Old January 14, 2004, 23:03   #91
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 10:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Both games should be interesting.

And yeah, one would think that Manning is the next coming of God by all the media hype. However, he's the QB that has been in the zone lately... He has looked good. I think there is a "chance" they can win, so I don't buy into this "no way" stuff I'm reading here. Some people have drunk a little too much Patriot Kool Aid
Old January 15, 2004, 00:17   #92
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:59
This is Massachusetts. Who needs the Kool Aid when it's in the water.
Old January 15, 2004, 00:38   #93
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

A man with "true" convictions
It's called covering your a$$.
Old January 15, 2004, 01:51   #94
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
Yet all you hear is about Indy's powerful offense
Why shouldn't we?! It's the story of the playoffs! When a QB has a passer rating in the playoffs of OVER 130, it is a news story. I mean, really, even Montana didn't do what Manning has done in back to back playoff games.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 15, 2004, 02:32   #95
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy

No he can't. He is not the GM and thus makes no personel decisions.
While technically he is not the GM. Both the GM and coach report to him. I'ld say he can pretty much the final say if he so chooses.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 15, 2004, 02:43   #96
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
So Manning Finally had a good playoff game or two...BUUUUUUUUT: He's 0-4 in Foxboro. Belichick is consistently in his head yet everybody is picking the Colts
Manning scored 34 points against the "supreme" Belichick defense this season. Not a very good argument, in my point of view.

Quote:
Regardless of the fact that the Pats have allowed a combined 36 points in their last 7 homes games, regardless that the Pats are Undefeated at Home - And against teams above .500 - regardless that the Pats beat Indy this season IN INDIANAPOLIS (38-34)
Indianapolis are the best road team in the NFL.

Quote:
Yet all you hear is about Indy's powerful offense (Just like the Super Bowl in '01: all you heard about was the Rams "high powered" offense, and the Pats beat them IN A DOME no less). Manning will Not be able to eat up the Pats D like he did to a pathetic (28th NFL)KC D
The Colts are looking like the '00 Rams. They have the best offense in the league with a just good enough defense in the league. Assuming Manning is franchised, Indianapolis should win the Super Bowl next season as they will invest in DTs and a new MLB to cure the run defense. Our current DTs are too small, and Marcus Washington is too slow at MLB. Should the run be a problem? I think not, with most of our starters either definate or probable. Remember that in Indianapolis, half of our defense was injured. And that incredible goal-line stand? Not really that incredible when you realise that a) we lost TWO fullbacks in that game AND our receiving TE b) Edgerrin James was still a bit careful in that drive c) Manning wasn't making the calls. Pollard has shifted back into his original slot as a receiving TE, Lopinski has proven he is effective as an FB, and who can say James is still over-cautious over his knee after recent performances? Oh, and even if you double-cover Harrison, Manning still has Wayne and a guy the Patriots didn't have to worry about in Week 13, Brandon Stokely, who has proven himself as a Colt slot reciever. If all of these are covered, then that leaves around 5 in the box which James will eat alive.

Quote:
Plus, this ain't the RCA Dome, its ****ing FOXBORO MASS. Do you know how cold it's been here this week? The Patriots LOVE the cold. Manning doesn't have a prayer.
Forecasts are for temperatures in the 30s. True, it isn't quite KC temps, but not quite as cold as the Titans game when Jeff Fisher had icicles hanging from his beard.
Old January 15, 2004, 04:58   #97
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
Quote:
Indianapolis are the best road team in the NFL.
And the Patriots are the best home team in the NFL

Go Patriots!
Old January 15, 2004, 13:16   #98
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

THE BEARS HIRE LOVIE SMITH!

I like this hire. Lovie might not have been Angelo's first choice (Saban) but I like this hire better than a Saban hire. Lovie has proven NFL success on defense.

Three of the Bears biggest problems in the past few years:
1. Pass Rush (Rams 4th best sack total)
2. Turnovers (Rams 1st best total)
3. Can't beat the Packers (Rams D has pwned Favre)

To be better than Jauron, Lovie has to be: a better talent evaluator (not hard), appoint a better offensive coordinator (not hard), and he has to be a better in game manager of events... clock, half time adjustments, etc... (again, not hard).

Lovie Smith, while not a guaranteed coaching success, has been part of a successful team. He will bring that winning attitude with him.

