Old January 11, 2004, 03:05   #1
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Negotiations
Does it bother anyone else that while negotiating with the AI, you can determine exactly how much gold they are willing to give/demand through trial-and-error? How hard would it be to have them raise their demands the more a player badgers them for a deal or something?
Old January 11, 2004, 03:56   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Doesn't bother ME. If I am in a strong position, yet don't want to impoverish them, I will often lower their gpt obligations anyway.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old January 11, 2004, 15:08   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
Well it sort of does bother me. I figure why waste my time, just give me the optimal number to offer and be done with it.
Old January 11, 2004, 15:15   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yeah, the trial and error is a bit annoying at times. I've heard that if you give them what they ask for, they're happier, but I don't know if that is just pure conjecture. Usually I do unless its a tight game, out of pure laziness.

better than the civ2 diplomacy, but needs some improvement in Civ4
Old January 11, 2004, 20:18   #5
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
Yes, I believe that giving the asking price rather than haggling will make them happier, but who ever does that?

It would be nice if one negotiated with the foreign leader, rather than with one's own foreign adviser, as currently happens, but there you go. You do need the adviser to help you to some degree, or you could find yourself insulting the dignitary without meaning to - because it's often very hard to predict how much your negotiating partner will value what you're offering. I'd like it if your adviser warns you if you're making a ridiculously high or ridiculously low offer, but was vaguer in the middle - "They might take this. Give it a try!" etc. Then you'd have a back-and-forth conversation with the foreign leader, which might be a bit more interesting.
Old January 11, 2004, 21:09   #6
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Is it too much to ask for a slider to set gold amounts? It gets really tedious when trying to figure out exactly how much you can squeeze out of someone without one.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old January 11, 2004, 23:36   #7
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
Yes, I believe that giving the asking price rather than haggling will make them happier, but who ever does that?
But I think it is the final amount that determines their reaction. If you haggle around and then give them more than you need to, they react positively as much as if you gave it to them the first time. I haven't tested this, but it seems to be the case.

I agree it would be a nice touch if the advisor wasn't perfectly accurate with his assessment.
Old January 11, 2004, 23:56   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Well it sort of does bother me. I figure why waste my time, just give me the optimal number to offer and be done with it.
Old January 12, 2004, 00:04   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
I agree it would be a nice touch if the advisor wasn't perfectly accurate with his assessment.
"Well, the Germans will probably need 30g for this. Unless you also include something more on your side. But they might need more."
"How was I supposed to know they'd be insulted at anything less than 150g! Is it my fault they declared war!!??"
"What are you about to do with that crowbar, Prime Minister?"
Old January 12, 2004, 12:47   #10
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncha
Is it too much to ask for a slider to set gold amounts? It gets really tedious when trying to figure out exactly how much you can squeeze out of someone without one.

jon.

or at least "+/-" buttons so that you could increment/decrement the offer w/o having to retype the entire amount.

Steven
Old January 12, 2004, 13:33   #11
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

I find that the AI (in most situations) tends to ask for about 20% more than they'll eventually settle for. I'll use that as a rule of thumb, and then adjust my offer according to what my advisor says. (Still can't figure out why my Foreign Advisor knows exactly what my adversary will require to end a war, but can't give me advance warning that the same adversary is about to strike! I suspect he's really working for the other side. Stupid diplomat!!!!)

It's still a horribly tedious affair going through all that work. A better user interface would definitely help.
Old January 15, 2004, 12:14   #12
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

TS,

Yes, your Dilpomatic Advisor is a paid agent for the enemies of the state. Unfortunately, other than their go-between task, they are just there to dress up the interface.

The Diplomatic model would be much more useful if you could get information from your diplomats on what the conditions are like in the countryside, without having to investigate each city, since intelligence gathering was and still is a primary role for a diplomat. It's just non-military intel. Let them gather information on attitudes and economics, what the other civs are researching.

Just the typical stuff from dinner parties and social outtings with the society's upper crust. (like stale bread?)

Maybe for Civ IV...

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old January 15, 2004, 12:27   #13
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

This is one of my least favorite parts of the game, especially when combined with the fact that, to maximize your opportunities, you need to contact every single civ you've met on Every. Stinking. Turn. Aren't computers supposed to make our lives easier by taking on all the tedious work we can't be bothered to do?
Old January 15, 2004, 12:45   #14
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveV
This is one of my least favorite parts of the game, especially when combined with the fact that, to maximize your opportunities, you need to contact every single civ you've met on Every. Stinking. Turn. Aren't computers supposed to make our lives easier by taking on all the tedious work we can't be bothered to do?
Perhaps, but Computers don't come along until the game is almost over anyway.

How about an improvement allowable by Computers for Auto Intel or something like that.

Steven
Old January 16, 2004, 04:00   #15
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tall Stranger
I find that the AI (in most situations) tends to ask for about 20% more than they'll eventually settle for.
Strange. I've found that it's 10% - almost without exception.