Old January 13, 2004, 16:29   #1
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What From of Public Speaking Appeals to You???
Hey all,

Watched a story on the news today about how fiery and confrontational Dean is in this public addresses. I don't think he is any more fiery than some other candidates. He does go ballistic on rude journelists sometimes, but they derserve it. It brings up a good question.

What triats in a public speaker turn you onto a speakers message?

Obviously what he is saying matters, but delivery is very important. I tend to like firm and calm speakers.

What turns me off is the high and mighty preacher syndrome where volume makes right, and of course sarcastic speakers why just throw insults. Don't get me wrong that is entertaining sometimes, but not serious in my opinion.

What appeasl to you?
Old January 13, 2004, 16:34   #2
The Andy-Man
Prince

i hate blair types who stop every second word like we are so stupid we can't handle more then 2 words in one go.

I really like the old man type with the deep and booming voice...
Old January 13, 2004, 16:39   #3
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
I like people who give me money, a la the Joker in Batman. I probably wouldn't vote for the Joker, though, what with him trying to murder me and all that.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:43   #4
The Andy-Man
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
I like people who give me money, a la the Joker in Batman. I probably wouldn't vote for the Joker, though, what with him trying to murder me and all that.

If its Jack Nicholson playing the joker, i'd vote for him any time of the day, 'Love that Joker'
Old January 13, 2004, 16:43   #5
Patroklos
Emperor

heh, I am not sure about the Penguin, you know with all the nose biting and such.

Yeah dramatic pauses are way overdone. Todays politicians are like LOTR characters. Stopping to stare into the publics eyes in some psuedo homoerotic pose every sentance, before realizing they ween't done talking and continueing.
Old January 13, 2004, 16:46   #6
The Andy-Man
Prince

my problem with modern politians is they have no style or flow, and they want to seem like 'really really really really really nice people'

I don't want a nice guy in chargem i want a brute who gets the job done
Old January 13, 2004, 16:55   #7
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
Good hand movement is critical. The individual must be able to use their voice well- they have to make you know where the punctiation would go if it were writen. never look like you are reading of a script-keep eye contact with the crowd.

Know how to pause- as has been said, it sould never be long, but you can;t go on for 3 hours straight either.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 13, 2004, 16:57   #8
Patroklos
Emperor

Thats true, you don't want to drone on, it is like ranting in here without breaking up paragraphs.

Used strategically pauses can add alot to specific points, but if you use it all the time the emphasis is lost.
Old January 13, 2004, 17:06   #9
The Andy-Man
Prince

you should also say something shocking it, and try your best to leave the audience stunned by your brilliance. Standing ovation is for wussies
Old January 13, 2004, 18:31   #10
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I like rational arguments that actually stand up in a critical analysis. If they are going to use literary devices and metaphorical language, I like them to have a coherent argument underpinning. Anything else irritates me :anger:
Old January 13, 2004, 18:33   #11
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
If its Jack Nicholson playing the joker, i'd vote for him any time of the day, 'Love that Joker'
That explains Thatcher.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 13, 2004, 18:41   #12
The Andy-Man
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

That explains Thatcher.
did some one say.. thatcher

Old January 13, 2004, 18:47   #13
The Andy-Man
Prince

speaking of mrs T and speeches, i always liked her 'the lady's not fo turning!' one. I like the line before it, 'The pres are speaing that word 'U-tutnr.' well i say, you turn if you want to...'
Old January 13, 2004, 18:48   #14
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
It'd either better be about something I've got interest in, or it better be entertaining. Also, good speaking is concise.
Old January 13, 2004, 18:57   #15
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 08:08
i like to give huddle speeches (like before a game)
Old January 13, 2004, 19:16   #16
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Re: What From of Public Speaking Appeals to You???
Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos

Obviously what he is saying matters
That's all that matters to me. I like the person to just talk normally. I get quite annoyed when they start infusing their message with charisma, passion, or whatever... Just say what you've got to say and don't mess it up with fake emotions.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 13, 2004, 19:29   #17
Patroklos
Emperor

Eddie Izzard, when he was talking about singing national anthems, stated that what people get from you when speaking:

1. ) 50% what you look like when you say it.
2. ) 40% how you sound when you say it.
3. ) 10% what you say.

