Old January 12, 2004, 21:37   #31
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange

You know... those ones where you have x years to win?
Old January 12, 2004, 21:50   #32
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Doublepost

Last edited by Enigma_Nova; January 12, 2004 at 21:57.
Old January 12, 2004, 21:56   #33
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research priorities
Old January 12, 2004, 22:22   #34
sammy1339
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:55
Excuse me, but has anyone else noticed that this game as it stands it rather too easy? You only have to work with one letter, after all - this could go on for a very, very long time if nobody figures out that it is virtually impossible to name any letter with which only a very few game concepts begin and alot more end. Even if that could be accomplished, people will still be able to circumvent the problem by using more than one letter from the previous word. All things considered, this will go on practically forever. Just thought I should mention that.

Singularity Mechanics
Old January 13, 2004, 02:49   #35
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 05:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Grid
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old January 13, 2004, 03:17   #36
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riots
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2004, 04:32   #37
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 11:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Project
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 13, 2004, 04:37   #38
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons

(Such as impact, and those oh-so-lovable artillery pieces)
Old January 13, 2004, 14:17   #39
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destruction

aka Planet Busters , nerve gas , gene warfare

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy1339
All things considered, this will go on practically forever.
So what? I don`t mind nor the others do.
Old January 13, 2004, 15:56   #40
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

[QUOTE] Originally posted by obstructor
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructionessus

It will stop eventually, and I use the big long word we've created to form another word game.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:09   #41
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 17:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining station

Can`t wait that other word game - but this is still fun
Old January 13, 2004, 18:28   #42
sammy1339
Chieftain

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew game

As in "Start a New Game" or "Start a New Game, Enigma Nova!"

How about one with the rule that you have to use a minimum of two letters from the previous word, or perhaps (for a better but slightly more complicated game) one with the same rules as this one except that the score that a word earns is not just the length of the word but the length of the word (in letters) times the length of the part of the previous word that was used, and whole words cannot be repeated (e.g. you cannot use "nessus mining station" if the last word was "nessus".)
For example:

micromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARITY SHOCK TROOPS MK2

There are 38 letters in that and only one letter was used from the previous word, so it is worth 1 letter * 38 letters = 38 letters^2

PeacekeePERIMETER DEFENSE

There are 16 letters in that and three of them were used from the previous word, so it is worth 3 letters * 16 letters = 48 letters^2

I think that is fairer, don't you?
Old January 13, 2004, 18:37   #43
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculus
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:52   #44
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARR
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 13, 2004, 19:47   #45
sammy1339
Chieftain

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral Engineering

Oh, what the hell....
Old January 13, 2004, 20:00   #46
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
How about one with the rule that you have to use a minimum of two letters from the previous word,
Eudaimonia.
No, keep the one letter rule.

Quote:
is not just the length of the word
It's the number of letters carried over.
"Nessus mining station" (from Nessus) scored 6

Make it more complicated by allowing the number of letters shared at the END of the word also count.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:10   #47
sammy1339
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova

Eudaimonia.
No, keep the one letter rule.

It's the number of letters carried over.
"Nessus mining station" (from Nessus) scored 6

Make it more complicated by allowing the number of letters shared at the END of the word also count.
I'm very sorry but what are you talking about? Are you saying that I should do something about the END of the word, thereby making it more complicated, or that I have made it too complicated by makingthe number of letters at the end of the previous word count?
You also said "Just keep the one letter rule" so I am leaning towards the latter. Also I mentioned that in this proposed new version "Nessus Mining Station" from "Nessus" would be no good. "Nessus Mining Station" from "Bleargnessus" would be good, if "bleargnessus" were a word. And Eudaimonia what?
I'm not trying to crticize, just to understand.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:15   #48
sammy1339
Chieftain

Oh wait I get it you want to make the score depend solely on the number of letters carried over to the new word from the previous word, right? That might be better since it's much simpler. I still think that there should be a rule against carrying over whole words, though. Of course, it's your game.
Old January 13, 2004, 23:15   #49
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreen
Old January 13, 2004, 23:26   #50
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 04:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gate

Yeah, I'm an expert on those Gaian base names!!
Old January 14, 2004, 01:11   #51
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
I'm very sorry but what are you talking about? Are you saying that I should do something about the END of the word, thereby making it more complicated, or that I have made it too complicated by makingthe number of letters at the end of the previous word count?
The number of letters at the end of the previous word have always counted.

