Old January 9, 2004, 02:37   #91
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ben -- you're not allowed to participate in any other threads until you respond to my answer to your question in Boris' thread about work harrassment.

It's a new rule.
Old January 9, 2004, 02:46   #92
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Even stronger? Those are both very socially conservative states and the races there will likely be decided on social issues.
Why do you say that? Both Ohio and WV were tight races in 2000. Jobs usually determine who wins, and steel is very imporant in both states.

Quote:
The latest polls, and they were before Saddam's capture, Bush had a huge lead in Ohio in a potential matchup: 57-38
IIRC, those polls were taken in September. That doesn't tell you anything. Most people had little idea of who Dean was at the time, and national numbers for Bush vs. Dean were comparable. More recent national polls (like the CNN one a little while ago) show the gap to be much smaller.

Quote:
It isn't clear that a trade war will break out, and if it does how long it will take it to break out, and if longer peace can be negotiated, and with the EU and Japan on our side I doubt there is much the WTO can do.
I doubt that. If a country like China tells us that we're gonna have problems exporting to them until the farm subsidies go, just about every export industry we have will be up in arms.

Quote:
Moreover, those farming states again are extremely socially conservative and it is highly unlikely many would be competetive under any circumstance.
The midwest isn't that socially conservative. Not anything like that South, anyways. That's why Dems are perfectly competitive there, even have advanges in places like Iowa. And if farm subsidies go, so will their support for Shrub.

Quote:
These people ought to look more at empirical evidence, and it doesn't look like the nuclear issue will be that big of a deal, BUsh is ahead there by a huge margin.

Also interesting from the current polling is Bush's 25 point lead in New Hampshire, where Dean has gotten the most exposure, showing just how well Dean's message is getting across to voters.
Links to polls?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 9, 2004, 04:59   #93
Sikander
King

Local Time: 08:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Are you kidding? Shrub made verbal gaffes all the time, particularly during his first campaign. In contrast, Gore was very disciplined.

An even better example might be Reagan.
Yes, but that's not a lack of political wisdom on Shrub's part, it's dyslexia. He seems to have taken Reagan as his role model politically. While it might be good for him politically, it removes the presidency even further from the people. We never see him doing anything but transmitting the message of the day.
Old January 9, 2004, 05:02   #94
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Of course most of the people commenting here are the kind of people whose vote Dean isn't interested in.

If he annoys you he must be doing something right.
Yes you are right Horsie. Most of us are men, and a good number of us are white men. Dean is interested in appealling to Democrats, and only 22% of white men are registered Democrats.
Old January 9, 2004, 05:12   #95
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Actually if the repubs are successful in advertising it will be:

Option A: I hate Dean
Option B: I hate Bush

I predict this will be one of the dirtiest campaigns to date from both sides given the absolute hatred of Bush.
It seems likely I'll make my usual selection and choose:

Option C: I hate them both
Old January 9, 2004, 05:16   #96
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 11:47
I like Dean. Him and Clark should team up, kick the **** out of Dubya and his fat bastard VP.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 9, 2004, 05:29   #97
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
I like Dean. Him and Clark should team up, kick the **** out of Dubya and his fat bastard VP.
I don't have much respect for Dean or Clark, especially Clark. He supported the war and claims he didn't. That makes him likely wrong IMO as well as a liar by any definition. Dean spends way too much time ripping Bush and way too little time delineating his policy proposals. If elected no one is going to care how well he can rip Bush. Of the Dems Lieberman seems to be the class of the field. He's an adult who pretty much says what he beleives and does what he says.
Old January 9, 2004, 05:33   #98
KrazyHorse
Deity

He's a Republican wearing a Democrat suit.

If his nose had been any further up Bush's ass during Iraq then they would legally have been considered conjoined twins.

Clark did support Iraq, unfortunately. But that's part of why Dean needs him.

Plus they're both closet pinkos.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 9, 2004, 05:33   #99
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Ben -- you're not allowed to participate in any other threads until you respond to my answer to your question in Boris' thread about work harrassment.

It's a new rule.
Or what?

You'll sic the gay Mafia on me?
Old January 9, 2004, 05:34   #100
KrazyHorse
Deity

And somebody needs to rip into Bush, big time. You can't win against him without tearing him down. He's not vulnerable to high-minded platform debate because he's a demagogue.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 9, 2004, 06:50   #101
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
And somebody needs to rip into Bush, big time. You can't win against him without tearing him down. He's not vulnerable to high-minded platform debate because he's a demagogue.
I just don't think swing voters are going to respond to that without being presented with a set of alternatives. Not going into Iraq is not an alternative for any non-time travelling candidates.
Old January 9, 2004, 07:04   #102
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:47
After doing a little more research on the candidates, I'm convinced of only one thing:

The democratic candidate will be as bad as Bush.
It's difficult to choose the lesser of two evils when they are so similar to each other
Old January 9, 2004, 07:55   #103
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

It seems likely I'll make my usual selection and choose:

Option C: I hate them both

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 9, 2004, 09:35   #104
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Can someone explain to a non-American whether it makes any difference who the Democrat candidate will be.

