Local Date: November 2, 2010
Any of these crazy british computers:

1.Dragon 32
2.Oric 1
3.M5
4.Jupiter Ace
5.ZX80/81

I got the ZX81 - it was horrible
No tape deck, so everything was typed in on that nasty 'touch sensative' keyboard/plank
No colour/no sound.
1K ram.......ah the amazing games you could play

Anyone remember the name of that super home computer from the 80's(dont know which country made it) that had 128k and could run different software from differnet platforms, if my memmory hasn't gone it also had the capability to display 320x200ish in about 16 colours i think?

I didnt dream this did I?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:48   #33
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 15:45
The Sam Coupe?
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old January 8, 2004, 20:12   #34
da_hal
Warlord

on the ibm, it was called "the temple of apshai trilogy", one part of it was called "the upper reaches of apshai" if i'm not mistaken.

re: nostalgia factor in new games
I just saw "Life: the Padwan Path" or something in KayBee the other day, with the movie tie-in to star wars. I've never played Life, so i'm leaning towards that.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:38   #35
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal
inspired by the guy who had wooden risk pieces...post up any oddities in early games you had/played. for me:
I actually saw a Risk board like that at a garage sale once. Didn't have all the pieces, but thought it was odd having wooden pieces.

That was when 'I' was a kid, so you must really be old :P
Old January 9, 2004, 00:26   #36
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
The greatest board game is RISK. Wonderful for family arguments all day long
Risk! with crazy house rules is great. Like that time we put in oil fields and pipelines
Old January 9, 2004, 04:17   #37
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

OIL FIELDS!

We had a set of home-made "tactics cards" of which you could take one whenever you took a "risk card" If you had three of the same tactics card you could make a "special move"
The ones I remember
  • 3 x Charge - attacking units win on a drawn roll.
  • 3 x Hold Firm - defenders roll one extra dice and take the best one(s)
  • 3 x Manover - As defender the fight is cancelled - as attacker the area is taken, but the defenders all stay alive and move into an adjacent region.
  • One of each - Superior firepower - your opponents lose double casualties in that fight.
They worked really well, but lead to arguments too

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 9, 2004, 08:14   #38
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
The Sam Coupe?
Might be i guess - i did a google but the pic of the Sam Coupe didn't jog my memmory.
I remember just before i bought my Atari 800XL looking at a comparison chart in an old issue of Computer+Video Games.
It had a few computers on the list comparing graphics abilities etc.
I thought it might have been the 'Einstien' but that old computer seems not to have the specs........maybe it was a computer that was in progress but never got released?
Anyway this computer was much more powerful than the rest in the list(Atari8bits/C64/Amstrads/BBCmicro's etc). Not that i lose sleep over not knowing what it is
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old January 9, 2004, 09:43   #39
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
Is the game that you were talking about not called Crossbows and Catapults, or was that a clever rip-off released to cash in on the success of Castles and Dragons (?), a game in which you go to fire plastic crossbows and catapults?

I had the Grandstand game too, and a Binatone, which was slightly more advanced, although the controls for both depended upon turning the little metal wheel on the handset to move your pong bat. Just like arcades used to be. Binatone had a motorcross game on it too (or was it BMX?), but that was awful, and I only ever played pong. It was quite good to have an arcade machine in your house, but by the time they were affordable, proper arcade machines were light years ahead of these rubbishy boxes. I wish I still had them, as they might be worth something these days.

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned Lego or Meccano yet. Meccano is out of favour these days, but I loved it when I was a kid, and wish I'd become an engineer (I could do it for real! ), but Lego have adapted quite well, and now offer all kinds of PC tie-ins, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars stuff, as well as the castles and spaceships, and the trusty traditional bricks and imagination combo that served me so well for so long.
Old January 9, 2004, 09:58   #40
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Is the game that you were talking about not called Crossbows and Catapults, or was that a clever rip-off released to cash in on the success of Castles and Dragons (?), a game in which you go to fire plastic crossbows and catapults?
YES!

It was Crossbows and Catapults definately, i dont know if thats the cheap rip off though.
Old January 9, 2004, 10:33   #41
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 08:45
The Old DUNGEON Boardgame, where you went down paths on a dice roll, went into rooms and rooled to defeat the monster there for the prize (each room had a monster card and a prize card), and rolled to drop prizes if you lost.

Got it in 1975 and played it with my brother a lot, and we devised a solitaire version we played well into our teens in the early 80's.

Then I got nostalgic as missionary in the late 80's and remade it from memory on cardstock. my companion and I would play for hours every sunday night.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old January 9, 2004, 12:17   #42
lord of the mark
Deity

Re: Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

I actually saw a Risk board like that at a garage sale once. Didn't have all the pieces, but thought it was odd having wooden pieces.

That was when 'I' was a kid, so you must really be old :P
i thought it was odd the first time i saw plastic risk pieces.

I refuse to admit im old.

I also remember metal monopoly pieces, and wooden houses and hotels.
Old January 9, 2004, 13:09   #43
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Re: Re: Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

I also remember metal monopoly pieces, and wooden houses and hotels.
My version has metal pieces; it is quite old I suppose. It has plastic houses and hotels though.
Old January 9, 2004, 15:09   #44
child of Thor
Emperor

Oh - how old do you need to be to qualify for this thread, anybody got any idea's?

We had a (not so old) boardgame over here called Talisman - it was so much fun I converted the basic style of play and produced various more complex versions for my friends to play - even did a futuristic version with laser swords etc........it was fun

And anyone remember those Adventure game books(like 'choose your own adventure', or Peter Jacksons 'Fighting Fantasy')
They got pretty complicated some of them, and pretty good too. 'The way of the assassin(or was it ninja?)' was one of my favourite series with a great game world and decent storylines. Can't remember who made them now.

I sold all mine(about 40books) for £20 just after i finished school, kinda wish i hadn't now.

Old January 9, 2004, 15:36   #45
DrSpike
Deity

Peter Jackson's books were a lot of fun.......I think my favourite was called Mask of Mayhem, since you had to unravel a riddle to get to the final page. If you couldn't do it then you couldn't see the ending, unless you read through every single page to find it.
Old January 9, 2004, 17:18   #46
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
i had an imitation computer console game which could play some lame version of asteroids.....i wish i remember what it was called though.

mousetrap had elastic bands, i had that game.

does anyone remember playing Trouble...it had the die in the bubble that you pushed down on and it would pop..and the die would roll...
Old January 9, 2004, 18:01   #47
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
does anyone remember playing Trouble...it had the die in the bubble that you pushed down on and it would pop..and the die would roll...
Yup.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:11   #48
DrSpike
Deity

In the UK it was called Frustration, and it ruled.
Old January 9, 2004, 18:31   #49
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:45
There was a old deluxe version of monopoly that was in a designer wooden case, and it had wooden houses/hotels.

Mousetrap was a favorite.

And I remember trouble.
Old January 10, 2004, 10:01   #50
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
In the UK it was called Frustration, and it ruled.
It blew. It was just Ludo, with the dice in a bubble so kids couldn't lose them. Pah, even snakes and ladders was better... or doctors and nurses

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 10, 2004, 10:31   #51
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah but it made a cool noise when it popped back up.
Old January 10, 2004, 15:05   #52
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Anyone remember the name of that super home computer from the 80's(dont know which country made it) that had 128k and could run different software from differnet platforms, if my memmory hasn't gone it also had the capability to display 320x200ish in about 16 colours i think?
The only computer I remember that could do that was from Ohio Scientific.
Old January 10, 2004, 15:06   #53
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
Then I got nostalgic as missionary in the late 80's and remade it from memory on cardstock.
Oh wow, I didn't know you were a missionary.
Old January 10, 2004, 15:11   #54
Urban Ranger
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Re: old fart nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
My version has metal pieces; it is quite old I suppose. It has plastic houses and hotels though.
Oh, I remember an old game we used to have when we were kids. It's a board game sort of like Monopoly or Career, but you draw your starting character such as Silverspoon, and they each have a fixed starting position and money. There's this one with no money but also doesn't have to pay fines for the first 5 times.

You wander around a board in circles like Monopoly but there are no houses or hotels, and there are subpaths that branch out like Career. And the money are carboard circles of various sizes.

Does anybody remember what it is?
Old January 10, 2004, 16:16   #55
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Of course almost every old Avalon Hill board war games are considered old timer material now.

I was cleaning out the closet the other day and found a bag of 4/6/8/20 sided dice. Ah, the nostalgia.
Old January 10, 2004, 16:33   #56
child of Thor
Emperor

Did you keep them, the dice? i bet you did I keep mine in a 'magic' bag of bits and bobs, just in case

Old January 10, 2004, 16:38   #57
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yep, guilty, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. My magic bag is an old royal blue Chevas bag.
Old January 10, 2004, 17:04   #58
child of Thor
Emperor

Well thats ok - you never know when you might need them........i think

Old January 10, 2004, 17:20   #59
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I still have my "MINES" D&D world in a binder, just in case.
Old January 10, 2004, 22:20   #60
Standup
Prince

I keep looking on ebay to see if early issues of White Dwarf (before they went all warhammer) are this year's hot item but i guess its not quite their time.

And i keep hoping Trapdoor will be released on DVD as my VHS are getting warn out.

There was the MSX computers which was suppose to be cross manufacturer but i think it was more a standard for mainly different japanese companies rather than running loads of different OS games.