Gaian
GaiAngels
'Angels' scores two points.

As I mentioned in my first post.
Now if you wanted to make it more complicated you could add the letters shared at the end of the word also count.

Drones
Dronessus
Dronessusurper

In this case, 'nessus' scores 3 from 'dronessus'
And 2 from 'nessusurper'
It is entirely possible for a word to score longer than its length in this manner:

Biogenetics
BiogenetICS
Biogeneticsatellite
'ICS' scores 4 (3 from Bio, 1 from Sat) despite it being a 3-letter concept.

I left this out of the rules because I figured it would confuse people.
And sammy, you have proved me right.

BTW Nessus and a Nessus Mining Station I would count as different concepts.
As for Eudaimonia, find me a concept that starts with 'ia'.
There -is- an option for a 0 letter word.
Transcendence
Transcendencevendetta
Where 'vendetta' scores 0 points.
Why would you do this?
It keeps the game moving.
Old January 14, 2004, 01:14   #52
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matrix
Old January 14, 2004, 05:27   #53
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy Dome
Old January 14, 2004, 14:42   #54
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Caps
Old January 14, 2004, 16:12   #55
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Capsi gate
Old January 14, 2004, 16:37   #56
sammy1339
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova

The number of letters at the end of the previous word have always counted.

Gaian
GaiAngels
'Angels' scores two points.

As I mentioned in my first post.
Now if you wanted to make it more complicated you could add the letters shared at the end of the word also count.

Drones
Dronessus
Dronessusurper

In this case, 'nessus' scores 3 from 'dronessus'
And 2 from 'nessusurper'
It is entirely possible for a word to score longer than its length in this manner:

Biogenetics
BiogenetICS
Biogeneticsatellite
'ICS' scores 4 (3 from Bio, 1 from Sat) despite it being a 3-letter concept.

I left this out of the rules because I figured it would confuse people.
And sammy, you have proved me right.

BTW Nessus and a Nessus Mining Station I would count as different concepts.
As for Eudaimonia, find me a concept that starts with 'ia'.
There -is- an option for a 0 letter word.
Transcendence
Transcendencevendetta
Where 'vendetta' scores 0 points.
Why would you do this?
It keeps the game moving.
If I understand correctly (and that is a big if) you are saying that you ought to get points for the number of letters that the next person uses from your word. Why should you get extra points for something you had nothing to do with?
Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Capsi gatEmpath Song
Old January 14, 2004, 16:41   #57
sammy1339
Chieftain

Oops! I read the whole thing wrong the first time! So in the rules as they stand the length of the word doesn't count at all - only the number of letters shared. So the ECM thing is actually only one point. Shoot! OK I'll shut up now, if you don't mind.
Old January 14, 2004, 17:56   #58
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Capsi gatEmpath Song of Ota Kyi
Old January 14, 2004, 19:05   #59
Blake
lifer

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Capsi gatEmpath Song of Ota Kyin-yang dualism
Old January 14, 2004, 20:16   #60
#endgame
ACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Secrets of the human Brainfallocatione base Game End of golden age beguniversal translatorbital spaceflighTectonic Payloadaptive doctrine: air power grapholus mutagenejack factoryanGene SplicingravshiPeacekeePerimeter Defensecrets of the human braindustrial economicromanagmicromanagECM AMPHIBIOUS SINGULARTIY SHOCK TROOPS MK2 battle ogResource shortFallow Timed scenario gaMerchant Exchange research prioritieSingularity MechanicSociety Gridrone riotSecret Projectile weapons of mass destructioNessus mining statioNew gamethical calculUSURPER MARRetroviral EngineerinGreenhouse Gatelepathic matriXenoempathy DoMelt Polar Capsi gatEmpath Song of Ota Kyin-yang dualiSMAC

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html