Old January 21, 2004, 16:02   #211
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 11:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010

:vomit:

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:51   #212
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:59
Personally, I simply want a villain team. Someone I can route against even if my team(s) didn't make it.

Both these clubs are too vanilla for my taste.

I'll watch because I like the game but I expect I'll be making more trips than usual to the kitchen and bathroom.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 21, 2004, 17:20   #213
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well you can characterize it as the South v. North and pick your side .

Now only if it was the Carolina Rebels .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 21, 2004, 17:34   #214
Potassium
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:59
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
I'm sure one of the players will have a sick child, Arrian. Then we'll all get exposed to soft-focused crap like
Please see Panthers linebackers coach Sam Mills, diagnosed with cancer in August and Mark Fields, linebacker, diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease in August.
Old January 21, 2004, 19:06   #215
badams52
King

Local Time: 07:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Sorry, badams, the media obsession with all manner of story lines irritates the hell out of me. Every time they do a "personal interest" story, I wanna puke. Just show me the ****ing game.

-Arrian
I agree with the media being too obsessed with storylines and I hate the media week. I just wanna have someone or some team to cheer for and without a storyline like a "win one for John" there isn't that connection to the game at all for me.

Of course if one of the teams I somewhat cheer for was in the game, then I wouldn't need a storyline to spark my interest.
Old January 30, 2004, 09:47   #216
Brundlefly
Prince

Panther's CB Ricky Manning talks about his performance in NFC Champ. game to the Phila. Daily News....

Quote:
Manning spent most of the NFC title game locked up with [Eagles #1 WR] Pinkston, who did not catch a pass after having played well in his last five games. Manning spent most of the afternoon taunting Pinkston with his actions and his words.

"I started off pretty good against him, and I decided to throw him a bone to see if he'd bite it," the 5-foot-8 Manning said. "I wanted to talk a little trash and see if he'd come back at me."

The nature of his remarks?

"I think I said something about how he couldn't get off the line of scrimmage or 'You're weak,' " Manning said. "It was something like that. I wanted to see what he'd say. He started saying this, this and that, and I said, 'OK, got him. Now he's worried about me.' "
Pinkston, YOU'RE FIRED!!!
Old January 30, 2004, 09:51   #217
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 10:59
While I'm sure the game will be interesting, I really have no love or hate for either team... so I will probably find the advertising more interesting than the actual game
Old January 30, 2004, 10:02   #218
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
While I'm sure the game will be interesting, I really have no love or hate for either team... so I will probably find the advertising more interesting than the actual game
I guess you would find the advertising interesting because thats your line of work.

In games like this I just pick the underdog and root for them.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:12   #219
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

While I would have to agree that my profession would make me very interested in the advertising... many non advertising people share the same opinion. The Super Bowl has become as much the "big game" for advertising as it is for football. One of the cable networks is even going to air a program that is just replays of just the commercials. There will probably be as much discussion by people on Monday about the commericals than there is of the actual game. (maybe more unless you are a Patriot or Panther fan)

Surveys have shown that the Super Bowl has become a big social event in the US with many people who plan on watching "the event" having little to no interest in the game of football.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:19   #220
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Surveys have shown that the Super Bowl has become a big social event in the US with many people who plan on watching "the event" having little to no interest in the game of football.
Well, I'm antisocial so I wouldnt know about that. Both my girlfriend and I were invited to SB parties from people at our respective jobs and we are turning both of them down. Guess we'll just watch at home. I'm actually more interested in watching the new 'Survivor' after the game than the game itself.

I hope IBM doesnt have any new commercials for the SB. Their commercials are so pretentious and annoying.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:23   #221
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I think it's pretty interesting to see a team go from rags to riches so quickly as the Panthers have.
Old January 30, 2004, 10:24   #222
Ming
lifer
Retired

Budweiser seems to be the big advertiser now with 9 spots purchased, and I think I heard that Pepsi will be the second largest. I hope the trend toward comedy will continue (rumor has it that it will) since they are usually more entertaining.

But as far as the game goes, I will also be cheering for the underdog. Most of the press has already awarded the game to New England... and I love when the press looks like fools
Old January 30, 2004, 10:48   #223
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I really like IBM commercials...
Albert Speer
Old January 30, 2004, 12:15   #224
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
I'm looking forward to Reebok's new Terry Tate commercials.

