Old January 13, 2004, 01:08   #1
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
cities can't produce ships?
Anyone familiar with the bug where newly built cities cannot produce ships? -even though they're coastal, in perfect conditions etc. They can build coastal improvements but no ships.

Anyone who has an idea what may be causing this?

I'll try and export the map and import the map values again into the scenario with MapCopy and see if it helps. Could be something there perhaps, that some tiles are not perceived correctly... but I can't really think that should be it, since I haven't tinkered around that much with the map. It is a little strange, IMO.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:15   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:06
Hmm. Check the city with Gothmog's CivCity.

If not that, then maybe you have a far superior ship obsoleted and the building AI is choosing to hid inferior specimens.
Old January 13, 2004, 01:49   #3
hardjoy
Prince

I could understand if that was the case. But it happens in-game, for the player civ. I play the norsemen and decide to build a new city on an island or coastal tile. And the new city cannot produce ships, even though I have other cities which perfectly can.

I can fix the problem with civcity for prebuilt cities, but not for yet to be built-ones.
Old January 14, 2004, 01:12   #4
hardjoy
Prince

Anyone else who has encountered an error like this???

I can't seem to figure this one out. All new cities built are unable to produce ships... I haven't got the slightest idea why. Other preplaced cities, belonging to the same civ produce ships just fine.

In the early game of this scenario, only 2 ships are buildable by anyone, so this can't be any question of obsolescence. Any ideas? Similar weird experiences??
Old January 14, 2004, 02:58   #5
Theben
Deity

Why don't you attach the rules.txt so we can check it.

The only other thing I can think of is that the game, IIRC, assigns values to each city when it is settled. If you placed cities 1st and then changed the land nearby to water they still won't build ships.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 14, 2004, 03:00   #6
Theben
Deity

Quote:
And the new city cannot produce ships, even though I have other cities which perfectly can.
Missed that. I guess we need to see the map & rules.txt.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old January 14, 2004, 10:22   #7
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theben
Why don't you attach the rules.txt so we can check it.

The only other thing I can think of is that the game, IIRC, assigns values to each city when it is settled. If you placed cities 1st and then changed the land nearby to water they still won't build ships.
Yes, I thought this to be the case at first, but then I realized no new city, no matter where I built it, could build ships. And I didn't change that large portion of the map... just a tile or two in some places... gonna check into it again.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt rules.txt (26.7 KB, 2 views)
Old January 14, 2004, 15:12   #8
hardjoy
Prince

Seems I've been able to find a solution to the problem, although I still have little idea what caused this problem.

I managed to solve it by exporting the map into the civ2 map editor, analyzing it, and importing it back into the savegame using MapCopy, with all relevant map information and recalculated fertility values. Apparently this also solved my barbarian city problem, these are now producing shields as normal, although further testing needs to be done to make sure.

However, I imagine this problem could be of peculiar interest to someone, if it can be reproduced.
Old January 14, 2004, 17:00   #9
Theben
Deity

One time I had a mod that removed a semi-colon by mistake in the rules.txt. It caused massive barbarian uprisings to occur near the initial human players capital. It was literally a fight for survival during the 1st 50 turns or so until I got writing or settled near enough to the spawning points.
Unfortunately I can't seem to re-create it.

btw, I can't download your attachment b/c of conflicts between Norton and Apolyton's ad page... so I'm glad you fixed it on your own.