Old January 13, 2004, 23:58   #1
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Al Franken to host new show that will be the anchor for new liberal radio network
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- They haven't got a name or a launch date yet, but the entrepreneurs who dream of launching a liberal radio network have just landed themselves a lead man: Comedian and best-selling author Al Franken.

Progress Media planned to announce Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with Franken to host a live, three-hour daily broadcast that would form the anchor of the programming schedule, according to people familiar with the matter.

In an interview, Franken said the format of the show was still evolving, but he said he was certain that it wouldn't be akin to that used by his rival Rush Limbaugh, which Franken described as "non-guested confrontation."

"He has no one on the show but it's confrontation," Franken said. "His show is just him railing for three hours."

Franken said he planned to use a mix of interviews, calls from listeners and scripted comedy. He said he planned to have a co-host with long experience in radio, but he said that role had not been finalized.

Franken had long been rumored to be interested in a deal with Progress Media, the startup company that is assembling radio stations and talent for a radio network to challenge conservative talk show powerhouses like Limbaugh.

But Franken had been holding off in recent months, partly to promote his hot-selling book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," and partly because he had reservations about the previous owners of the venture.

"Things got more serious in terms of putting together stations and money to make this possible" with the change in ownership, Franken said.

Last November the company was bought by an investment group led by Mark Walsh, a former America Online executive and adviser to the Democratic National Committee, from the venture capitalists Sheldon and Anita Drobny.

Walsh, who serves as CEO of Progress Media, also said the new network had reached its first major distribution agreement, with the Chicago AM station WNTD. He said he expects to announce at least three other distribution deals in the coming weeks.

Walsh acknowledged that much work remains to be done on the network before it becomes a viable business, including lining up technical arrangements and setting up offices and studios.

He said that about 65 percent of the network's programming has been decided, but he declined to elaborate beyond disclosing another new show to be co-hosted by the environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. called "Champions of Justice."

The network also has yet to decide on a name. Last month the company indicated it would call the radio network Central Air, but Walsh said Tuesday the company was no longer certain it would be using that name.

Putting Franken in the midday time slot of noon to 3 p.m. Eastern time is a direct challenge to Limbaugh, whose hugely successful show occupies the same time slot.

Franken, whose earlier book was called "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot," said he plans to call up his nemesis for advice on his own show since Limbaugh has often said he wonders why new radio hosts don't seek out his counsel.

"I'll ask him advice: how he approaches a show, how he frames an issue. If it doesn't happen it will be -- very understandably -- because he won't take my call," Franken said.

Franken said his contract with Progress Media would last just one year, after which time both sides would reassess how things were going. He also said he very much wanted to do the show during a presidential election year.

"I'm interested in doing what I can to affect this election," Franken said. "I've thinking about what's the best use of my energies -- I hope this is it."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/13/lib....ap/index.html

It's about time. I have a friend who could easily co-host with Franken.

Down with Rush! Up with Al!
Old January 14, 2004, 00:00   #2
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Regardless of politics, Al is far more entertaining and just flat-out funny than Rush is. So why not?
Old January 14, 2004, 00:00   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 10:09
I can't stand Franken, and I can't stand Limbaugh.

Down with morons who think too highly of themselves and their opinions, and ramble incessantly about them.

I've seen lots of stuff (and lots of appearances on late night shows with Franken), and he's never made me laugh. Somebody please tell me something funny this man has done in his lifetime.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:04   #4
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 12:09
Quote:
Down with morons who think too highly of themselves and their opinions, and ramble incessantly about them.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:05   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 16:09
One of the mos striking changes ever....

From Al Franken hosting a new radio show to Mac vs. PC all over again
Old January 14, 2004, 00:05   #6
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Somebody please tell me something funny this man has done in his lifetime.
I'm sorry, every time I see Stuart on SNL I laugh for hours...

