Old January 9, 2004, 18:17   #1
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sensor Strageties
How do you usually use sensors? I do understand that they help keep natives away and increase defensive benefits to friendly units, that's just about it ha.

If I recall correctly, the coverage of a sensor is two squares away so does it means it's something like this... S being Sensor and C being coverage... I'm assuming the sensor's square is also covered.

CCC
CSC
CCC

Also are the defensive benefits cumulative? Suppose a unit is within range of two sensors, would it receive the cumulated benefits of two sensors or just one?

And under standard rules, sensors cannot be placed into sea squares, correct? If I'm right, does a sensor's defensive benefits cover a sea square if it's situated on a coastal square?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 9, 2004, 18:26   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 04:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The sensors 2 square radius means it covers a total area of 5x5 - like a base radius without the corners cut out.

Some people prepare base sites by building a sensor array there first, then build the base on the sensor. This makes the sensor indestructable to bombardment/pillaging. It is particullary good with "5 on the die" base placement because the middle base gives sensor coverage to the 4 around it. (so you don't need to prep every base site with a sensor)
Old January 9, 2004, 18:55   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 16:54
no the bonuses are not cumulative
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 9, 2004, 19:36   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:54
I place sensors undeer some bases although I often do not bother with a base far inland that I can already tell will be deep in my core. I do try to sensor basesites otherwise and will also place sensors along my coast or in the direction of an opponent for an early warning system. Note however that sensors know no allegience and if your opponent plants a base, a sensor that is now in his territory will start giving the benefits to him
Old January 9, 2004, 19:53   #5
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
Re: Sensor Strageties
Quote:
Originally posted by DataAeolus
And under standard rules, sensors cannot be placed into sea squares, correct? If I'm right, does a sensor's defensive benefits cover a sea square if it's situated on a coastal square?

Thanks in advance!
A Sea Former will build sensors if you press Ctrl + Shift + O, the same hotkey command as for Land Formers (but it's not shown on the menus except as noted below). However, sensors (land or sea) confer no defensive bonus to sea units (whether or not in a base) or land units in a sea base. Also, you have no control over where the sensors are placed when you automate the Sea Former this way.

Since you refer to "standard rules", you're probably familiar with the Alpha(x).txt modification that allows Sea Formers to construct Sea Sensors. If that modification is made, then the menus display the "Automatic Sensors" option (or whatever it's called) for Sea Formers.

Here's the link for modifying Alpha(x).txt:

http://www.civgaming.net/smac/alphaxguide_v1_0.html

(kudos to Darsnan and Rubin)
Old January 9, 2004, 20:01   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:54
Re: Re: Sensor Strageties
Quote:
Originally posted by Petek

A Sea Former will build sensors if you press Ctrl + Shift + O, the same hotkey command as for Land Formers (but it's not shown on the menus except as noted below). However, sensors (land or sea) confer no defensive bonus to sea units (whether or not in a base) or land units in a sea base.
A question . . . will these sea sensors provide you with a view around them. My understanding was athat a sensor only worked for you if it was in your "territory" and we all know that the territorial claims on the sea are pretty darn small
Old January 9, 2004, 20:02   #7
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
And kudos to Petek for pointing out this error that I missed (I simply assumed that if I could build a Sea Sensor, it would then confer the same defensive bonus as a land sensor)!

Sometime along I am going to research this function in the Alphax.txt, as I am currently thinking that it may simply be if you name the sea version the same as the land version of the Sensor, that it may work. However, as my honeydo list is as long as my SMACtodo list, it may be a while before I get to conduct experiments on this.....

D
Old January 10, 2004, 16:41   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
I've seen sea sensors remain after the land they were on was lowered by a former.