Old January 7, 2004, 10:27   #1
da_hal
Warlord

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
old fart nostalgia
inspired by the guy who had wooden risk pieces...post up any oddities in early games you had/played. for me:

*Pong clone for home TV's. It outlasted two of my computers. Included "jai alai" for self-pleasuring.

*"The Temple of Apshai" on cartridge for the c64. I always wondered why the ibm version was so crappy in comparision.

*Spirograph. 'Nuff said.
Old January 7, 2004, 10:30   #2
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:45
Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal

*Spirograph. 'Nuff said.

Hours of fun.

i'd look for it for POTM, except she seems to have some REAL artistic ability, and can actually draw stuff on her own.
Old January 7, 2004, 11:47   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:45
Pong clone for TV ruled!
Old January 7, 2004, 13:51   #4
Stuie
King

Hunt the Wumpus on a TRS80. Classic.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:48   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:45
Etch 'o' Sketch

Rock em Sock em Robots.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:32   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Ive still got a Pong clone, or i dont know what it is....... the box says "Grandstand" on it and it has two scrolly controllers with really stiff buttons. I know it had a football tennis and pong game on it, id look but its in the loft.

I also played another game at my friends house, it was called Castles and Dragons or something, but all we did was fire these blue and red chips with the plastic crossbow and catapult at our castles, constructed lovingly with plastic bricks.

"Etcher Sketch" also owned because no one could draw anything good on it, except a house with strange lines across it.
Old January 7, 2004, 15:49   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
Pinball machines with mechanical scoreboards and the flashy digital ones. oooo the sound,

djing..!!!! dzink djingk dg dg dg ting !!
Old January 7, 2004, 16:39   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:45
Castles and Catapults had plastic castles, rocks, and ships with rubber bands holding ledges for little plastic soldiers. Each side then used spring action catapults with red plastic balls and launched them at the other side. If the ball hit the right spot it would trigger the rubberband and send the soldier flying into the air.
Old January 7, 2004, 22:29   #9
da_hal
Warlord

that reminds me of another game i had. it was a board game, that had little traps hooked up with rubber bands, and interesting things would happen if the traps were set off. i remember we played it so much, there was only like 1 working rubber band left, so we had to use our imagination on the others.

if i recall correctly, it was like a haunted house or halloween themed monster game.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:31   #10
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Castles and Catapults had plastic castles, rocks, and ships with rubber bands holding ledges for little plastic soldiers. Each side then used spring action catapults with red plastic balls and launched them at the other side. If the ball hit the right spot it would trigger the rubberband and send the soldier flying into the air.
Thats it i think, Castles and Catapults, although i know they werent "balls" they were shaped like gambling chips but they had round stickers of different rank of men on each chip, flicking one of those at someones face, especially with the crossbow, was quite painful, IIRC.

Quote:
if i recall correctly, it was like a haunted house or halloween themed monster game.
It sounds abit like the Trapdoor boardgame.
Old January 8, 2004, 04:17   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:45
Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal
*"The Temple of Apshai" on cartridge for the c64. I always wondered why the ibm version was so crappy in comparision.
I thought it's the Upper Reaches of Apshai? I played it on an Atari though.
Old January 8, 2004, 04:25   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
It sounds abit like the Trapdoor boardgame.
Do you mean Mousetrap?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 8, 2004, 07:53   #13
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
MouseTrap didn't need rubber bands.
Old January 8, 2004, 08:01   #14
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

According to this review http://www.ciao.co.uk/Mousetrap__Review_60440 the elastic bands were a central theme.

Quote to save clicking on the link...

Quote:
My kids were given this game by their Aunt, to whom I would like to say a huge thankyou, and ask if she wants to supply the hundreds of elastic bands that they keep breaking and asking for replacements!
They love it, it keeps them quiet for hours, when they can stop arguing about who is going to set up the next piece.
However, the fact that they continuously break the elastic band, lose the marble and leave lots of tiny pieces laying around, drives me crazy!!!
Not sure how long this game is going to last in our house to be perfectly honest.
PWND!!!!!!1!111!eleven

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 08:02   #15
Jamski
Deity

Although I'm not sure where the elastic bands go... but this is a new version.

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 08:17   #16
Maquiladora
Emperor

I cant remember where the elastic bands go either. I suspect his kids are lying to him and are using the replacement elastic bands for something else...

