Old January 12, 2004, 20:35   #1
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
caffeine - confessions
I followed the link someone gave to chocolate is bad for dogs at the site howstuffworks and than started reading about caffeine

http://home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine3.htm

it actually sounds pretty nasty, but doesn't entirely fit with my expereince of it

I rarely get much caffeine now, after my blood pressure problem I haven't had a cup of coffee and have only had a couple caffeinated pops (and some chocolate, quite a bit on christmas n fact) since

anyway

I would occasionally (couple times a week) have a few coffees or expressos and would not get any boost of energy from it or anything (in fact I went to sleep right afterwards fine)

and when I went to coffee shops (at most once or twice a week), I would drink 6 or so expressos and 4 or so coffees in a couple hours

and mostly I was never effected

I was deffinitely never addicted, never had any ill effects when I would not drink coffee or do other caffienated beverages or eat coffee

so why didn't I suffer those bad effects discussed?

and why didn't I get addicted?

are you addicted?

how does caffiene effect you?

sometimes when I drank a whole lot of caffiene I would get a weird accelerated feeling, but I ahd to drinka lot for that to occur and that was usually the only affect to occur (There were a few times when it woke me up also, but usually nothing happened)

Jon Miller
Old January 12, 2004, 20:43   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 12:04
If I drink a cup of coffee I'm up for hours and will quite possibly get a headache.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 12, 2004, 20:53   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If I don't get my usual allotment of caffiene, I do get headaches... pounding headaches.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:56   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I can't stand coffee (I just never liked the taste of it :vomit: ), but I do keep a Dr Pepper handy at all times, just in case I need a good-tasting, energizing beverage (which is always.)
Old January 12, 2004, 20:58   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
Caffeine is my drug of choice, and I will down one to two pots of coffee in any given twenty-four hour period. That said, I don't suffer from withdrawal, except for being sleepier than usual.

If I want to catch up on my sleep over a few days, I just lay off the coffee.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 12, 2004, 20:59   #6
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Recent studies suggest that caffeine intake (in coffee) may decrease the risk of developing Parkinson's disease, but additional study is needed.
AHAAHHAHHAHA! CAFEINE IS GOOD FOR YUO!!!!!11

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Old January 12, 2004, 21:09   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
hugely addicted.

painful headaches if I go without for more than a few hours. If I sleep too late, much pain, subsides with the first rush of...aaahh caffeine.

I need to detox.
Old January 12, 2004, 21:19   #8
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I rarely drink caffiene now, though every once in a while I'll have a Pepsi. But this spring I had a Mountain Dew, and I got a terrible headache. I don't remember getting much of a pick me up from caffiene when I drank it.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 12, 2004, 21:30   #9
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 16:04
Drink a large cup in a morning once in a while, only to remind me that makes me really anxious and jittery through 3/4 of the day.

I've taken a liking to Red Bull in the morning. Not quite as strong, and a vitamin kick to boot.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 12, 2004, 23:37   #10
Soul Survivor
Settler

Local Time: 16:04
I drink 4-5 cups of tea each day.... but usually 2 or 3 of those are herbal so no caffeine there. Anyway, I like my tea light so I doubt there's much caffeine in there anyway. I drink alcohol more often than I drink soda, if I want to get my heartrate up I go run a dozen kilometers...
Old January 12, 2004, 23:49   #11
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:04
Addict. But I only drink caffeine early in the day, or else I can't get to sleep. So usually it's a 12-oz cup in the AM as I start work, and then a caffeinated soda either at lunch or in the afternoon (which, along with fibrous fruit, helps before the gym). No caffeine after 5pm.
Old January 13, 2004, 02:46   #12
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Mmm... coffee...
Old January 13, 2004, 03:01   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 00:04
Caffeine does nothing to me. I fall asleep all the same.
Old January 13, 2004, 04:01   #14
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I hate coffee. Tea makes me piss. Coke will keep me awake, but I think that's mostly from the sugar, because I inevitably crash. (When I want to get some writing done I'll often down a 2-liter of Coke and stay up until 5 am. Works like a charm.)
Old January 13, 2004, 04:07   #15
Mr. Harley
Prince

See my sig (added it this weekend).

I only drink one big mug when I get up, unless my stomach lining is complaing. If I have to skip, I get a light headache. If I drink any after I've been up more than four hours, getting to sleep is a pain.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 13, 2004, 04:12   #16
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

I have coffee on the order of one time a month though except for a fling in december before a math test, i hadn't touched the stuff since July when I had some dunkin donuts iced coffee.
Old January 13, 2004, 05:29   #17
FrostyBoy
Emperor

The thing about Coffee is that it stops working if you have been taking it too much in your life.

My Dad has about 4 cups every morning, it doesn't wake up him up, but if he stops taking it, he will be very sleepy. But the simple fact is, if he hadn't taken coffee at all, he would have been far better off.

I don't drink coffee, I wake up instantly, and only need about 4-5 hrs sleep (which is what I get now). Coffee doesn't wake you up, it slows you down.

What do you think is gonna happen when you use that adrenaline rush all the time? You big coffee drinkers are stuck in a hard place. You THINK you are waking yourself up, but you're really just preventing yourself from getting super-tired! Your body now needs the coffee just to be normal.

I remember reading that if coffee drinkers stop drinking coffee for about 3 months, they start to see a difference in their sleeping and things feel better. Like getting your sense of smell back after quitting smoking for a while.
Old January 13, 2004, 05:32   #18
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Oh, the site just said everything I said, I should've read that first before posting
Old January 13, 2004, 09:28   #19
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

it never waked me up

when I was young, caffeine wasn't really allowed in my family

I first started drinking coffee about 2.5 years ago

and the only caffeinated pop I like is Dr. Pepper which I have rarely

Jon Miller
Old January 13, 2004, 09:45   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:04
I drink caffeine only when I need to stay awake. As long as I don't drink it too often, it's efficient.