Old February 20, 2004, 13:10   #31
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
For the life of me, I can't remember who Gorgas is...

Having only played through the one time, most of the names have been forgotten.
Old February 21, 2004, 14:58   #32
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 17:11
He's the demon you kill to get the heart of kinathra, just before you get access to the otherworlds.

You've finished completely then? I suppose I should have assumed as much since its a month since your first post
Old February 21, 2004, 15:26   #33
centrifuge
Prince

Ahh okay, now I remember him...

Yeah I got on a pretty good roll, and finished it completely about a month ago. Good stuff imho

I'm contemplating going through it again, but I've been working through the 1st expansion of NWN,

... playing time just isn't what it used to be, so it may be a while
Old February 21, 2004, 20:19   #34
Standup
Prince

I'm quite a bit behind - only just got to my uncle after killing a few brigands. Don't seem to have quite mastered combat and combos - they seem to work sometimes and not others so just atacking using the keyboard shortcuts. Hopefully it will become clearer when i have more than a knife and the flare spell.

Spent most of my time so far getting lost in madrigal. I was going to try Planescape or Arx Fatalis but the game looks promising enough for them to wait - despite no automap and voice acting that is best described as bland.
Old February 22, 2004, 19:11   #35
Grumbold
Emperor

After a while I stopped using combos too except for the sort of occasional spells I might cast before combat.
Old February 25, 2004, 18:54   #36
Standup
Prince

The lack of rest is an interesting design decision. It makes the storyline feel a bit strange. The ability to go to the inn or somewhere just breaks the timeline up a bit so you don't feel like its all taking place in one day.

On the plus though i like the idea of not kipping for 8 hours and being fully recovered. After i misjudged a combat and had to run away i found myself on the western moors with a handful of hit points, couple of broken knives, no food, no gold and running away from the patrolling brigands. My first thought was to go have a kip somewhere, return to my combat and finish it off. Except you can't so easily get your hit points back and the bad guys move around or run away.

Although frustrating i eventually quite enjoyed having to run around the moors looking for herbs and mushrooms (while dodging the bad guys) to sell to get gold to buy food and so heal myself.
Old February 26, 2004, 11:48   #37
centrifuge
Prince

That's a good point Standup,

In BG, and NWN (more so in BG, in NWN they can follow you through doors) I've often found myself running away and resting, so that I can head back later and finish the fight.

In the beginnig part of this game that is not an option due to the lack of money and/or resources ...which gives you a bit of an "Oh Crap!!!" type of feeling

Unfortunately, Soulbringer does allow you to simply move through a door and chow down a couple of hams and then move right back in to continue the fight,

They are just games, but imho if your character can rest(eat, drink a potion etc) to gain back his strength, it makes sense that the "bad guy" should be doing something similar.
Old February 26, 2004, 12:57   #38
Grumbold
Emperor

After the first few fights you should never have food problems.

One tip: get herbs identified and never eat or sell the last one. As long as you have 1 in your pack identified all the rest will stack on it. Lose that one and you're back doing random food tasting or paying for another identify.
Old February 28, 2004, 18:46   #39
Standup
Prince

Wouldn't mind a light spell or lantern though. The flare spell is pretty useless and as much of the temple of shadows is in darkness - yeah i know that makes sense but it makes the game more frustrating than it needs to be especially with no map.
Old February 28, 2004, 19:11   #40
centrifuge
Prince

There's the firefly spell (I think that's what it's called) that will help you see better
Old March 6, 2004, 23:35   #41
3mmm
Settler

Local Time: 16:11
Hello, can anybody send me manual from Soulbringer?
Old March 22, 2004, 19:12   #42
Standup
Prince

Most versions seem to have a PDF on the CD itself. My version didn't come with any paper documentation.

One of the weaker things about it is how linear it is. Combined with the absence of secondary skills and character classes it seems if you get stuck there's not a lot of alternative game plans. YOu can't try plan B as a thief/fighter/mage or different quests as most PCs look like they'll end up fairly similar.

Haven't been able to get past the undead bishop for some time now but there doesn't seem to be much else to kill for experience. Maybe starting again and putting more emphasis into comabt and health might help but i'm not sure even an extra 100+ health points would help me.

Guess its something to return fresh in a week or two and see if i can nail him.
Old March 22, 2004, 19:18   #43
centrifuge
Prince

I always found that I had to do a lot of running

to quote my self from above:

Quote:
Soulbringer does allow you to simply move through a door and chow down a couple of hams and then move right back in to continue the fight,
...BTW, I agree about it being to linear, which is part of the reason that I don't think that replayability is much of an option.
Old March 22, 2004, 19:21   #44
Standup
Prince

I think you're right about the running unfortunately i still haven't managed to retrain myself from thinking that clicking loads means running faster

As the readme says each time you click the game recalculates your move so you effectively pause yourself if make multiple clicks. I'll learn eventually.
Old April 17, 2004, 15:48   #45
Standup
Prince

Couple of fireball scrolls and lots of running away sorted it. Now time to find my way to Shadowguard.

I had thought it was a case of just keep upgrading weapons for more damage but different armour has different effect. MAkes it a bit more than a mouse clicking fest. Same it took me a couple of beatings from the mercenaries to work this out
Old April 19, 2004, 07:12   #46
Grumbold
Emperor

Its definitely a game where experimenting is needed. I went slightly more for magic than muscle and that worked okay. I snuck a look at a walkthrough to help me at a couple of confusing moments.