I think Bears fans should be optimistic over the future of their franchise.

btw, patriots are going to pwn Manning and send his ass back to indy crying... I give the COlts offense credit for kicking the **** outta Denver and KC... but Tony Dungy is a choker and so is Manning... they will fall.
Old January 15, 2004, 13:34   #99
Japher
Emperor

Lovie Smith He was only hired because he's black

Good move by the Bears...

On another note; Garcia got arrested for a DUI, apologized to the bay area for embarassing us? Yeah, right. In that case Gruden owes an apology for his DUI back in '98 (I think it was) and Seabass owes an apology for just being himself...
Old January 15, 2004, 14:17   #100
badams52
King

Local Time: 07:59
Quote:
The Colts are looking like the '00 Rams. They have the best offense in the league with a just good enough defense...
Ahhh, spoken like a true homer.
Old January 15, 2004, 14:22   #101
Frozzy
Emperor

And to all those saying "New England is too cold for the Colts" I just have one thing to say? How the **** do you guys live in that crap? Look, even if the Colts lose on Sunday I'm glad I'm not a Patriots fan because I'd have to live in New England which is an absolute mess. Gimme the South anyday.
Old January 15, 2004, 14:31   #102
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'm not much of a football fan, but to the extent that I care, I'm rooting for the Pats.

Frozzy - I dunno how you crazy southerners deal with the horrible summer heat, either. :shrug: To each their own.

This is extreme, even for us Yankees. It's un****ingbelieveably cold up here.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 15, 2004, 14:40   #103
Japher
Emperor

I want the Colts to win it all. I think Dungee was ripped off by the owners of Tampa Bay, and for Manning.

If they have to lose, I'd rather see them lose to the Eagles than to anyone else.
Old January 15, 2004, 15:46   #104
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
THE BEARS HIRE LOVIE SMITH!

Smith - will he turn Chicago into his teddy bears....

When Eagles come into Soldier to play Smith's team next year as the NFC Champs, be aware that they don't want any group hugs with your team...

We don't want to share any feelings with you either..

jk
Old January 15, 2004, 16:16   #105
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
be aware that they don't want any group hugs with your team...
Ah, come back here and give us a hug!!!

Even your QB likes 'em

Old January 15, 2004, 16:26   #106
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I like Indy. That KC game was awesome.

And based on my expert opinion (having watched one Colts and no Patriots games this season) I must declare Indianapolis the clear favorite in this match up.

So there.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 15, 2004, 16:33   #107
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Indianapolis was up against one of the very worst defenses in playoff history. Of course their offense will look good in those circumstances! When they have to face a REAL defense, in less cushy conditions, we will see how well they do.

Oh, of course they'll score points, just like the Titans did, but the Patriots will wear them down to the breaking point, and kill.
Albert Speer
Old January 15, 2004, 16:39   #108
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Ah, come back here and give us a hug!!!

[...]

Even your QB likes 'em
Brian Urlacher is full of love.
Old January 15, 2004, 16:42   #109
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

what about Denver?

3rd in conference in yds allowed per game
a bit worse in pts per game.

totally crushed by Indy.

And they won much, much more convincingly in indy than the pats, who needed a miracle goal line stand.
Old January 15, 2004, 17:06   #110
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Indianapolis was up against one of the very worst defenses in playoff history.
Quote:
what about Denver?
I was about to say that . People forget that Denver had a good D this year.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 15, 2004, 17:09   #111
badams52
King

Local Time: 07:59
Well, you can point to the Denver playoff game, but if you look at the regular season game, it was a different story.

Actually, Colt's fans should be overjoyed that the teams matched up in the regular season. That way the Colts got to see how the Broncos were going to play against them and to see some of the weeknesses in their scheme that the Broncos pointed out. Thus when they played them again, the Colts were ready with all their changes including moving around their offensive linemen.

I just wonder if the teams hadn't met in the regular season, would that playoff game be like the regular season game. And if it were, think of how the 'minkey' would still be on Manning's back.

But who cares about what ifs.
Old January 15, 2004, 23:27   #112
Frozzy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Indianapolis was up against one of the very worst defenses in playoff history. Of course their offense will look good in those circumstances! When they have to face a REAL defense, in less cushy conditions, we will see how well they do.

