Old January 12, 2004, 05:19   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gone military
Yes, in a few hours... it begins. Mandated by Finnish state, your favorite Finn (note: this means me) will be leaving for Kontioranta, also known as Gona Beach, for the next six months. This naturally will interfere with Apoing, but I'll be posting the next time on Apolyton two weeks from now... or earlier if I happen to suffer a complete mental crackdown.

Adios.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 12, 2004, 05:29   #2
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
See you in a few days then.
Old January 12, 2004, 05:33   #3
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Heh, that reminds me of a friend who went to the army last summer and came back in a week or so. His army diary (here, in Finnish is rather enlightening reading.)
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old January 12, 2004, 05:48   #4
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 11:01
Way to go Stef! Give them Russkies hell!
Old January 12, 2004, 06:16   #5
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 12:01
dammit. this thread should be titled "leaving forever," as per the sacred litanies.
Old January 12, 2004, 07:33   #6
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Remember theres always the other option

- Paul Valery
Old January 12, 2004, 07:36   #7
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 17:01
good luck. what will you be doing there?
Old January 12, 2004, 07:49   #8
Jeltz
Settler

Good luck, and remember: I/04 ei kotiudu koskaan.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:23   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:01
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Have fun. Don't kill anything I wouldn't.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:08   #10
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 19:01
Kick ass and learn the skills to kill commies at all times!

Remember, you need to have some huumorintaju to make the first few weeks, but you have that so I see you having OK time. It's not a bad place at all, it can get to you sometimes but hey, it'll be worth it and you be laughing at it soon. When you feel like quitting, don't think about it. Everyone thinks about quitting at some point and most will do that RIGHt in the beginning, in the first two weeks. Don't do it man.. if you really feel like it, just close your eyes, it'll be all better soon.

It's just like going to a new school. First it's kind of crap, you don't know anyone and how things are done and there's someone bugging you, but it'll get better fast and then you might even enjoy it.

I'm so jealous that you get to go, so keep daddy proud, shoot straight and yeah.. kick ass.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:11   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quake in fear Russia. Stefu the furry lover is coming for you!
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old January 12, 2004, 09:18   #12
Pekka
Emperor

It's good to have some checkpoints to look forward to.
You don't feel very nice when you wake up 0600, make the bed and clean the barracks 06.15, outside in formation 06.20, it's freezing, your gears don't fit you good and hella dark in some god forsaken place.. and then some corporal makes you back and forth for 15 minutes, because there are always mistakes (but it's true man, there ARE always mistakes, we need to brake championships so better get used to it) looks kind of pleased to himself which makes you think he might be a sadist.

You get to the breakfast late, because you were running, sweaty which is nice because it's freezing outside, have time to eat little over 5 minutes and the food sucks major balls, get back out, smokers are dying for a smoke but there's no one to save them. Then little more running in uncomfortable gear, you trip down couple of times because it's slippery but instead of asking if you're ok corporal makes you run again because you failed to stay up ,after all he did order 'and NO ONE FALLS DOWN! MOVE IT!'.. mission impossible.

You learn how to salute folks, over and over again, thinking what's the point.

Just believe there is a point, and gone through the same thing plus being there doing it to newbies, there is a point. It ends soon enough anyway.

Checkpoints. My checkpoint was that I was eager to get my hands on them assault rifles and kill the targets. Kill and maim dude. But then you find out you'll be practicing correct shooting positions for 3 frigging weeks and you don't get to shoot crap. But you still get to clean the gun a whole lot and learn all about it. Then you get to run with and shout 'BURST! BURST! SINGLE SHOT!'.. that's fun. you think what's the point.. but you'll be surprised, many rookies will make excellent score to 150m targets.

So set checkpoints like but they shouldn't be when you get the leave next time.. like when is the next time to eat, that's always good, or smoke, or.. shoot and blow stuff.

Good Luck!
Old January 12, 2004, 09:27   #13
Pekka
Emperor

Also don't take the 6 month basic crap. You can have some fun in there too, go for something more challenging. Also you don't get to shoot stuff a lot in that 6 month crap. You get to shoot stuff with different weapons a whole lot more in more special stuff. Also you don't get to do any close combat type of thing, hand to hand stuff, well you don't get to do that too much anyway in most places but if you're looking for challenge, there is something I know.

My last advice is, just take it easy and don't think too much about it. Try to make jokes about it. Just take it easy. Do what they tell you to do, and exactly what they tell and nothing less and you have no problems. You get to do same stuff over an dover again and it's boring and gets to you, but just take it easy, it'll be so much easier just to be chill than get all angry about it.