He was making fun of people singing in groups whe didn't know the words, but would make up for it with a booming voice and hand gestuers. Not an authoritative coment in any way shape or form, but pretty funny because you see people do this at football games or for church songs all the time.

I am sure more than a few people get carried away by charisma, probobly can't remember what the hell was said five minites later, but it had such POWERFUL delivery
Old January 13, 2004, 19:32   #18
The Andy-Man
Prince

Eddie Izzard is usually always right (we will pretend he has no views on Europe )
Old January 13, 2004, 19:33   #19
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Personally, whenever I hear someone giving a really charismatic or passionate speach, I can't help but think of Hitler.

Do It Ourselves
Old January 13, 2004, 19:54   #20
Patroklos
Emperor

I have heard that opinion before, and I can't say I am immune to the same thoughts. But then I ask myself is in angry charismatic or happy charismatic. Or is the person pissed off or elated over what he is talking about. Both annoy me but the angry version more.

Good thing about that is ist is almost impossible to pull off that angry strategy systemically anymore, as people will always think of that one guy...
Old January 13, 2004, 19:58   #21
Japher
Emperor

I like it when speakers use props and tell jokes. Or, just say funny things that they don't realize is a joke. I also like them to look like monkeys and make pouting shapes with their mouth when they talk, and not really move their mouth much. I also think it helps if they have a Texan accent, or at least some sort of mutilated form of a southern accent....
Old January 13, 2004, 20:21   #22
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Anyone that can get to the point in under 3 minutes, using only correct English and without shouting.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 13, 2004, 20:39   #23
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

When speaking I go for a very informal tone. Try to have a conversation with the audience as much as possible. The more back and forth the better. I know my material well, so I am able to field any question well. Though I do often get tough questions and have to do my best to spin. I'm getting better at handling the tough question though.

I don't get all emotional or loud, I use a pretty steady tone. I use pauses, but its all conversational, not like an overly dramatized speech.

Being intellectually honest with the audience is really important to me, and I think goes a far way. I don't talk down to the crowd, use jargon, or imply in any way that we aren't all equals. This goes along with the back and forth, and listening in addition to just talking.

Plus I adopt a very relaxed posture, sitting(preferable), or in a stage/podium combo I lean on it in a comfortable posture (detractors would say I'm slouching). Not only does this make me comfortable and put me at ease, I think it does the same for the audience.

As for content, I draw a lot on common sense, logic and personal experience. People (at least the audiences I speak to) are too savvy to be wowed by endless statistics and numbers, they help to butress a logical argument, but only if it makes sense on a personal level. I draw heavily on our common experiences, and refer to my personal experiences often to make my case. Since I am very informal, relaxed, and personable I am often humorous, but always off the cuff, never a canned joke.

I suppose thats the type of speaker I like to hear as well. I don't want a pompous starched shirt delivering a pre-packaged speech.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 13, 2004, 20:42   #24
Harry Tuttle
SporeScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 11:08
large stadiums, banners, and angry rants and raves... Oh wait... Nevermind...
Old January 13, 2004, 21:31   #25
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 18:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Personally, whenever I hear someone giving a really charismatic or passionate speach, I can't help but think of Hitler.
It was probably seen as charismatic in the 30ies, but when I see Hitlerīs speeches today, I canīt stop laughing.
Old January 13, 2004, 21:32   #26
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Perhaps because you have an inbuilt bias?
Old January 13, 2004, 21:35   #27
BeBro
Emperor

Maybe, but I think all his overdone gestics and aggressive rhetorics would have the same effect today on an audience (that isnīt totally stupid) outside Germany....
Old January 13, 2004, 21:49   #28
Patroklos
Emperor

I think that the overall hateful message lends itself to an audience that needs something to hate, ie Wiemar Germany. It is a specialized tool.

It is a very powerful tool, because once you have that anger hooked with rhetoric, you can steer it anyway you want. We saw how that worked...
Old January 13, 2004, 22:11   #29
BeBro
Emperor

Yeah, it has its demagogic value, you know "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded"....