Oh, of course they'll score points, just like the Titans did, but the Patriots will wear them down to the breaking point, and kill.
Look, Manning's guts won't go all gooey because it's in the 20s and it's a conference game on natural grass. Manning made the play-offs look easier than playing in the regular season against KC. The fans are no worse than the Chiefs', and it's not as cold as NE v TEN.

Not only that but A LOT has changed since Week 13. New England has few weaknesses on defense, but the Colts' receiver depth will cause the Patriots problems. Cue Manning to dictate matches and control the game. Sure, Brady aint too bad, and he has better matches. A pity he hasn't got a ground game to keep Manning & co on the bench.

The Colts will pull out a similar game-book to Broncos. Put the ball in Brady's hands, and that will allow the Colts to play their defensive strength: against the pass. If they can force the Patriots to the passing game, they have a shot. This will allow them to go into a Cover 2 Zone defense, Dungy's strength, and used to great effect this season, and as such sit on Brady's routes. People forget that the Colts actually have a good pass defense, it's on the ground the suffer because the DTs are too small and Rob Morris, our MLB is too slow.

Colts key to victory: Force the Patriots to pass and sit back in a Zone Cover 2 and cover the routes.
Old January 15, 2004, 23:39   #113
Frozzy
Emperor

Brandon Stokely's son contracts Meningitis, may miss AFC Conference game

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 15, 2004) -- Brandon Stokley spent part of Thursday afternoon working out with his Indianapolis Colts teammates.

That was his way of getting a break.

After missing practice Wednesday and Thursday morning to be with his hospitalized month-old son, Cameron, Stokley returned for about half of Thursday's two-hour afternoon workout before leaving early to spend time with his family.

"I think it was good, therapeutic for him to get back out and around the guys," coach Tony Dungy said of Stokley.

Stokley, who has three touchdown catches in the Colts' two playoff wins, left without comment.

His son has been hospitalized since Tuesday with an undisclosed illness. Dungy described the situation as "serious" on Wednesday but again declined to give details of the medical condition Thursday, citing the family's privacy.

The Advertiser, a newspaper in Lafayette, La., quoted Brandon Stokley's parents as saying the illness was meningitis, a potentially fatal swelling of the brain or spinal cord.

The only update Dungy gave was that Stokley's son was stable and doing fine.

Dungy was unsure whether Stokley's presence at practice Thursday was an indication he would practice again Friday or even if he would play in Sunday's AFC championship game at New England.

Dungy is leaving that decision up to Stokley, who has become a major contributor for the Colts in the past month.

"It's probably a little too early to tell," Dungy said.

Wide receiver Troy Walters, who would replace Stokley in the lineup if he doesn't play against the Patriots, offered prayers and support to his teammate. Center Jeff Saturday, himself a father, said the situation is helping keep things in perspective as the Colts prepare for their biggest game since the 1995 season.

"I can't say it's not a scary thought," Saturday said. "It's something you never want to go through, so we're praying with him."

On the field, Stokley has emerged as one of the Colts' top receivers.

A sore foot limited him to just five catches in Indianapolis' first 13 games. Since then, he has 25 catches for 368 yards, second only to five-time Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison during that span, and a team-leading six touchdowns.

But football is only a secondary issue at the moment.

"Our concern, right now, is for his family and son," Dungy said. "If he's able to play and his son continues to improve, then he will. If not, we'll move on."
Old January 16, 2004, 00:51   #114
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94

no they weren't.
Old January 16, 2004, 21:47   #115
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

perhaps
Albert Speer
Old January 18, 2004, 11:46   #116
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Cue up the voice of God (or is that the voice of NFL films)

It's do or die day for 4 groups of valiant warriors... with the long and trying season now behind them, they look forward to glory, attaining their long desired goal... or they will fall back to the lowest levels of hell, with their long campaigns ended just short of victory.
Which teams will advance to the game of games... and which teams will be swept away like flies...

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!
Old January 18, 2004, 13:51   #117
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Good Luck today Peyton! You deserve your championship.

(FYI-Only championship Peyton has ever won in his career from 7th grade through present was one SEC Championship)
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old January 18, 2004, 15:56   #118
Ming
lifer
Retired

Game one ready to begin... rain/snow falling at Foxboro... This should be fun.
Old January 18, 2004, 17:07   #119
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Wow. Just as well he didn't have to punt until now...
Old January 18, 2004, 17:13   #120
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 08:59
ha and looked what happened