Local Time: 03:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
writing SC3000 automatically hyperlinks to amazon
Old January 15, 2004, 16:25   #32
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There's no editing tool in SimCitY3000? to raise a giant mountain?
Old January 15, 2004, 16:29   #33
Space05us
King

there might be, but even if there was there arent any hydro plants iirc (havent played in a while)
Old January 15, 2004, 17:03   #34
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Alright, my critique:

Simcity 2000 is too outdated and unstable.
Simcity 4 is more realistic, however no longer can you create your "Garden" cities...They all have to end up looking like huge, monsterous grid-y American cities
Simcity 3000 is just PERFECT GET IT

SC3000 SC3000 SC3000 SC3000 SC3000 SC3000 SC3000
Old January 15, 2004, 17:50   #35
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
I liked SC4, but I got bored with it fast. Just more city building. Who needs it...
Old January 15, 2004, 18:10   #36
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Simcity 3000 is just PERFECT GET IT
/me looks at games shelf (above the stereo) and sees it. Wishes he hadn't got it *

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 15, 2004, 18:23   #37
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
They all have to end up looking like huge, monsterous grid-y American cities
No they don't. I never make my cities in a grid. Not completely, anyways - perhaps in the flat areas (which inevitably end up being "down town" but mostly I play in mountainous or island terrain, and put a bit of imagination into my road layouts and zoning.

Not the best example (I use much less right angles these days, and this was before the 'rush hour' expansion which added alot of transportation options), but it's the best screenshot I have to demonstrate at the moment:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	kregston20.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	61907  

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2004, 18:40   #38
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Speaking of Rush Hour....Should I get it? It's only 20 (10 if I mail in the rebate) but what does it really add?
Also, how do you get any measure of tall buildings? All my cities end up looking something like this (I know, not an actual screenie, but good enough) and its quite annoying. I can't experiment with anything, can't beautify my city...It really sucks because I get stuck with HUGE blocks of ujst residential and industrial.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	simsuck.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	61908  
Old January 15, 2004, 19:20   #39
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Speaking of Rush Hour....Should I get it? It's only 20 (10 if I mail in the rebate) but what does it really add?

Mainly more transportation options like ferries, monorails, ect... it also gives you the ability to view the commuter routes and more traffic statistics to help plan your transport better. The tolls booths are nice, too.

But the part about driving cars around and stuff is crap, I turned it off after an hour and never looked back.

Quote:
Also, how do you get any measure of tall buildings? All my cities end up looking something like this (I know, not an actual screenie, but good enough) and its quite annoying. I can't experiment with anything, can't beautify my city...It really sucks because I get stuck with HUGE blocks of ujst residential and industrial.
What, you don't build commercial?
You should build residential zones around a core commercial area with industry nearby (or atleast quick and reliable commuting options).

Here's another couple of screenshots, with the zoning layer included:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	simcity1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	61913  

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2004, 19:21   #40
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	simcity2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	61914  

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2004, 19:23   #41
Japher
Emperor

Tall building come by economic variables for that sector sector in which you to expand. I forget all the terms they use. Yet, there are certain values (on the little graphs showing you how many jobs are in a sector and how much you make from that sector, etc.) you need to reach before those graphics will unlock.

There are NIMBY/YIMBY type things that are needed for each sector that increase those values. Res needs parks, hospitals, schools, etc.. Industry needs clean water, air, ports, etc... And Commercial needs airports, ports, higher education centers, and the like... Connections to neighboring cities (even if there is nothing there) helps to increase these values (you still need to start the city, you just don't need to build).

Thus, if your not getting bigger buildings it's because you aren't giving them more of what they want.
Old January 15, 2004, 19:27   #42
Space05us
King

Quote:
But the part about driving cars around and stuff is crap
you can drive through your city? like in the oh so not popular streets of sim city???????
Old January 15, 2004, 19:37   #43
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
Quote:
you can drive through your city? like in the oh so not popular streets of sim city???????
Don't even ask about it, it's just crap.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2004, 19:40   #44
Space05us
King

Quote:
pleeeeeese tell me about it. and post a screenshot, pleeeeeese Im whining here!! pleeeeeeese
Old January 15, 2004, 19:42   #45
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
pleeeeeese tell me about it. and post a screenshot, pleeeeeese Im whining here!! pleeeeeeese
If you want a screenshot of it, just imagine one of the screenshots I posted with a list of controls in the corner. It's the same. You drive it around the streets with the arrow keys and half the time you can't see where you're going because of the buildings or elevation.

not to mention the cars suddenly apearing right infront of you... and then disapearing again, in usual sim city fashion.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 15, 2004, 20:42   #46
Nubclear

Hmm....But my commercial demand is never higher than a penny on its side. It's always so small and it never develops.
Also....Wont a dock kind of, er, pollute the water and thus drive industry away?
And all I have to do is just "Start" a city but I dont actually have to build anything in order to get benefits? Thats nice.
Old January 15, 2004, 21:51   #47
Space05us
King

Comrade do you play SC2, SC3, or SC4?
Old January 15, 2004, 22:42   #48
Nubclear

I play SC3K, but I'm talking about SC4 right now.
I used to have much fun playing SC2 though but IMO its outdated in every respect now.
Old January 16, 2004, 10:58   #49
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Quote:
Quote:

i got that with my simmania pack, and still havent installed it. I suppose i will after finishing my current game of BG1.
Old January 16, 2004, 13:06   #50
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Hmm....But my commercial demand is never higher than a penny on its side. It's always so small and it never develops.
It's not the "demand" I was talking about. It was the current values... Besides, I thought you were talking about SC4... I can give you more information about how to get tall buildings, if you want, when I get home and have access to the game. It has been so long since I have played that I don't remember any of the terminology.
Old January 16, 2004, 15:02   #51
Space05us
King

Quote:
i got that with my simmania pack, and still havent installed it. I suppose i will after finishing my current game of BG1
you might want to find a way to slow your computer down. I played it recently on my 'new' (a few years old) computer and everything just sped one by at warp speed.