View Poll Results: What map sizes do you play at?
Tiny 9 9.00%
Small 11 11.00%
Standard 32 32.00%
Large 22 22.00%
Huge 26 26.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 9, 2004, 09:39   #31
geniemalin
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tiny - I just don't have the time to play larger maps. Even at Tiny it'll still be a couple of weeks at least to finish a game.

If I decide to commit for the long haul I'd love to try a Huge map - although I'm not sure if I'd REX effectively given my tactics have all been developed on Tiny....
Old January 12, 2004, 13:33   #32
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
A huge map is currently being tested. This map, Sandland, features a huge desert planet with some oasis of settlement scattered around. Basically, most of the map makes a bad city site (doesn't seem to stop the AI from plopping down some cities in places where they'll never grow beyond size 3 though).
Old January 13, 2004, 09:11   #33
doubtsalmon2
Settler

I voted for small, standard, and large. I usually play on standard or small though. While huge maps can be fun I don't have that much time to play civ. I can play at least twice as many games on standard maps than on huge maps in the same amount of time which lets me try different civs, map settings, and strategies which keeps things much more interesting. I usually never finish playing a huge map because I get bored half way through and quit even if I was winning.
Old January 13, 2004, 11:33   #34
eris
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
I like huge, myself. Long games with a truly epic feel. I never did try the extra-huge maps I have heard about on the forums, but I have been tempted.

Lately, I have been doing Large. It is nearly as detailed and interesting as Huge, but I can keep the number of civs down to 8 (what fits conveniently on the dipolmacy screen) and still have some interaction between civs instead of just REX until you need an Forbidden Palace to build anymore.

I find I have no "feel" for the distances on the smaller maps, especially Tiny. Am I far away enough to worry about corruption, or for a Forbiden Palace? I know you are supposed to use the mini map to help judge relative distances, but have yet to internalize that. What looks like "the other side of the world" is actually much less in move turns than I estimate. I am sure that someone who plays smaller maps could have the reverse opinion of the maps that I play. (However, Tiny is an interesting option. It is almost like a complicated chessboard more than a map in my perception. I can understand why it would work well in MP situations.)
Old January 13, 2004, 13:12   #35
Emperor

Here's a picture from the Sandland map.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandland1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	61712  
Old January 13, 2004, 13:18   #36
Emperor

The AI's settlement strategy looks something like this.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandland2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	61713  
Old January 13, 2004, 13:22   #37
Emperor

Sandland map v1.0, (Huge)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip smiley_h01_sandland_1.zip (15.6 KB, 1 views)
Old January 13, 2004, 14:00   #38
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I usually gravitate towards Huge maps (I like having space).
Old January 13, 2004, 14:21   #39
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 10:45
Like other posters have mentioned here I use standard maps. The sole reason for me is processor performance, especially during the endgame. I'd like to play on larger maps but my processor would slow down significantly.
Old January 13, 2004, 15:17   #40
Antrine
Prince

Custom big huge (360 by 306) or 360 squared with 8 civs total each starting with 4 or 5 prebuilt cities and 15 settlers. Eight large empires slugging it out over epic time, starting 10,000 BC and crawling forward a few years per turn... By the second Age everyone has 35-50 cities. Then we settle down to a few alliances, trade and one long war...
I'll send you elsewhere
Old January 13, 2004, 17:21   #41
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:45
Antrine you should post some screen shots of that monster.
Old January 15, 2004, 09:46   #42
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
We can put down YS for huge.
and myself (usually)
Old January 15, 2004, 10:56   #43
Cerbykins
Warlord

Almost always huge. Must have the points to make up for low difficulty
Old January 16, 2004, 04:16   #44
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Usually huge.....but I think I'll start moving down to large/standard for some quicker games. Huge map games take forever.

Do people generally think a larger map size produces a more difficult game at the same level?
Old January 16, 2004, 05:20   #45
binyo66
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monkey
Chieftain

Huge. Large is taking long time to finish.
Old January 16, 2004, 05:34   #46
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 17:45
I play on all sizes depending on how mush time I have for a game, and what type of game I want.
Old January 16, 2004, 13:12   #47
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Standard preferred, small for quicker games.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:43   #48
bvoncranium
Warlord

Depends on the Objective
I choose the map size, and number of Civs, to fit the objective of the game.

If it's a game that's all about military conquest, I usually go with a Standard or Small map, as this gives enough room to build an infrastructure to support a decent military, while being close enough to opponents to get to attack or diplomacy action earlier rather than later.

If it's a game that's for exploration and building, I'll choose large, huge or custom. Since I usually play MP, spreading 8 or fewer Civs across a huge map gives everyone lots of room.

The other consideration is that often I lose patience with overly-large-map scenarios because it takes so long to process turns. I was recently involved in one PBEM game on a huge map wherein each player's turn was taking on the order of 2-3 hours each (!). Never again!!

- bvc
Old January 21, 2004, 05:26   #49
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I go for Monstrous.

I used the editor to rip out tiny and small, and put Humungous and Monstrous in their place.

Monstrous is 362x362, 31 flavors, and an optimal city number of 64.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.