...but maybe I'm just easy to please...
Old January 14, 2004, 00:07   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I thought that sketch was lame.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:08   #8
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I'm sorry, every time I see Stuart on SNL I laugh for hours...
Agreed. The ones with Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley are particularly hilarious.
Old January 14, 2004, 00:16   #9
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Franken, Moore, et al. are definitely funny at times ('course they're sometimes lame as well, but most comedians are like that). I dare you to say that Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpiece of comedy.

But the best part about them is that they put the conservative hate phenomenon (Fox News, Rush, etc.) in perspective by creating a liberal counterpart. They aren't journalists concerned with things like things like accuracy, but are loud, obnoxious partisan propagandists. After all, what kind of journalist is O'Reilly if he's squaring off with a comedian?
(blatanly ripping off a New Republic editorial )
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 14, 2004, 00:28   #10
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I would appreciate it if you leave me out of your trolls.
Old January 14, 2004, 01:22   #11
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
wannabes
Old January 14, 2004, 02:56   #12
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:09
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
I would appreciate it if you leave me out of your trolls.
You have the spine of a jellyfish.
Old January 14, 2004, 14:07   #13
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
I dare you to say that Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpiece of comedy.
Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpeice of comedy. It's okay. Funniest scenes were where John Candy is insulting Canada at a hockey game, and nobody cares 'till he insults Canadian beer. Also that dude as the Mounty, who name escapes me at the moment. But otherwise it wasn't that good.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 14, 2004, 14:09   #14
Japher
Emperor

I liked it when the get pulled over by Dan Akroid, and their in the truck with "Canada Sucks" graffiti and the cop makes them write it in French too

Or, when the mounty (also can't remember his name, I can see his face though) tells them they took their friend to the Capital, and JC says "Ah, Toronto"
Old January 14, 2004, 14:16   #15
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I liked it when the get pulled over by Dan Akroid, and their in the truck with "Canada Sucks" graffiti and the cop makes them write it in French too

Very Canadian way of doing things.
Old January 14, 2004, 14:49   #16
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

Or, when the mounty (also can't remember his name, I can see his face though) tells them they took their friend to the Capital, and JC says "Ah, Toronto"
I think the mountie was Joe Flaherty from SCTV (with Candy).

Ramo

Franken had nothing to do with Canadian Bacon (but maybe you just meant Moore).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 14, 2004, 14:51   #17
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

BTW Akroyd isnt a mountie he's OPP (who are notorious ****** for handing out tickets).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 14, 2004, 15:48   #18
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

That'll happen unless you're down with OPP (and you know me...)

EDIT: I can't believe I just jacked my own thread...

I can't wait to listen to Franken to see what kind of guests he has, and what kinds of people will call in...
Old January 14, 2004, 15:52   #19
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

No, the mountie was comedian Stephen Wright.
Old January 14, 2004, 17:36   #20
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:09
While I may disagree with Franken on some issues, I support his right to make money by being outrageous, obnoxious and entertaining.

Go for it Al.
Old January 14, 2004, 19:14   #21
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Didn't Mario Cuomo try to do this back in '95?
Old January 14, 2004, 19:22   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yeah, Al's funny. Moore, however, has never been funny or even slightly entertaining.
Old January 14, 2004, 19:26   #23
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
While I may disagree with Franken on some issues, I support his right to make money by being outrageous, obnoxious and entertaining.
He's living your dream, isn't he? If only you could be paid!

Do It Ourselves
Old January 14, 2004, 19:31   #24
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Franken had nothing to do with Canadian Bacon (but maybe you just meant Moore).
Yeah, I only meant Moore.

Quote:
Canadian Bacon isn't a masterpeice of comedy. It's okay. Funniest scenes were where John Candy is insulting Canada at a hockey game, and nobody cares 'till he insults Canadian beer. Also that dude as the Mounty, who name escapes me at the moment. But otherwise it wasn't that good.
Bah, it's classic dude!

Quote:
My favorite scene.
And then Akdroid fines them, and says it's either 1000 Canadian dollars or 10 American dollars.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 14, 2004, 19:40   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Cool, competition over the airwaves is good... but only if they are funny, dammit!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)