As I understand it any of the Dems will have spent most of their funding to get the party nomination. GWB is a shoe-in for the Repub nomination so just at the point his challenger is starting to scrabble around for the cash to run the actual presidential campaign Bush will be unlocking his $100 million campaign piggy bank.

Whatever the Dem candidate's message is - who is actually going to hear it in the deluge of the Bush campaign message?
Old January 9, 2004, 09:49   #105
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

The money to run for the nomination is seperate from the candidates money to run for president i.e. the candidate will have party funding.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 9, 2004, 10:07   #106
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Thanks SpencerH.

Can the Dems afford a campaign to match what the Bush team will run?
Old January 9, 2004, 10:42   #107
Patroklos
Emperor

It depends on how ugly this Democratic primary get. I am acctually pretty suprised at the scale os smearing going on considering they all want to depose what they feel is the great Satan, Bush.

If they burn all their bridges now....
Old January 9, 2004, 10:53   #108
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

"I really appreciate how he uses his Christianity when it's popular, and puts it aside when it is not. Bush doesn't care what people think about his faith, if they disagree, they just have to deal with it. I would rather he just not try to pander to these votes, it would give me more respect for what Dean believes. Now he's just a weathercock."

Ben, I see this as the biggest hole in Dean's bucket. Nobody wants another fella who will wait on the polls before acting.

"Yes you are right Horsie. Most of us are men, and a good number of us are white men. Dean is interested in appealling to Democrats, and only 22% of white men are registered Democrats."

Real men don't vote democrat...

Btw, nobody responded to my previous post. Should I take it that it's easier to ignore than debate with?
Old January 9, 2004, 10:56   #109
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I dont think the dems'll have quite as much as the repubs but I think thats the normal situation.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 9, 2004, 14:18   #110
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:47
Ann Coulter said yesterday that Dean has the nomination and that the media are just hyping the Democrat campaign because there is nothing better to do.

In truth, Dean does seem to be far ahead at this point. Does anyone else have a real shot at the nomination?
Old January 9, 2004, 16:02   #111
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Early leads can still disappear in a puff of smoke. Remember Gary Hart?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 9, 2004, 16:12   #112
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I just don't think swing voters are going to respond to that without being presented with a set of alternatives. Not going into Iraq is not an alternative for any non-time travelling candidates.
Yep... Dean needs to read **** Morris' "The New Prince".

Quote:
We don't even have to go that far. Phil Gramm was the guy with the money and poll numbers in 1996, until Dole smoked him.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 10, 2004, 10:45   #113
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"It's difficult to choose the lesser of two evils when they are so similar to each other"

That's why there are other parties around...

Wraith
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell
Old January 10, 2004, 11:21   #114
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
It depends on how ugly this Democratic primary get. I am acctually pretty suprised at the scale os smearing going on considering they all want to depose what they feel is the great Satan, Bush.

If they burn all their bridges now....
What makes you think they all want to get rid of him?

I know two specific inviduals who more than likely don't -- one backed Dean, the other backed Clark
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 10, 2004, 12:49   #115
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
But he didn't have the money.

No candidate who led in money at this point in the race has failed to get the nomination since 1976. Dean is so far ahead fiscally that I think he's virtually bagged it. Only Clark has a reasonable chance of catching up, and I think it's a longshot.

Latest polls show Dean ahead in Iowa now, outpacing Gephardt by several points. He continues to lead strongly in New Hampshire, and Kerry's dropped to third, which spells his death knell.

IMO, Dean wins the Iowa caucuses, which stops Gephardt dead. He then goes on to mop up in NH, so Kerry's done. Clark will use his 2nd place finish to pick up strength and will win SC. His winning SC will kill Leiberman and Edwards, as that would be their only hope of staying in the race.

But it's over after that, because Dean will win enough of the primaries on Super Tuesday to end all serious contention.
Old January 10, 2004, 12:53   #116
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Here's another scenario, Boris:

After the dust settles following SC, the other candidates and power brokers unify behind Clark. It's not enough to prevent Dean from winning most of the delegates, but he's close.

Fast forward to the convention, and the superdelegates vote overwhelming in favor of Clark, giving him the edge and the nomination.

--Would there be a revolt on the convention floor?
--Would Clark ask Dean to be his VP? Would Dean accept?
--Would the Democratic party be toast, or would they unify for the sole purpose of beating Bush?
Old January 10, 2004, 12:53   #117
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
But it's over after that, because Dean will win enough of the primaries on Super Tuesday to end all serious contention.
Gore over Clinton. Interesting...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 12, 2004, 06:00   #118
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:47
Why would the other candidates move their support to Clark?

He is a Republican, after all.
Old January 12, 2004, 10:33   #119
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I don't have much respect for Dean or Clark, especially Clark. He supported the war and claims he didn't. That makes him likely wrong IMO as well as a liar by any definition. Dean spends way too much time ripping Bush and way too little time delineating his policy proposals. If elected no one is going to care how well he can rip Bush. Of the Dems Lieberman seems to be the class of the field. He's an adult who pretty much says what he beleives and does what he says.

I always love it when Sikander says exactly what I'm thinking, but can't communicate effectively because I'm a moron.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:58   #120
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Local Date: November 3, 2010
If foreigners like me like I suspect Dean is dead in the water.

I also like General Clarke so that's the end of him.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?