Old January 17, 2004, 16:38   #61
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
TCO: Well, thanks for the opportunity to spit out pro-Orthodox propaganda.

Ted: I don't see why "wanting" to do something matters. I think things worth doing should be done regardless of how unpleasant they are. Many modern churches may be dry and out of touch with you, but they aren't just institutions of the present age. To continue my already-overused government analogy, Jimmy Carter was a pretty lame president, but the office of the President still needed to be preserved, right? Granted, we haven't had a non-lame president since, like, FDR, and there's some argument about him, but we have to hope for a return to former dignity. Same thing with the church. If you want to be inspired, put something into your religion for a change.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old January 17, 2004, 18:01   #62
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Anglican Communion churches are like the Roman Catholic Church post-Vatican II only we did what they did in Vatican II 400 years earlier and we don't have a Pope. We have term limited bishops and arch-bishops who are elected by counsels of laymen and clergy. The laymen on the counsels are themselves elected by the parishoners and the parish clergy are individually hired by the parishoners. Of course our clergy may marry. We're encouraged by the recent progress within the Roman Catholic Church and are reasonably hopeful that they will finally catch up to us in less than another 400 years.
Old January 18, 2004, 04:54   #63
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
/me munches popcorn from the sidelines.

Quote:
I think things worth doing should be done regardless of how unpleasant they are.
TCO has a point. Why go to church if church is a drag? Go to church if you enjoy doing so. The very fact that you don't really want to go is a sign that something is amiss, either in your own life, or in the church.
Old January 18, 2004, 10:16   #64
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Well, getting tetanus shots is a drag too, and we still need those. Church is meant for the glorification of god. Entertaining the congregation, while a relevant concern in a culture with a TV-induced lack of an attention span, is secondary. Certainly that shouldn't be the main measure of a church's worth. At least, I don't think so.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old January 19, 2004, 12:31   #65
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 17:09
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
...I am a Jew because the word of Israel is the oldest and the newest...
The Bushmen of the Kalahari, the Animists of West Africa and of course the aborigines of Australia had religion thousands of years before the first mud brick of Ur was laid down (and by implication, 1,000s of years before Abraham).

And if the word of Israel is the oldest... what about those exhortations not to sacrifice at the "High Places"? Seems to suggest a pre-Abrahamic religion to me...

The beliefs of the Native Americans and the Hindu's could again be older than Judaism, but the above examples definitely are.

I'm not saying that these religions are better or indeed different to Judaism - just much, much older, and still practised today.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 19, 2004, 13:15   #66
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Quote:
Well, getting tetanus shots is a drag too, and we still need those.
True, repentence is not much fun, but you do Christianity a disservice by leaving out the joy.