And IBM's commercials are pretty cool. Bear in mind though that I'm pro-IBM the next few days, because I'm selected to attend their masterclass next week =)
Old January 30, 2004, 12:24   #225
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
I really like IBM commercials...
[trivia info]
Speaking of which, the AIDS commercial that will be aired during the final is made in Belgium.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:08   #226
Brundlefly
Prince

IBM's commercials are pretentious and annoying.

The message is "We know what we are doing, you dont have a clue." How do I reach that conclusion? Look at the subject in their commercials. I'm not in advertising, Ming maybe you have a comment, but I believe IBMs goal is that you are supposed to identify with the subject. You are supposed to observe what is happening to the subject as if it were happening to you, you are supposed to receive the message being sent to the subject by others as if the message was being sent to you. Two recent IBM commercials had a little white-haired kid and a slackjawed corporate grunt as subjects.

Seen those ones with the little kid with his hair dyed white sitting in the middle of foreign cities looking around with a blank stare? What the **** is that all about? The message is you the consumer are this helpless consumer, like a strange looking child who cant interact with his surroundings at that, and IBM is there to guide you through foreign territory.

And how about the slackjawed corporate grunt sitting with his pal at a diner while some guy with a foreign accent is busily tapping away on his laptop. The foreign guy speaks rapidly using technical jargon about wireless services as he answers dumb questions from the grunt. The corporate grunt cant formulate an intelligent question and is resigned to making stupid faces and giving one-word responses to the foreign guy. The message to upper-level management there is: your front-line employees are too stupid to learn this stuff on their own - we'll have to take your hand and lead you.

Fact is IBM's middleware is ****. It is not a very flexible product and its consultants are not proficient in configuring it and improvising when problems occur. I have been involved with two seperate ERP implementations where IBMs MQ Series are involved so I know what I'm talking about. And their consultants are just as pretentious and annoying as their commercials.
Old January 30, 2004, 13:23   #227
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Budweiser seems to be the big advertiser now with 9 spots purchased
Woot!

Here is hoping for some new "Leon" commericals .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old January 30, 2004, 13:54   #228
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
Fact is IBM's middleware is ****. It is not a very flexible product and its consultants are not proficient in configuring it and improvising when problems occur. I have been involved with two seperate ERP implementations where IBMs MQ Series are involved so I know what I'm talking about.
Aren't middleware and ERP two different concepts?
I thought that middleware was supposed to be an alternative to ERP for companies seeking more flexible solutions.

But we're digressing, this is a football thread =)
Old January 30, 2004, 14:00   #229
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Right, just like the Superbowl is about a football game. Right.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 30, 2004, 14:10   #230
Zopperoni
Emperor

For me it is, because of two reasons:

1) I'm a Patriots fan; and
2) I live in the Netherlands, so I don't get to see the spunky commercials. Instead I'll probably get to see commercials for sex hotlines, shaving foam and all that crap.
Old January 30, 2004, 14:34   #231
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Instead I'll probably get to see commercials for sex hotlines, shaving foam and all that crap.
Chances are you'll even get some combining all three.
Old January 30, 2004, 17:01   #232
badams52
King

Local Time: 07:59
Considering CBS is airing a special on the 10 best Super Bowl commercials the night before, I would say many Americans, not just the ad men, love the Super Bowl commercials.
Old January 30, 2004, 17:49   #233
alva
Deity

On the news here there was some statistic claming more then halve watch it mainly for the commercials.
Old January 30, 2004, 18:15   #234
Ming
lifer
Retired

I've seen similar numbers in surveys on the subject.
Old February 1, 2004, 10:41   #235
Ming
lifer
Retired

Only 8 and half hours to kick off...
Old February 1, 2004, 15:24   #236
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Woohoo .

I got my wings marinating in the fridge and they'll go in the oven soon enough (of course then we'll have to re-heat them for the game... I'm going to a friend's house, but mmmm.. wings).
Old February 1, 2004, 15:34   #237
Ming
lifer
Retired

I heard that Super Bowl Sunday is the second highest weekend for food purchases... Thanksgiving being number one in the US.
Old February 1, 2004, 15:34   #238
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Who buys their food on Thanksgiving? Shouldn't you get your stuff beforehand?
Old February 1, 2004, 15:35   #239
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
I heard that Super Bowl Sunday is the second highest weekend for food purchases... Thanksgiving being number one in the US.
Sure looked like it at the grocery yesterday.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 1, 2004, 17:41   #240
Ming
lifer
Retired

Will these stupid pregame shows EVER END... bring on the game...