car factory, would you do it in Sudan (where you're sure the people won't demand more than a bowl of rice a day?), or would you do it in the US? Think about it for one minute, and tell me the pluses and the minuses of each place, then your eventual decision.
Old January 8, 2004, 22:32   #150
Kidicious
Deity

Re: What should the US do about the job drain?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
What is the answer?
1) Shorter work week

2) International minimum wage