Old January 8, 2004, 12:42   #1
JesseSmith
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
FIRAXIS: v1.13 and Patch Information
This was a patch that was released to a few people to review and IS NOT an official patch release. If you do download it, YOU MUST INSTALL V1.12 FIRST!

To prevent too much confusion regarding the patches, the next one will not be released until the end of next week. It will be a full Beta patch (as opposed to v1.13 which is just an update) and include all of the required files.

PLEASE NOTE: v1.13 has an altered corruption calculation so dont be surprised if it feels very different.

A full non-Beta patch version will be released at the end of February.

Thanks for the support!
JesseSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 12:45   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:50
Thanks for the clarification Jesse!
Old January 8, 2004, 12:56   #3
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
Jesse,
We hear rumor of a 1.14 beta which restores the corruption model to that of Civ3 and PtW. Any truth to this? And if so
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Last edited by chequita guevara; January 8, 2004 at 16:28.
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 13:20   #4
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 17:50
Thanks for the update, and thanks for working so hard for all us civ-addicts... now let´s se if I can finish my current game before the next patch
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 14:13   #5
eris
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
Thanks for the update and thanks for the beta patch. Both are evidence of a responsiveness of the company towards its fan base. That is wonderful. Keep up the good work and don't let people complaining get to you. Even if it is me. (I'm confused. Are we to patch 3.14159 yet? Oh, that wouldn't be a beta; it would be a pi.)
Old January 8, 2004, 14:40   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:50
ah, things are clearer now.

thanks for the info, Jesse!
Old January 8, 2004, 15:08   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
Thanks for the update
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 15:15   #8
Stuie
King

Thanks for the update/clarification Jesse!!!!
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 16:55   #9
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Sorry, but it seems like you guys might want to ask for a toggle/slider for corruption on the game set-up screen. That way everyone can be happy.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:49   #10
Bonaparte
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
Sorry, but it seems like you guys might want to ask for a toggle/slider for corruption on the game set-up screen. That way everyone can be happy.
Funny that you mention that...I used the editor to lower corruption (keeping all other rules the same) and then played the game...only thing is was that I lowered it to far...you gotta have a little corruption. Well, gonna start a new game today, but I guess I'll download 1.13 first...hope it helps.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:20   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Thanks for the intel, Jesse.

But, uh, is there anything you want us to be doing? I'm a little confused...

Between now and next Friday, should we be playing with 1.12 or 1.12+1.13?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 20:34   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Heh, yeah, that's a good question. So in essence, we weren't supposed to have the 1.13 patch now?
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 21:12   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes thanks, but where is the link for the 1.13 or 1.14 for that matter?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2004, 22:19   #14
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Well, as a fan, its nice to have more, more, more. But,....this getting leaked is not a good thing. Not at all. My concern is the effect on trust this may have toward the community.

And, Jesse if this is exactly that, a leak, you've handled it very well....publicly.

Last edited by dojoboy; January 9, 2004 at 09:08.
dojoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 08:51   #15
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
Does anybody know what 1.13 had changed (file wise), as an official 1.13 needs to cope with v1.00, v1.12 & v1.13(unofficial) .. else we'll all end up in a pickle. Im guessing thats not an issue if official 1.13 files simply replace those of the unofficial update.
Old January 9, 2004, 09:59   #16
MyOlde
Prince

Play 1.12 now and hang on until the end of next week when, as Jesse says, a real BETA patch will come out.
Old January 9, 2004, 10:39   #17
Alex
Emperor

With all this mess, I'm starting to consider the possibility of waiting for the official non-beta patch to be released at the end of February.
Old January 9, 2004, 11:02   #18
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Will these new Patches be uninstallable and not interfer with old save games? If so i might try them and help find some bugs.. see if it works with my 7 Ages of Man mod as well.

Its normally best to use official patches, as Beta patches can have errors or bugs in. I would make sure you save any information or files in other apps while running Beta versions, as it might be possible you get a serious computer crash.. though dosen't seem very likely with civ3's patches.

Will moddable wonders that give reduced corruption be affected?
Admiral PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 12:09   #19
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
Will these new Patches be uninstallable and not interfer with old save games?
I haven't tried it out, but they do show up in my "Add/Remove Programs" list in XP.
Personally, I'm using 1.13 already and not noticing any problems. I DLed each beta ASAP and have had no problems whatsoever, though since there's no incentive for me to revert to 1.00, I can't say whether it's a problem or not.

If it worries you , you could always have two installations of the game and only patch one of them, though that sounds like a real pain.

If you have little tolerance for actually being a beta tester and actually sending in feedback when you encounter a bug, I'd advise waiting. If you prefer the fire to the frying pan, patch away - since both versions are (arguably) buggy, it really just depends on which bugs you'd rather play with.

