Old January 12, 2004, 10:00   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
some bargain bin possibilities
Well i saw BG:TOSC, for $10 US, not eager for the xpack right now (I'll review the specifics in the BG thread) There was the BG2 with the x pack, not sure must have been $20, or close to it.

Then saw 2 games to take me back to strategy, at great prices.

kohan immortal sovereigns for $4. Not eager for another fantasy setting game, but some have said this is the best RTS game - almost worth getting just to see what its all about, what the genre is capable of.

Divided Ground $5. Havent bought a war game in a while, this, IIUC, is based on engine that was in Rising Sun and some Euro theater games before that, none of which ive played. Im interested in the setting, as many of you are aware. Anyone play it? Any thoughts?
Old January 12, 2004, 13:07   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:02
Diablo2 + expansion is currently sold for 15€ in France. Probably the best quality/price investment I've done this year (the recent 1.10 patch changes seriously the game is played at high levels )
Old January 12, 2004, 16:01   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:02
I love the way people are so unsure of paying $4 for a game. So afraid of wasting their money.

MoO 3 on release day. At $40+ was a worse fiscal disaster of game purchasing than the US National Debt.
Old January 12, 2004, 19:33   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:02
Quote:
There was the BG2 with the x pack, not sure must have been $20, or close to it.
GO TO THE SHOP.
BUY AT LEAST TWO COPIES
REJOICE!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:06   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yes. Its GLORIOUS
Old January 13, 2004, 09:55   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I love the way people are so unsure of paying $4 for a game. So afraid of wasting their money.

MoO 3 on release day. At $40+ was a worse fiscal disaster of game purchasing than the US National Debt.

Oh yeah, i freely acknowledge that I'll pay $8 for a movie without batting an eye, but think carefully about spending the same amount for a game. Its part irrational bias on my part, and part awareness that Queen of the Mark doesnt yet accept that games are the equivalent to movies in cultural value and in "getting out of the house and doing something" etc. (By the way, the fact that when you walk into a game shop you see gory, fantasy images, not scholarly historical games, etc, doesnt help much)

And then its just a desire to start an idle discussion of these particular games.
Old January 13, 2004, 09:58   #7
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

GO TO THE SHOP.
BUY AT LEAST TWO COPIES
REJOICE!

-Jam

well first BG2 would stretch the specs on my old PC. Had hoped to get new PC around now, but imminent need to get new automobile, etc may defer that yet again. And when i do get a new PC i'll be running to get EU2, not BG2.

Even assuming the specs, worked, im not sure i want yet more RPG in a fantasy world. I mean BG is ok, and addictive, but it hasnt quite converted me from being essentially a strategy/simulation gamer. MIght get BG2 someday, but probably not right away.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:27   #8
flipside
Warlord

Local Time: 17:02
Buy a championship manager game.
Or chess.
Both are great value.
Especially chess, you can get a decent game for under a tenner.
Ummm...... at $8 a game it is reaching the import stage.
Old January 13, 2004, 22:30   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Even assuming the specs, worked, im not sure i want yet more RPG in a fantasy world. I mean BG is ok, and addictive, but it hasnt quite converted me from being essentially a strategy/simulation gamer. MIght get BG2 someday, but probably not right away.
Alright, well BG really isn't a good measuring tool to measure how good BG2 is. Trust me.
I hated BG. I loathed it and wished I could have returned it back to the store which I got it from.
Then I got BG2 and fell in love Evne now, and even by cheating, I still hate BG.
Old January 14, 2004, 03:03   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I hear that and you got as bargain. I paid 49.99 + 19.99 for the guide. With the fat tax in California it was over 80 buck for Moo3 and I did not get my monies worth.

Hell I have picked up many copies of games like Moo1/2 and Warlords III when I find them dirt cheap.
Old January 14, 2004, 07:49   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

well first BG2 would stretch the specs on my old PC. Had hoped to get new PC around now, but imminent need to get new automobile, etc may defer that yet again. And when i do get a new PC i'll be running to get EU2, not BG2.
IIRC the required specs for EU2 weren't that high........are you sure your machine wont play it?
Old January 14, 2004, 10:10   #12
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

IIRC the required specs for EU2 weren't that high........are you sure your machine wont play it?
Yup, ive checked.
Old January 14, 2004, 10:14   #13
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Then sod the car.........you need a new PC!
Old January 14, 2004, 11:25   #14
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Then sod the car.........you need a new PC!

Not gonna press that till ive finished BG1!!!!

and then there are so many bargain bin possibilities, like er, Divided Ground and Kohan
Old January 14, 2004, 13:50   #15
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:02
Kohan is definitely worth $4. IMO it's not the best RTS but it is light fun.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 14, 2004, 16:19   #16
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Kohan is an interesting game, which is quite fun. I have Arhriman's Gift, though.
Old January 14, 2004, 21:34   #17
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 10:02
red faction

If you can find it for $5, it will be well worth the multiplayer hours

but MAKE SURE you do not get the **** known as "red faction 2"

no multiplayer. i dunno what the hell shoved itself up THQ's ass/head and told it to not put MP in.
Old January 15, 2004, 03:55   #18
pg
Prince

Local Time: 11:02
eh, i'm pretty sure as long as you have like 233mhz+ with 64mb of ram eu2 is playable... i could be wrong though(it'll be extremely slow).