The best advice I can give you is NEVER complain to corporals, never ever say against or never ever disobey direct orders no matter how stupid they seem to be. It's sometimes the idea just to make people follow orders instantly without asking even if it's just climbing the tree ass first. Everyone has opinions and everyone thinks they could be better leaders and trainers, but they are usually the worst ones. No one gives a crap about how you think things should be done, and it's not a democracy. Your leader is your ****ing idol, and you want to be just like him, and everyday you want to please him with the best effort you can give and it will be noticed and you're then one of the good guys. The losers are also losers in the army. It's just different kind of society, and people with opinions who think they should be the liberal leaders are worst only judging the whole thing when they don't know crap themselves. Good leader is a good rookie too and vice versa, remember that.

Kick ass!

Last edited by Pekka; January 12, 2004 at 09:33.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:31   #14
Bereta_Eder
Settler

ica nt imagine stefu going youre in the army now owow youre in the army. now. too fluffy
Old January 12, 2004, 09:33   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

oooooh yeah i remember now. he's orthodox. propably some russian "infulence" i can imagine his grandmother gicing him a little icon to keep him safe at nights
Old January 12, 2004, 09:34   #16
BeBro
Emperor

We all will sleep a lot better now since Stefu is defending our freedom
Old January 12, 2004, 09:35   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

he'll have his fluffy furies doing his guard duties for him
Old January 12, 2004, 09:36   #18
Pekka
Emperor

paiktis22, You should see the weathers in here now he'll have fun time camping outside
Old January 12, 2004, 09:42   #19
Bereta_Eder
Settler

terminal freeze id imagine
Old January 12, 2004, 10:15   #20
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Gone military
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Yes, in a few hours... it begins. Mandated by Finnish state, your favorite Finn (note: this means me) will be leaving for Kontioranta, also known as Gona Beach, for the next six months. This naturally will interfere with Apoing, but I'll be posting the next time on Apolyton two weeks from now... or earlier if I happen to suffer a complete mental crackdown.

Adios.
Finland has a military force?
Old January 12, 2004, 10:18   #21
Aivo½so
King

Local Time: 17:01
Quote:
Checkpoints. My checkpoint was that I was eager to get my hands on them assault rifles and kill the targets. Kill and maim dude.

Well, at least that ought to mean that you have good self-esteem... I was myself supposed to enter service last summer but they gave me a postponement by two years because I had this fear that I'd go crazy and shoot someone if I got my hands on an assault rifle... I'd most likely have had to cancel like Stefu's friend, whose diary, by the way, was a very interesting read to me.
Old January 12, 2004, 14:38   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Well that's different. If you're seriously thinking that you might have problems, then you should get free pass, if you're honest. It's not a place for everyone after all, and for those who are unable to participate and are honest, they shouldn't have to go. But then again, they don't force you to be there, so if you have to go, you can get out fast and you don't have to worry about it at all. It'll be ok.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:08   #23
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Good luck Stefu. By the way Pekka, when does the sun rise in Finland during winter?
Old January 12, 2004, 15:17   #24
Tattila the Hun
King

That story is almost 1:1 to my adventures in the FDF, except that I was sent to psyc evaluation from Rovaniemi to Oulu, which is about 300 (?) Km... The doc pondered me for awhile, stamped some papers, and sent me back... I did manage to spent a whole month in the army. And lost a pair of gloves and a t-shirt.

Civil Service rules OK.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:33   #25
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
Re: Gone military
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

Adios.
Good luck. Maybe they will make you lose some weight. You look too heavy in your avatar.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:35   #26
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Maybe they will make him grow some hair, too!

Good luck, Steffie! Post pics of you in camoflauge so we can lau--er, I mean, admire!

Cheers.
Old January 12, 2004, 15:39   #27
VJ
King

Local Time: 16:01
Quote:
Good luck Stefu. By the way Pekka, when does the sun rise in Finland during winter?
That depends where Stefu is deployed... in Tornio, for example, sun doesn't rise at all during certain months...
Old January 12, 2004, 17:37   #28
Pekka
Emperor

hahaha Tornio.. oh man.. no sun for poor Stefu..
Old January 12, 2004, 17:40   #29
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 10:01
good luck STFUE
Old January 12, 2004, 18:57   #30
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Uh oh, the evil Finnish army for world domination gains another soldier...