But yes, they do show up in your "Add/Remove Programs" list.
Old January 9, 2004, 12:48   #20
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

What I did was similar to what Jesse says to do with the 1.12 patch. I made a directory called 1.12(ok orginality is not my strong suit) and copied all the files from the conquest directory into there before installing the patch.

Now to the actually patch. It seems to work fine. The FP is still not up to the level where you have a true second core. Citys not far from the FP now have 50% corruption(this will avry depending on your number of cites and where the FP is built). So you end up with a moderately productive area, but still not the FP that we all know and love. It almost seems that the best strategy is to find the best potentially productive city and put the FP there.

All told though this is a good step forward(and the game is truly playable) we really need to either lower corruption a tad or restore the FP to its' former glory. I understand that there are those who want the FP weakened to balance out the game. My advice is to go up a level then(unless your on Sid level and winning, in which case to quote Wayne's World "We're unworthy"). You'll find the AI balanced by the cheapness of items and its free support.

Thats all for now(awaiting the next patch)
Aggie
Old January 9, 2004, 17:14   #21
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I wonder if the person who 'leaked' this patch is still a beta tester....
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 17:31   #22
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
I wonder if the person who 'leaked' this patch is still a beta tester....
Or still has his house
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 18:21   #23
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Or still has his house
Or is a live.

I'm sure the Firaxis gestapo has gotten to him by now.

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 01:22   #24
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Guys,

Just been looking at the info on the patch, and I just have a quick question-either for the Firaxis/BA Games people, or for anyone out there who has actually used the new patch! In regards to FP and SPHQ increasing Optimal City number by 50%-does this ability actually exist in a flag in the improvements editor? i.e. is there now a flag which says 'increases OCN by 50%'?
If the answer is a YES then all I can say is FANTASTIC, this is what I've been waiting for almost since the game first came out!!!!
If the answer is NO then, how does this ability ACTUALLY work?
Anyway, any answers you guys can give me would be VERY much appreciated !!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 02:21   #25
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

The_Aussie_Lurker, they hard-coded it. According to Jesse/Tavis in the corresponding thread Civ3 - Conquests > FIRAXIS: v1.13 and Patch Information at CFC, the only files that are changed in the upcoming beta-patch next week are the .exe file and Labels.txt.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 01:18   #26
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hiya Jaybe, thanks for the info !!

My next question then is this: If I were to have a corruption-reducing Small Wonder-say a 'Senate' or 'Parliament'-how would I be able to give it the same OCN increasing ability as the FP or SPHQ-if at all? Any answers you can give me would again be very much appreciated !!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 02:01   #27
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
The_Aussie_Lurker, they hard-coded it. According to Jesse/Tavis in the corresponding thread Civ3 - Conquests > FIRAXIS: v1.13 and Patch Information at CFC, the only files that are changed in the upcoming beta-patch next week are the .exe file and Labels.txt.
In checking my Unerase program, which I cleaned out before installing the 1.15 Beta patch earlier (I have been doing this for a while to see what files were updated with each patch), about 20 or 21 files were replaced, which also include the Drvmgt.dll, secdrv, many of the Conquests biq files (both MP and SP), some pediaicons and civpedia files.

Addit:

Here is the link for the 1.15 Beta Patch now available.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=106315

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseSmith
http://www.civfanatics.net/~tavis/files/C3CBETAv115.zip

BETA PATCH! Public Release will not be until the end of February so if you aren't interested in reviewing it please do not use it!

Make a backup of your original Civ3Conquests.exe, jgl.dll, and text\labels.txt

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HAVE V1.12 & V1.13

Items for v1.15 BETA (1/12/04):
* Corruption was set by Soren to meet his design. The Palace is the only Corruption Free Civ Center. All other cities are affected by their distance from the palace, WLTK Day, Governments, Corruption Reducing Buildings, Corruption Policeman, and the # of cities in your empire. Courthouse effects inscreased from 5% to 10%.

* Updated AI Strategies in Conquests: Mesopotamia - Galley (Naval Power), Enkidu Warrior (Offense), Rise of Rome - All legions (Defense OFF), MesoAmerica - Acali & Great Acali (Acali:Unload/Upgrade & Naval Transport, Great Acali (Upgrade Unit OFF), Age of Discovery - Javelin Thrower (Offense), Missionary (Capture, Offense), WWII Pacific - Fighter Bomber (Bombard!)

* Fixed Random Civ MP Launch OOS

* Secret Police HQ no longer gives effects corruption OR OCN bonus when player leaves Communism. Fixed error with Government required buildings not turning off.

* Updated Civilopedia.txt Forbidden Palace to explain that all cities are still affected by distance from the Real Capital.

* Updated Civilopedia

* Updated PediaIcons.txt

* Fixed Credit Typos

Last edited by kring; January 13, 2004 at 02:07.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 09:48   #28
Alex
Emperor

Well, Firaxis support (read: Jesse Smith) has been great, and it is nice to know that he has been working with the community. Nice job.

But I'll still wait for the official patch in February.