Old January 12, 2004, 09:26   #61
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Or you could just be more active.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:36   #62
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah..........you don't post here much these days and now you're out of the top hundred. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Old January 12, 2004, 10:06   #63
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
I'll have a cherryade.

Oh, I'm not an Emperor, at least not yet. Still about 750 posts away.

And yes, I do demogames, but having the AC folks call us spammers is like the pot calling the kettle black.

and then there are the "forum games" in other games

or should i not have mentioned that
Old January 12, 2004, 15:52   #64
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
Skanky,

yes, indeed. Here's a good example: +1.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:55   #65
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

and then there are the "forum games" in other games

or should i not have mentioned that
Those games is a very important part of Poly! At least Mafia...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 13, 2004, 00:11   #66
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
but I think it was Ricketyclik.
That's scary. I don't think I've ever heard of him or seen any posts by him Apolyton is growing too large!!

Quote:
This is a different strain of milestone than the usual x members threads. It is also an important one as regards DC's list, since IIRC he said a while back that all emperors would make the list, which now would of course require it to be the 'Poly 150.
Yes... indeed *grousing* 150 ... indeed
Old January 13, 2004, 00:17   #67
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
seriously though folks, who cares, no one actually worships the deitys round here, no one respects the emporers, we repsect the ones who post well, good on topic stuff, thats the thing that keeps us coming back here .....
I don't know Rasputin, you're pretty famous for your achievement

+2000 posts in a month or two
--
I wouldn't believe 3 weeks for mao except for the fact that I KNOW his PPD was still 28.68 or so a month or two after he 'slowed down' posting at apolyton
-
back when OT posts counted, lots of people had over 20 PPD, Including Imran, etc.

-
But for anyone wanting to rank by PPD, I wouldn't recommend it, since lots of people who posted heavily for a time have since retired- thereby off-setting the PPD numbers

St Leo being a good example of that

Personally, I only dropped from 7.5 to 5.0... I post consistently here day in and day out it's my service to the community!
Old January 13, 2004, 02:43   #68
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Back when OT posts counted we had someone reach Emperor status three weeks after registering.
That's pretty impressive. In the 2 months after registering, I made 2000 posts, only 1000 of which "counted"

For that time period I was the top poster. I recall Scabby making a comment on it (back before he was Scabby, of course)
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 13, 2004, 03:39   #69
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:55
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

That's scary. I don't think I've ever heard of him or seen any posts by him Apolyton is growing too large!!

At the current rate...how does "200" sound?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 13, 2004, 04:57   #70
KrazyHorse
Deity

If I could work up the motivation, I'd spam myself to Emperor, but at this rate it'll be forever

*avoids putting "+1" at end of this post

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 13, 2004, 06:28   #71
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:

That's scary. I don't think I've ever heard of him or seen any posts by him
Me neither. I didn't make him up though.

Quote:

Better get listing.
Old January 13, 2004, 08:39   #72
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Before Civ 3 was released, I managed to get up to 15 PPD for a very short period of time. Those were the days.
Old January 13, 2004, 10:10   #73
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
If I could work up the motivation, I'd spam myself to Emperor, but at this rate it'll be forever

*avoids putting "+1" at end of this post

Im posting about 3 day, should take 1 to 2 years, i guess.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:35   #74
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 12:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Bah! All these DGs have caused e.g. me and Kassiopeia to drop from the top 100
I would like to point out that Kassi spammed his way to emperor in the ACDG.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:54   #75
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:55
Quote:
I would like to point out that Kassi spammed his way to emperor in the ACDG.
~900 of about 45 000 posts. Certainly not what the big league guys are doing, but you are right: without the ACDG I'd still be a King. Your wording might need improvement though.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:43   #76
Rasbelin
Emperor

Indeed. He forgot to mention how much more than you, he himself posted in the old ACDG.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:59   #77
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Has there been an increase in demogaming since the time OT posts stopped counting? I don't recall exactly when demogames started or when the OT posts stopped counting, though it was aruond the same time, give or a take a couple of years.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:32   #78
flipside
Warlord

I would ask what came first?
The chicken or the egg?
I have been told that the chicken is jut the egg's way of making more eggs.
So, are forums just spams way of making more spam?
Old January 13, 2004, 23:01   #79
Skanky Burns

I believe that Demogames first started well after OT posts stopped counting. As in several years after.
Old January 13, 2004, 23:03   #80
Lonestar
inmate
King

I've been here damn near forever....but I'm still not an Emperor...
Old January 14, 2004, 00:04   #81
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Has there been an increase in demogaming since the time OT posts stopped counting? I don't recall exactly when demogames started or when the OT posts stopped counting, though it was aruond the same time, give or a take a couple of years.
Demogames started after OT posts stopped counting. I distinctly remember that.

And OT posts stopped counting in July/Aug 2001, If I remember correctly
Old January 14, 2004, 02:59   #82
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have been reluctant to post in this thread as it smacks of spamming, but just for a reference. I joined a dem game about a month ago and have less than 25 post in that forum.

I am not sure, but I would guess I have less than 200 post outside of the CivIII and Moo1/2 forums.

I do see that a massive number of post are in the 4 forums for civ Demo games though.

The vast major of post in the dem forums is strategy and planning. It is not full of inane chatter and I would suspect that the people are not concerned with boosting their counts, but I could be wrong. Many on my team are players that have been posting on the forum for at least two years and never mention anything about their status or post counts.
Old January 14, 2004, 03:52   #83
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

(Civ 3) DG stuff began in the summer of 2002. It then spread elsewhere.
Old January 14, 2004, 06:05   #84
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:55
Ah yes..... the first DG here was the Civ2 one, kicked off soon after I joined - late Jan 2002.

Civ3 was next, and then it took off.

*Memories....*

Seriously though, what's all this DG-bashing stuff? Is it just jealousy? There is no better way of learning about the games (with the possible exception of madcap MP gaming), you meet a whole lot of other posters, and at least the Civ3DGers have been furthering the name of Apolyton to other sites as well in the Multi-site games. So far we've outlasted Grenouille and Firaxis

And Skanky, I've been impressed how, despite not being in any DGs that I know of (and I'm in almost all of them!), you went from par with me to 600 odd posts ahead in a scant few months. There's a perfect example of a non-DGer who has really stepped up his posting.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 14, 2004, 06:20   #85
Theben
Deity

Darkcloud,
Is there any record of the order in which people received their rankings?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 14, 2004, 06:42   #86
DrSpike
Deity

The demogame thing is just a running joke I think........don't take it personally. I think most posters believe that the majority of demogamers are serious about the games they play.
Old January 14, 2004, 08:07   #87
Skanky Burns

Exactly. 99% of them give the other 1% a bad name.
Old January 14, 2004, 08:11   #88
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
most posters
Except Skanky.
Old January 14, 2004, 11:07   #89
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
The demogame thing is just a running joke I think........don't take it personally. I think most posters believe that the majority of demogamers are serious about the games they play.
Actual demogames are just games so you shouldn't take them too seriously, but actual this whole site is about games, therefore ... well I leave the conclusion to the reader.

-Martin
Old January 14, 2004, 12:46   #90
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 09:55
/me shrugs.

That's cool that we have that many, but the question is, how many will stay where they are for quite a while or how many will become super-spammers to get up higher, faster.

I'll be Diety one day, but that day is still in the distant future, and I'm in no hurry to get there.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...