Old January 10, 2004, 17:08   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What are your biggest C3/C3C Peeves? Here are my choices.
1. Playing a Civ like the Russians or Ottomans (who have great Cavalry UUs)..or heck any civ when employing a beeline to Cavalry-->then run roughshod over enemy strategy..only to find there is no saltpeter in your vast empire. You didn't get the great lighthouse, astronomy is on the other side of the tech tree= no sea route=no trade for Saltpeter= you are SOL= restart?

2. Getting beaten to a much needed wonder by one turn then having to switch those 400-600 sheilds to a 40 shield unit.

3. Late game micromanagement.

More of my peeves to come. Just wanted to get the ball rolling on this topic.

BTW is there a resource scarcity bug in C3C? I heard there is a bug and they are working on a fix. Something about new terrain types causing resources to be super scarce no coal, only 1 or 2 saltpeter in the world etc.

Last edited by Artifex; January 10, 2004 at 17:28.
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 18:28   #2
Melboz99
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
I think alot of what you have said is common with all the previous versions with Civ3, and even to some extent, Civ2.

My only real pet peeve is that darn Atari logo that plays when you load the game. It is way too loud and obnoxios. I like to play while listening to Virgin Radio over the DSL, and no matter how loud I turn up the music, the Atari Logo is always louder. I don't need that when I just want to relax and enjoy a nice peacefull game.

I can turn down the volume for the sound effects, and I can turn off the game music, but that darn Atari logo is alway too loud.

That's my pet peeve,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 19:46   #3
furrykef
Warlord

I think there's an INI setting to turn off the opening FMV, which the Atari logo is part of.

- Kef
Old January 10, 2004, 19:54   #4
Melboz99
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Sweet!, Thanks Kef!
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 21:04   #5
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 15:56
yeah i resource prob too in my game i'm playing a world map scenariona by el menecey that map is great but there is one place with rubber in europa in spain the rest is in china and well they don't trade it much lol same witsh saltpeper 1 in europe in germany and some in the middle east damn resourcers
BulMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 22:25   #6
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 07:56
1. Pop-up news.

I don't know if it's the 1.12 beta or what, but the game seems vastly slower on a huge map, which I'm not complaining about.

But the pop-up news is a killer. You press enter, you know it's going to be five minutes to your next turn (on a 2.4Ghz/1GB Ram machine, no less) but you may have to press enter 0-15 times in the next five minutve because someone declared war on someone else. Or, my favorite, one click for a military alliance, then another click as war is declared.

I know I can turn this off, but I want to know who's gone to war with whom, and the foreign advisor screen is cumbersome to say the least.

A simple fix would be to present all news as a scroll at the beginning of your turn.

I would say they could do that for things you can act on, but that would change the gameplay and be a bigger deal.

2. Foreign advisor

Hey, I appreciate that they decided at the last minute (two years ago when this came out) to allow 16 countries to play at once, even though the screen had only been designed for eight. But you can't even find out easily who's at war with you.

2. Trade advisor

While you can find someone who has something you need, you can't find (easily) someone who needs something you have. You can't easily see who has other trade items, like gold, tech, workers, even military alliances.

[ok]
okblacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2004, 23:35   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Re: What are your biggest C3/C3C Peeves? Here are my choices.
Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
BTW is there a resource scarcity bug in C3C? I heard there is a bug and they are working on a fix. Something about new terrain types causing resources to be super scarce no coal, only 1 or 2 saltpeter in the world etc.
I just first saw a reference to this today... evidently, volcanos do something that messes up resource allocation. It is being worked on.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 00:41   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
My Pet Peeves for Civ3:
1. Only fast units can retreat, and only from slow units. This cannot be changed in the editor (yet). I want ALL combat units to be retreat capable when down to their last hitpoint. Retreat capability being based on experience level is good; perhaps when slow units are checking for retreat vs. fast units, their experience is downgraded one level. [EDIT:] I would want this as an option in the editor, not to be imposed on everyone. [/EDIT]

Yes, this would change a basic dynamic of the game, but coupled with #2 ...

2. The game was designed with fast units being the predominant attackers, and is quite ahistorical with few exceptions. Fortunately, this CAN be changed in the editor.

3. The AI STILL cannot use artillery against land units!* It rarely even fires them offensively while cowering in a bleepin' city -- this HALVES their effective strength; with the only advantage being the player's surprise (and FRUSTRATION) that they are in the city being attacked. This is the only solid evidence that the AI has ammunition supply problems!

* (Well, ALMOST never)

4. The SIMPLICITY/Idiocy of the Governors, automated workers (player & AI, of course).

--
#3 I really hope gets remedied; #1 is mostly wishful thinking (PLEASE!!!); #4 requires no comment because everyone appreciates it -- doesn't make it any less aggravating though.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.

Last edited by Jaybe; January 11, 2004 at 03:44.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 02:21   #9
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:56
I get hit hard by this possible resource allocation bug. I've yet to play a C3C game where I've had iron near my start location. I can usually get horses, but almost never iron. As mentioned above, saltpeter is also very rare.

This is something I hope is fixed quickly. It does make the game extraordinarily challenging though. Nothing like fending off loads of cavalry with longbow men!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
WhiteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote