Old January 12, 2004, 20:16   #61
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 10:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Frankly, I think that would be fine. I think (OK, I hope...)he may be a better head coach than he is a d-coord.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 14, 2004, 03:23   #62
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 3, 2010
WRT Dan Marino: I reckon it's a positive move for the 'Phins. With a name like Marino at the franchise it can only do good for an underachieving franchise, and the key is that he is not the GM, and will not make key personnell decisions while he learns.

So, my picks for the Championship games:

Carolina over Philadelphia: Philly hope to do home-field right this time, but what you'll see Carolina do is to strangle the Eagles by running and chewing clock. Expect to see the Panthers dominate ToP.

Indianapolis over New England: First it was he couldn't win a play-off game. Then it was he can't win a road play-off game. Now it's he can't win in Foxboro. If Peyton Manning can pull out a clutch performance here, Indianapolis will win the Super Bowl. So long as Tom Moore trusts Manning more than he did against NE in the regular season to make the calls, Indianapolis should win a close game in Foxboro. Indianapolis problems are the lack of big DTs and a decent MLB (must be improved over off-season), and that could be their downfall against New England, with them running the clock and dominating them like Denver did in Week 16.

Preliminary SB pick: Indianapolis over Carolina. The fairytale Super Bowl: the most criticised big-name QB in the NFL Peyton Manning vs. the unwanted Delhomme.
Old January 14, 2004, 03:38   #63
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 15:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
WRT Dan Marino: I reckon it's a positive move for the 'Phins. With a name like Marino at the franchise it can only do good for an underachieving franchise, and the key is that he is not the GM, and will not make key personnell decisions while he learns.

So, my picks for the Championship games:

Carolina over Philadelphia: Philly hope to do home-field right this time, but what you'll see Carolina do is to strangle the Eagles by running and chewing clock. Expect to see the Panthers dominate ToP.

Indianapolis over New England: First it was he couldn't win a play-off game. Then it was he can't win a road play-off game. Now it's he can't win in Foxboro. If Peyton Manning can pull out a clutch performance here, Indianapolis will win the Super Bowl. So long as Tom Moore trusts Manning more than he did against NE in the regular season to make the calls, Indianapolis should win a close game in Foxboro. Indianapolis problems are the lack of big DTs and a decent MLB (must be improved over off-season), and that could be their downfall against New England, with them running the clock and dominating them like Denver did in Week 16.

Preliminary SB pick: Indianapolis over Carolina. The fairytale Super Bowl: the most criticised big-name QB in the NFL Peyton Manning vs. the unwanted Delhomme.
their win % since marino left is higher than when marino was there.
Old January 14, 2004, 03:58   #64
Frozzy
Emperor

Oh, and a rumour floating around: After the whole Ryan Leaf saga a few years back, SD are nervous about using such a high draft pick and are considering trading their pick and stocking up of linemen.
Old January 14, 2004, 04:00   #65
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
their win % since marino left is higher than when marino was there.
And? Marino isn't playing there, dumbass Besides, I'd rather have a 1-15 season followed by a 10-6 SB season than two .500 seasons with no play-off berth.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:03   #66
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

And? Marino isn't playing there, dumbass Besides, I'd rather have a 1-15 season followed by a 10-6 SB season than two .500 seasons with no play-off berth.
choice doesn't work like that unfortunately.

my point was that u implied that marino was going to restore the splendor after miami had been doing so awfully lately. but the post marino dolphins have a higher winning % than marino's teams.
Old January 14, 2004, 05:33   #67
Frozzy
Emperor

My point, in actual fact, was that it could only do some good to have an established name at the franchise and he will bring some recognition and dignity to the team. While his lack of experience at the business side of things is apparent, it is negated as it is a learning job while he isn't the GM.

I really can't see the point you are making, because Marino isn't going to take any snaps again and thus will have no affect on the on-field side of things for the Dolphins
Old January 14, 2004, 12:30   #68
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:59
In order of preference of teams I'd like to see win it:

Carolina
Indianapolis
Philadelphia

New England

--

I say let the new guys have a chance. I realize Philly did go to one Superbowl already, but that was over 20 years ago and, besides, they got beat bad.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 14, 2004, 12:44   #69
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I say let the new guys have a chance. I realize Philly did go to one Superbowl already, but that was over 20 years ago and, besides, they got beat bad.
So did the Colts, and they won (Superbowl V).

Of course they weren't in Indy....
Old January 14, 2004, 12:49   #70
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
So did the Colts, and they won (Superbowl V).

Of course they weren't in Indy....
Bingo .

After all, I don't think the Cleveland Browns won a Superbowl because the Baltimore Ravens did .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 14, 2004, 13:15   #71
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

For you sad Niners fans, from espn.com

Garcia pulled over by San Jose State police

Associated Press
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving early Wednesday, a jail spokesman said.

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, was booked into the Santa Clara County jail at about 3:30 a.m., spokesman Mark Cursi said. He remained in the jail at 8 a.m.

"He'll be assessed, and when it's determined he can care for himself, he'll be released on a written promise to appear in court," Cursi said.

Garcia was pulled over by San Jose State University police near campus, Cursi said. He had attended the San Jose Sharks' game against the Dallas Stars on Tuesday night.

Campus police issued a statement saying Garcia had three passengers in his SUV and that the vehicle was pulled over for "erratic operation." The statement said preliminary results showed a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, but that final results would not be available for about two weeks.

Garcia attended San Jose State and lives in San Jose. He has been the 49ers' starting quarterback since Steve Young retired after the 1999 season.

Calls to the 49ers were not immediately returned.
Old January 14, 2004, 13:23   #72
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

For you sad Niners fans, from espn.com

Garcia pulled over by San Jose State police

Associated Press
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving early Wednesday, a jail spokesman said.

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, was booked into the Santa Clara County jail at about 3:30 a.m., spokesman Mark Cursi said. He remained in the jail at 8 a.m.

"He'll be assessed, and when it's determined he can care for himself, he'll be released on a written promise to appear in court," Cursi said.

Garcia was pulled over by San Jose State University police near campus, Cursi said. He had attended the San Jose Sharks' game against the Dallas Stars on Tuesday night.

Campus police issued a statement saying Garcia had three passengers in his SUV and that the vehicle was pulled over for "erratic operation." The statement said preliminary results showed a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, but that final results would not be available for about two weeks.

Garcia attended San Jose State and lives in San Jose. He has been the 49ers' starting quarterback since Steve Young retired after the 1999 season.

Calls to the 49ers were not immediately returned.
Kind of ironic that you'd be the one posting this...
Old January 14, 2004, 15:31   #73
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
My point, in actual fact, was that it could only do some good to have an established name at the franchise and he will bring some recognition and dignity to the team. While his lack of experience at the business side of things is apparent, it is negated as it is a learning job while he isn't the GM.

I really can't see the point you are making, because Marino isn't going to take any snaps again and thus will have no affect on the on-field side of things for the Dolphins
u sed u thot marino would help an underachieving franchise. and I said that infact they are doing better than they ever have.

really now, u forget what u post so quickly?
Old January 14, 2004, 16:03   #74
Frozzy
Emperor

He will help an underacheiving franchise by merely being there. Hell, think Dolphins think Marino.

The stats may say they are doing better but please point me to the part of my post where I said that he would be taking snaps

Just shut up until you can give stats that relate to Marino in an office job. Who cares about his on-field record because it has NOTHING to do with his new job

Idiot

Read my post again

Quote:
I reckon it's a positive move for the 'Phins. With a name like Marino at the franchise it can only do good for an underachieving franchise, and the key is that he is not the GM, and will not make key personnell decisions while he learns.
It's a positive move. Marino is one of the greatest all-time players. He will restore pride to the franchise. He is not taking snaps. People don't care if he has a worse win .pct than they currently do. People believe that he is one of the great all time players and they will respect him and have a certain pride in their franchise that they would without an important part of their history.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:05   #75
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
u sed u thot marino would help an underachieving franchise. and I said that infact they are doing better than they ever have.
[yavoon]You said that the Dolphins are doing better than they ever have, but they arent as good as the '71 Dolphins[/yavoon]

Old January 14, 2004, 16:11   #76
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
He will help an underacheiving franchise by merely being there. Hell, think Dolphins think Marino.

The stats may say they are doing better but please point me to the part of my post where I said that he would be taking snaps

Just shut up until you can give stats that relate to Marino in an office job. Who cares about his on-field record because it has NOTHING to do with his new job

Idiot

Read my post again

It's a positive move. Marino is one of the greatest all-time players. He will restore pride to the franchise. He is not taking snaps. People don't care if he has a worse win .pct than they currently do. People believe that he is one of the great all time players and they will respect him and have a certain pride in their franchise that they would without an important part of their history.
obviously u r a little impaired. the reason his "on the field record" matters is because you are referencing under achievement against when marino was qb.

ur saying that the dolphins are now under achieving as opposed to when marino was qb and they were doing good. when that infact is wrong.

and btw, winning 10 games isnt underachieving.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:12   #77
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

[yavoon]You said that the Dolphins are doing better than they ever have, but they arent as good as the '71 Dolphins[/yavoon]

the 71 dolphins had one of the easiest schedules in the history of football.

and marino wasn't qb.

otherwise yes ur right. I will rephrase to "better than they did under marino"
Old January 14, 2004, 16:16   #78
Frozzy
Emperor

Underachieving is having one of the better sides in football and not making the playoffs. At least thats my opinion
Old January 14, 2004, 16:18   #79
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Underachieving is having one of the better sides in football and not making the playoffs. At least thats my opinion
well they have no oline, a below avg receiving core and a two flops at qb.

yah sure their defense looks completely stacked w/ like 6 pro bowlers.

but honestly if u told me at the beginning of the year the dolphins would win 10 I'd say they did good.

its unfortunate 10 win teams dont make the playoffs. but sometimes thats how cookie crumbles.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:28   #80
Frozzy
Emperor

That's exactly my point. The Dolphins admin think the fans and the players are losing pride in the franchise, and with a name like Marino associated with it again, it can only do good for the fans and the players sense of pride.

I also dislike the current playoff system and would just prefer a 1 division 6-team play-off system p/ conference, but that's me.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:33   #81
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Line for Lombardi players has been posted.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 14, 2004, 17:06   #82
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
ToP doesn't mean a damn thing to the Eagles chances. This year they routinely have been beaten in ToP and total yards and they still find a way to win. OTOH, it is clear that Packers would have won last week if they had managed the clock better. But you can never write these Eagles off with McNabb converting 4th & 26's and breaking off 44-yd runs in the playoffs.
Old January 14, 2004, 17:15   #83
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

Except for the fact that he can fire Wannstedt (about time) and replace Fiedler.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 14, 2004, 19:48   #84
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Bears hire Lovie Smith, per espn.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Lovie Smith was hired as the Chicago Bears' new head coach, the team said Wednesday.

Smith, the Rams' defensive coordinator, will get a four-year deal, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports.

Smith and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm were the two finalists for the job. Smith replaces **** Jauron, who was fired Dec. 29 after four losing seasons in five years.

Smith began his coaching career in 1980 at his high school in Big Sandy, Texas. He was a defensive position coach at the college level from 1983-96, when Tony Dungy hired him to be linebackers coach on his first staff in Tampa Bay.

It was in Tampa Bay that Smith first met Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, then the Buccaneers' player personnel director.

"I think it helps when you know someone, know a little bit about them," Smith said of his relationship with Angelo. "He knows a little bit about me and my family."

Smith stayed in Tampa Bay until 2001, when Mike Martz hired him as the Rams' defensive coordinator. St. Louis had one of the NFL's worst defenses when Smith arrived, allowing a whopping 471 points in 2000. One year later, the Rams were the league's third-best defense, giving up 273 points -- a 198-point reduction -- on their way to the Super Bowl.

The Rams were 16th in the NFL last season, allowing 315.8 yards per game. But their 46 takeaways led the league, and they had four players with four interceptions. Leonard Little also had 12½ sacks, third-best in the NFC.
Old January 14, 2004, 20:14   #85
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Jeez, wouldn't it have been a gas if Grimm got the job.
Old January 14, 2004, 21:43   #86
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
and replace Fiedler.
No he can't. He is not the GM and thus makes no personel decisions.
Old January 14, 2004, 22:12   #87
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Go Pats!

I don't see the Colts winning in Foxboro. Field conditions aside, the Patriots are just too much for them.

The way the patriots play seems to take away each teams primary strengths, resulting in all the close games they have. I expect one Peyton interception, at least.

The Patriots are just too professional to let this slip through their fingers.

As for the NFC, I'm rooting for the Panthers. They'll win it, too, if their receivers learn to stop dropping balls.
Albert Speer
Old January 14, 2004, 22:25   #88
Frozzy
Emperor

Yay! A heatwave is scheduled for Foxboro on Sunday, temperatures in the 30s.
Old January 14, 2004, 22:29   #89
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:59
I love how the Pats are the best team in the NFL- But as always the opponent is the one generating all the hype

So Manning Finally had a good playoff game or two...BUUUUUUUUT: He's 0-4 in Foxboro. Belichick is consistently in his head yet everybody is picking the Colts

Regardless of the fact that the Pats have allowed a combined 36 points in their last 7 homes games, regardless that the Pats are Undefeated at Home - And against teams above .500 - regardless that the Pats beat Indy this season IN INDIANAPOLIS (38-34)

Yet all you hear is about Indy's powerful offense (Just like the Super Bowl in '01: all you heard about was the Rams "high powered" offense, and the Pats beat them IN A DOME no less). Manning will Not be able to eat up the Pats D like he did to a pathetic (28th NFL)KC D

Plus, this ain't the RCA Dome, its ****ing FOXBORO MASS. Do you know how cold it's been here this week? The Patriots LOVE the cold. Manning doesn't have a prayer.

GO PATS!
Old January 14, 2004, 22:33   #90
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

*high fives emperorfabulous*
Albert Speer