Old January 9, 2004, 05:06   #1
MrMismatch
Settler

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Captured Workers
What is the best use of captured workers? I normally play an industrious civ, and try to keep plenty of workers. When I capture workers i build either Radar Towers or Airfields. If I do not have the required techs I generlly make the best use I can out of them, I hardly ever build outposts, since I can biuld radar towers after radio. I find that workers captured over seas are best used to build airfields, allowing quick reinforcements around the world. This only works if I have overseas holdings to begin with.

Just a random thought.
MrMismatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 06:10   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Depends on your government type. If you are a republic where each unit above and beyond the alloted free support cost 2 gold per turn, I would use native workers to build your Airfields/Radar towers and just use the free slave labor to clean up pollution. Otherwise I would just use them as normal workers.
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 10:09   #3
teaster
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:52
I have a preference for using captured workers for airfields and radar towers as well.

Another use I have found is to use captured workers of a civ that has been wiped out to pump up the population of a newly captured city to turn it into a productive city more quickly. This helps minimise the "Stop your aggression against our mother country" unhappiness. Of course the native population has to have been knocked down to a size 1 or 2 by artillery and the cities infrastructure of roads/irrigation/mines has to be pretty much intact to make this worth while.
Old January 9, 2004, 11:42   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 10:52
Do captured workers in C3C count against your unit costs? I thought that they were free, hence you would want to hold onto them and use native workers to create airfields and such.
Old January 9, 2004, 15:07   #5
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
They do not count against unit cost. That's why they show-up in the section, "Units the civname have captured".

No maintainence on them. They're free.
(Oh the irony: Slaves are Free)

Steven
Old January 9, 2004, 22:31   #6
Mace
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Isn't it true, though, that captured workers are only HALF as productive as your own workers? I thought I read that somewhere...
Old January 9, 2004, 22:44   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mace
Isn't it true, though, that captured workers are only HALF as productive as your own workers? I thought I read that somewhere...
Yes, though in C3C it may be less than half if they do not get the industrious bonus (if you are industrious).

All a captured worker costs is the effort to tell it what to do. If I have an abundance of captured workers, I'll build airfields, etc. with my native units.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 23:38   #8
MattPilot
Prince

I keep the slaves and use native workers for airfields. On my current game, i got 6 native workers and 28 slaves. Getting more slaves is often the reason for a war . Once i get enough slaves, i just remove all native workers to get rid of maintence cost.

Would you rather keep 15 native workers, or 30 slaves? Both 'groups' do the same job in the same amount of time. The Difference is, ironically, more costs less .
MattPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2004, 23:41   #9
MattPilot
Prince

.... though i'm curious, does keeping captured units affect the 'mood' of the other civ?

Say i got 20 slaves from korea, would they be furious with me (can't really tell, cause all civs are always furious with me , regardless if whether i have slaves from them ore not)
MattPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 07:35   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:52
I think they feel better if you join them to a city and more so if you give them back but using them as slaves definitely hurts your rep.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 10:16   #11
Cerbykins
Warlord

Holding slaves never seems to bother other civs with me that much...but having pinched cities - DOES
Still, even that can be fixed in time..
Old January 10, 2004, 15:18   #12
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Yes, having slaves of an AI civ effects that civs mood toward you. Having citizens in a city you control that are of another civ also effects mood. If you have a choice of what slaves to keep, keep the ones that are from an eliminated civ. Then there is no one to piss off.
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 05:34   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Actually don, I think I remember in the SPDG for Civ3 we needed to get rid off ALL slaves, regardless of whether they were from a still-existing civ or not in order to boost our chances of being voted for at the UN.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2004, 14:45   #14
pauli
Prince

the odd thing about the ai getting mad about you keeping their people as slaves is that they'll sell them to you!

last big game i played, i ended up with something like 160 captured workers. unfortunately, by that point i'd actually made it past the railroad and pollution phase, so i had nothing for them to do. boosted a lot of small city populations cause of that
Old January 13, 2004, 14:54   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I typically use slaves for terrain improvement like normal workers. Once the main improvements are done, the natives join cities. Depending on how the game is going, there might be two stages of this: one in the middle ages, another after RR's.

That's if I have a lot of slaves, obviously. I want enough workers/slaves to be able to clean pollution in 1 turn (unless I get unlucky and get multiple pollution blobs on mountains all at once).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2004, 02:37   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 3, 2010
You'd hope that by the time you resettle all those slaves your culture would be large enough to assimilate them relatively quickly.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote