Old January 15, 2004, 18:02   #61
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
I tried Dosbox. It worked, but very, very slow and only in a small window about the size of this post.

You can tweak various settings like (DPMI=off) to increase speed. Turning off the sound also helpes.
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old January 15, 2004, 18:19   #62
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:50
Sorry it is not working for you. I have run into a number of games that work for some, but not others. One last stab, here is my mom.exe settings.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mom.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	61906  
Old January 15, 2004, 18:27   #63
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK

You might take a look at DOSBOX it's a DOS emulator intended for games. It works on windows and Linux. Plus it even comes with a standard soundblaster emu so you won't have to fiddle with your soundcard settings at all. There might even be a MT-32 emu someday now that canadacow (creator MT-32 emualtor is onboard)

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
I've never gotten DOSbox to work. I've tried VDMsound (or whatever) but it did nothing for the memory problem.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 16, 2004, 06:45   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:50
I tried DosBox once... it managed to start a game, that normally doesn't work in WindowsXP, but it had a small side-effect:
When showing an animation, you have to click with the mouse to get to next frame... the keyboard didn't work, and this game was a keyboard-only game
Old January 16, 2004, 07:16   #65
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 08:50
Golden Oldies eh? Well in my mind 1998 is a still a tad too modern to be considered "classic," even with the prodigiously short half-life games have these days in the memory of the umbiqitous gamer. Circa 1998 has me thinking of Alpha Centauri, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, Thief: The Dark Project, and Wing Commander: Prophecy, and these don't really feel "dated" to me. In my mind 1995 is the cutoff date for the "good 'ol days," (if there was ever such a cultural mythology), since it seems from 1996 on (Civilization II, Tomb Raider, Daggerfall, Quake, C&C: Red Alert, Privateer: The Darkening) games started become more graphic intensive, complex, mass marketed, and fueled by hefty budgets in reputable dev-houses. Essentially, professionalism in gaming started seeping in en masse. 1996 was also the beginning of the console revolution in the Playstation and Sega Saturn.

Using that criterea (and not counting emulated arcade games) I still boot up Ultima VII: Parts 1/2 from time to time (made all the more easy these days, thanks to the U7WIN9X program. Still have nightmares about modifying config.sys and autoexec.bat files for DOS shortcuts). Betrayal at Krondor too; leagues better than its insipid "remake" Betrayal at Antara and equally disappointing sequel Return to Krondor. I also give Wing Commander III a spin now and then. I also play Tetris.

Other than that--none really. Most of these old games haven't aged terribly well. Even with chess, my ultimate favorite, the latest versions of Chessmaster and Fritz totally blow their quaint computer predecessors out of the water.
Old January 20, 2004, 03:02   #66
pg
Prince

Local Time: 10:50
don't know if this will help but i got mom to run after memory errors in win98 se by editing my config.sys then restarting. this is all my config.sys contains...

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=20
BUFFERS=30
STACKS=0,0

make sure to make a backup of the original so you can restore it after you're done with mom.
Old January 20, 2004, 11:55   #67
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
civ 2

moo 1

diablo 2
Old January 20, 2004, 14:21   #68
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
Japher,

The solution to the problem of DosBox having a small window is either pressing Alt+Enter to get into full screen mode, or changing your windows resolution settings to those of the game you play, or at least something smaller than what you currently use. I suggest the second way because it lets you keep your refresh rate.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:42   #69
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:50
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Old January 26, 2004, 00:46   #70
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:50
I'm playing Planescape: Torment right now. That game is 4 years old- actually very close to 5 now. I think it's 2004. So 2004-1999= 5 I think.
Old January 26, 2004, 03:45   #71
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I was playing "Where in the world is Carmen Santiago" before.
Old January 27, 2004, 17:18   #72
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I was playing "Where in the world is Carmen Santiago" before.
What's it like? I've been thinking of finding this title ever since reading good things about it on the 'site that cannot be named'
worth a tenner in your opinion?

I've been revisiting 'Lords of The realm' recently and trying to get into 'Imperialism'.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 30, 2004, 12:21   #73
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

I'm playing the reputedly most popular selling console game of all time - Super Mario Bros. 3.

Except that I'm playing it on my GameBoyAdvance. It is very good!
Old January 30, 2004, 12:38   #74
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I've been playing Aerobiz Supersonic and Harvest Moon on an emulator. Good ol' SNES.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 30, 2004, 13:09   #75
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor

What's it like? I've been thinking of finding this title ever since reading good things about it on the 'site that cannot be named'
worth a tenner in your opinion?
If its a joke spelling of "where in the world is Carmen San Diego" its definitely worth it if you have a nine year old interested in learning geography, facts about the world, etc. Otherwise, id say not quite worth $10 US.
Old January 31, 2004, 01:27   #76
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
If you have children, yes. Otherwise no.
And for the record, I mis-spelt that because I was drunk at the time.