Old January 8, 2004, 13:35   #1
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Cold War: Clash of Economies
How many of you think that the Cold War would have been much much worse had the USSR been a free market capitalist Society on par with the USA???
Old January 8, 2004, 13:37   #2
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 16:50
Then there would have been no need for the war 'cause they weren't commies. So clearly it'd have been a lot better.

We've got both kinds
Old January 8, 2004, 14:17   #3
The Andy-Man
Prince

but why, surley, because they have the same interests economicly, there would be more chance of them clashing over seas, ie. who gets the South American market etc
Old January 8, 2004, 15:04   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 09:50
Well, if the USSR had been a capitalist state, there would have been no WW2, or it would have been very different, so no idea if Russia would have been in a #2 position at that time anyway.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 8, 2004, 15:10   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:50
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Well, if the USSR had been a capitalist state, there would have been no WW2,
Why?
Old January 8, 2004, 15:15   #6
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Presumably because it was started by Hitler's drive to crush the Bolsheviks. But I'm not convinced there wouldn't be any WWII.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 8, 2004, 16:06   #7
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:50
Hitler wanted resources. There would have been a WW2, or at least a war with Russia for resources, or ethnic purity reasons if you eliminate hatred of communism as a reason.

There was serious concern within the German High Command on the issue of attacking Russia in '41. Germany imported quite a bit of raw materials and food from Russia and the Germans would be attacking their main source of foreign supply. The promise of blitzkreig was enticing and a compelling argument for attacking Soviet Union and siezing these resources outright.

Post WW2:
If the Soviet Union was a free market society, the Cold War would have been far more dangerous and competitive. The whole Russian military doctrine was based on a quick win for several reasons - one being their fragile logistics ability. Their economy would not have survived prolonged hostilities. They could barely manage the logistics of 'invading" Czechoslovkia in '68.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:15   #8
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:50
Re: The Cold War: Clash of Economies
Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
How many of you think that the Cold War would have been much much worse had the USSR been a free market capitalist Society on par with the USA???
Don't have to speculate on this one. All we have to do is look at China. As China moves to become more free market, its relations to its neighbors and the rest of the world improve dramatically as good relations are necessary for trade.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:23   #9
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Without a communist threat, fascism would never have come to power. Thus, no WWII.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 8, 2004, 16:31   #10
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Without a communist threat, fascism would never have come to power. Thus, no WWII.
Maybe. However, wasn't Hitler more of a reaction to the bad peace treaty than a reaction to communism?
Old January 8, 2004, 16:38   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Re: The Cold War: Clash of Economies
Quote:
You need to remember that the USSR really had no economy, per se.
They had an abundance of lines, waiting to get items before the supply ran out, toilet paper for instance.

And Hitler was a reaction to madness, Ned.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:47   #12
The Andy-Man
Prince

i am talking hypotheticaly, and deliberatly ignoring WW2. What i want to know is, what would have happened IF they had been capitalist in 45.

As to modern china, it is already clear that US buissness' are getting angry as they are finding it hard to compete with cheap chinese exports, and there are lots of arguments about economic things bewteeen US and china that i don't really understand.

~Could this sort of thing, and much worse, have taken place withe a free market USSR? I think so, because, as i said earlier, their interests would be more liley to collide.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:53   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Maybe. However, wasn't Hitler more of a reaction to the bad peace treaty than a reaction to communism?
Without the support of big business, his movement would either have never taken off or it would have been crushed by the government. The only reason the big capitalists let Hitler take over is that they were more scared of Marx than him.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 8, 2004, 16:53   #14
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

When you calculate all of Russia/Soviet Union's natural resources, people and geographical advantages what you have is a fearsome competitor.

However, as with everything in life, people make the difference more than anything else. One of the reasons Germany whooped up so badly on Russia in WW2, was the strength of the NCO and lower ranking soldiers to make decisions and take intiative on the battlefield. The Russians had a highly controlled, structured command chain. This strongly limited their warfighting abilities.

So, a different political and economic enviornment would have greatly reduced many of the causes to Russian inefficiency and low production. So, yes there would be a tough competitor in a free-market Russia.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:55   #15
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
i am talking hypotheticaly, and deliberatly ignoring WW2. What i want to know is, what would have happened IF they had been capitalist in 45.
There would have been no Cold War if, some how, miraculously, the USSR became capitalist over night in 1945. The Cold War was the US attempt to contain the Communist threat. Instead Russia would have been just another dirt poor neo-colony ala China and India.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:56   #16
The Andy-Man
Prince

how do you reckon it would have changed the cold war, Shogun? Would there have been more chance of a shootin' war?
Old January 8, 2004, 16:58   #17
The Andy-Man
Prince

Quote:

There would have been no Cold War if, some how, miraculously, the USSR became capitalist over night in 1945. The Cold War was the US attempt to contain the Communist threat. Instead Russia would have been just another dirt poor neo-colony ala China and India.