Quote:
Do you mean Mousetrap?
No, dont you remember Trapdoor?

Old January 8, 2004, 08:35   #17
Jamski
Deity

OMG! When I see the picture the music comes into my head! Noooooo!

"Don't go near the Trapdoor!" ????

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 08:50   #18
Maquiladora
Emperor

Don’t you open that trapdoor!
Your a fool if you dare.
Don’t you open that trapdoor,
Cause theres something down there.
Old January 8, 2004, 08:54   #19
Jamski
Deity

OPEN the trapdoor, of course *slaps head* ... but he always did open it and something would come out and his boss would get mad, and he'd have to cook a slug pie... ah it all comes back.

I prefered "Dogtanian & the 3 Muskerhounds" or "Cities of Gold".

Better music too

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 09:55   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

Do you mean Mousetrap?

-Jam
POTM has a friend who has Mousetrap, and she has gotten into it, which warms my heart, since i remember loving it. What surprised her was when I told her there was a Television show based on the game. Anyone else here remember that?

Etch a sketch i liked, POTM can take it or leave it.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:14   #21
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I had mousetrap when I was about 5..............can't believe they still make it. Quality game though.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:30   #22
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
I had mousetrap when I was about 5..............can't believe they still make it. Quality game though.
Basically the toy and games industry has figured out that a lot of toys and games get purchased by parents and other adults, and so theres a market for the games that we remember and are nostalgic about - and board games arent made obsolete by technology like computer and video games - I recent trip to toys'r'us in search of board games reveals a mix of boomer era games like Life, mousetrap, stratego,operation etc, classics like monopoly and scrabble, and a few 'contemporary" games.
Old January 8, 2004, 10:33   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

By the way the continued existence of board games provides another spin on the PC vs Console thing - one of the advantages of consoles being the ease of multiplayer in the same room with RL friends - for those of us with console free households board games provide the same advantage, without requiring investment in yet another gaming platform, and without pressure to buy some of the console games i wouldnt want around the house.
Old January 8, 2004, 11:11   #24
Jamski
Deity

The greatest board game is RISK. Wonderful for family arguments all day long Or Monopoly with the usual insane house rules (buying shares in people's hotel chains?)

-Jam
Old January 8, 2004, 11:36   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Thats it i think, Castles and Catapults, although i know they werent "balls" they were shaped like gambling chips but they had round stickers of different rank of men on each chip, flicking one of those at someones face, especially with the crossbow, was quite painful, IIRC.
Hmmm. I think yours is Castles and Catapults and mine is Weapons & Warriors now that I think about it. The one I was talking about had Pirate sets with ships and cannons also.
Old January 8, 2004, 14:02   #26
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
No, dont you remember Trapdoor?

Could someone please tell me what this actually was about?

I remember playing a game (On C64) with those person on the picture, and there were something about some trapdoor or something... I never actually figured out what it was about... It was a long time before I learned to read/speak english...
Old January 8, 2004, 15:54   #27
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 3, 2010
ZX Galaxian for the Sinclair ZX81.

Spellbound, Ant Attack, Sabre Wulf, Lords of Midnight and Manic Miner - all for the ZX Spectrum.

Long live the Speccy!!!
Old January 8, 2004, 15:55   #28
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Oh, I forgot ELITE. That game kicked ass.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:46   #29
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Ah fond memories on all of this. We called the 10 unit pieces tenners. My friend and I used to divide up all the colors and set up the board with all of the armies in strange patterns and structures, then we would go to war. Sure did take a while though.

Does anyone remember battling tops?
Crossfire? (steel ball in a plastic hoop, blue and red. Two opposing guns that fired steel balls and the red and blue "pucks" Trying to get them in your opponents goal, or keep them from yours.
Seeing "Star Trek"'s original broadcasts?
Old January 8, 2004, 16:55   #30
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
What surprised her was when I told her there was a Television show based on the game. Anyone else here remember that?
You asked that same question in some other thread, and i remember seeing some 70's maybe 60's gameshow. Strange which subjects you remember.

Quote:
I prefered "Dogtanian & the 3 Muskerhounds"
Also excellent, didnt ever play a game of it, but yes, the music was great on the cartoon

Quote:
Could someone please tell me what this actually was about?
"OPEN the trapdoor, of course *slaps head* ... but he always did open it and something would come out and his boss would get mad, and he'd have to cook a slug pie... ah it all comes back."

Thats about it