your missing my point. What iu am trying find out is how different a cold war between a capiotalist USSR and USA have been, ignoring the fact that it was never going to happen. I don't give a **** about how likley it was to happen, I am going on the pretence that both were capitalist and running at a similar level of their potential.
Old January 8, 2004, 16:59   #18
chequita guevara
Emperor

Since you seem more interested in fantasy answers than real ones, Rasputrin would have awoken from the dead an started a magical cold war between him and the U.S. lead by the undead Hudini.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:06   #19
chequita guevara
Emperor

Would Hitler still have been a danger to the world if he had ruled Upper Volta?
Old January 8, 2004, 17:11   #20
The Andy-Man
Prince

Che, why do i get the feeling that you are a bit of a kill joy
Old January 8, 2004, 17:34   #21
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
how do you reckon it would have changed the cold war, Shogun? Would there have been more chance of a shootin' war?
I would agree with Ned, that the likelyhood of a shooting war would be greatly reduced. However, trade wars would be much more likely and very intense.

Today, there are lot of compliants of America being an only superpower. If the Soviet Union was free market, you would have America's biggest nightmare (even more than China). A very large country that could build an economy to rival or surpass America's...and an alternative to "the only superpower".

Russia would have an advantage over China in terms of rivaling America due to having a foot both in the West and in Asia.

Hard to specualte about specifics, but its an interesting question to ponder. What would you postulate, Andy-Man?
Old January 8, 2004, 17:46   #22
The Andy-Man
Prince

I would say that the rivalry would be incredibly tense, and i disagree with ned, because i htink the chances of ar would be increased, because now they really do have something to fight over. it owuld be over rice paddies in the 3rd world, but the european and south american econmies.

There would also be the very interesting issue of Soviet goods into american and vice versa.

War may not be liley, but i think sooner or later there probably would be one, as in this scenario there is no hope of the Soviet union 'collapsing'.

Things like contyaiment would also g out the window.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:51   #23
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

It is easy to see how "trading blocks" would develop. Politics would be hand in hand with economics. There are many examples in our planet's history of wars based purely in economic rivalry. Perhaps you are right.

I don't think the lack of a good economy was the reason a real shooting war didn't happen in the real Soviet Union. I would think the Russian cost/benefit analysis of conflict was never in the favor -- especially later when our supposed "missile gap" was corrected.
Old January 8, 2004, 17:55   #24
The Andy-Man
Prince

In the real cold war, i don't think either side really ever wanted to fight. Neithe could have won, it would have been expensive and probably very unpopular.

The way i see it, both had alot to gain from being 'rivals' but nothing from a full blown war. Two capatalist societies are in a much worse position though, because they want the same (or similar) things
Old January 8, 2004, 18:03   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Che, why do i get the feeling that you are a bit of a kill joy
You phrased your question poorly. I tried to asnwer the question you asked, not the question you appear to have wanted.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:08   #26
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:50
Quote:
Would Hitler still have been a danger to the world if he had ruled Upper Volta?
Old January 8, 2004, 18:11   #27
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
War may not be liley, but i think sooner or later there probably would be one, as in this scenario there is no hope of the Soviet union 'collapsing'.
Talk of a capitalist USSR is as inane as a democratic Nazi Germany. It would be Russia. And Russia would still be in danger of collapsing, as it is today, and will be for quite some time.

Can we take modern Russia as a model for your thought experiment?

If so, Russia would be far more ruthless in this Cold War. Hwen pro-U.S. terrorists strike in Russia, Russia would reply in kind, as well as, as historically happened, clamp down internally.

Again, if history is any guide, war would be more likely, since the vast majority of all wars and armed conflicts betwen nations in the 20th Century were initiated by capitalist countries. The U.S. itself engaged in seven times the number of foreign military actions that the USSR did. So we could assume, that as a capitalist country, Russia would be more aggressive. War would probably break out in 1947 over Berlin.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:11   #28
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:50
Perhaps the proper question would be how bad would a Cold War-like conflict between 2 industrialised, free market based, world powers be?

Very bad if you could actually get it going. The world economy would go into a tail spin as the other industrialised, capitalist nations were forced to choose sides and trade suffered massive disruptions.

The only thing that prevented the Cold War from becoming hot is that none of the leaders of either side were insane enough to initiate the end of human life on Earth.
Old January 8, 2004, 18:13   #29
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
In the real cold war, i don't think either side really ever wanted to fight. Neithe could have won, it would have been expensive and probably very unpopular.
There were many in our government that really wanted a fight, probably in the Soviet government as well. Fortunately for the world, cooler heads prevailed.
Old January 8, 2004, 20:59   #30
Ned
King

Quote:

Without the support of big business, his movement would either have never taken off or it would have been crushed by the government. The only reason the big capitalists let Hitler take over is that they were more scared of Marx than him.
For once, and perhaps for the last time, Che, I will agree with you on this point.