Old August 15, 2000, 21:21   #1
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My very 1st multiplayer expirience...
I played Matthew and Makeo in deity 2x1x game.

I inherited an AI civ (Chinese) about 3000bc with some useless techs and fair ammount of units. We also had a 4th player (I forgot which one) but he leaved early on and M&M were allied.
I went straight for GW,more because of my habbit from single player than because of some real strategy. However,I got Mono from it and build some non-vet crusaders to force my way out from relatively small peninsula.
Makeo didn't liked my idea and my cities started to fall quickly,but I managed to build MC. Then I got an offer from him: 'Give me MC and I'll give you your cities back.'
I had no choice but accept a deal,but next turn Matthew bribed my MC city (it was size 2 and therefore cheap one).
Then Makeo offered me a money to bribe back my city,but that wasn't easy because MC-city supported a settler and Matt used it to block my diplo. I spend about 300 gold to bribe a settler and about 40 to bribe MC back. Of course,Makeo haven't informed his ally about our deal
Anyway...Matt figured it out and declared a war to pity Chinese and soon I surrendered.

I also remember some dialogue from the game.
After I bribed barb trireme I set sails to find some huts (found Matt instead).

-Peace?
-Sure.
-What do you want for MapMaking?
-Sorry...I don't have MapMaking yet.
-I can see your trireme nearby.
-Oh thats my single one. I bribed it from the barbs.
-Yeah...I believe you.

Well,this is the 1st MP game I ever played.
Whats yours?

Old August 15, 2000, 21:33   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I can probably speak for many MAC players.My first game(s) were a friggin nightmare.
WE HAD NO PATCH.
Lost connections,frequent freezes,bugs galore.Very bad scene.Delivering a caravan would freeze the game.Diplomacy often had the same result.It was awful.
Old August 15, 2000, 22:04   #3
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
Man, ain't that the TRUTH!!

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old August 15, 2000, 22:14   #4
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Ditto. I went back to playing the PC version through SoftWindows on the Mac.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old August 16, 2000, 03:13   #5
Alexander's Horse

So Smarty, the first time, was it good for you

Old August 16, 2000, 06:58   #6
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 16:04
My first game was with about five players. One of them was Edcase and I think Tazidude and someone with war in their name. We only got one session in so it didn't get very far, but I enjoyed it emmensely because I was finally playing against humans.

Smartfart the other player was Khanman. That game was a fun game especially with the double dealing going on behind the scenes. I was just reading over a tales from the front about that game that I found in the archives. I'll try and find a link for you.

I miss playing the guys I used to play with such as yourself, Matt and ariitea. Now that i'm not a student I can only get online at night my time and you and those guys are never online.

Heres the link. The post talking about that game is on page two. Not sure if the link will go directly too it.
http://apolyton.net/forums/Archives/...-000466-2.html
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Makeo (edited August 16, 2000).]</font>
Old August 16, 2000, 07:29   #7
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

My first game was with Sten Sture. He was kind enough to guide me through the basics of setting up a game and explained how complicated things like the chat window worked!

I told him how the first pop up of the chat window almost knocked me off my chair, and he started sending messages like "BOO!!!"

It was a double production game, I had unhappiness everywhere...

I remember when he sent me the IP and I typed it in. "Waiting our turn to join the game" popped up and MAN was I nervous! My heart pumped like mad...

It was fun, we had some intense fighting over a couple of my border cities.

Typically, that game is still unfinished...

Carolus
Old August 17, 2000, 22:13   #8
Empress
The Empress

My first multiplayer experience was kinda boring. I went to the zone me and this other guy, I can't remember his zonename, launched from the zone. We never attacked each other and there was only one other AI. Also, that was before I became a chatter bug and was still kinda shy being online so there was basically no action of any kind for three hours. However, the second time I tried it, I joined a group of chatterboxes and warmongers and leared the art of diplomacy and instantly became addicted to multiplayer

------------------
Apolyton Empress

"Loving one who does not love you is loving the rain that falls in the forrest." (Kenya Proverb)
My first Web Page
Vacation Pics!
Old August 18, 2000, 09:19   #9
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:04
My first game was a duel against oedo. He hosted, and I had a lot of lag. I rushed through my turns and barely had enough time to do micromanagement during his turns. He offered me a chance to resign after that first session, and I did (single-player habits die hard) - I didn't have a very good starting position, and the barbs had beaten up on me.

I'll second Carolus Rex's statement - my heart was racing through the whole session. For me, the most exciting moments in Civ are when the game hangs in the balance. That feeling can last through a whole MP game, instead of just cropping up a couple times in a SP game.

I thought I was a pretty good player before I started MP, but I've learned a lot about the game playing against people instead of the AI.
Old August 18, 2000, 18:39   #10
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
My very first Civ 2 MP experience was actualy using another program to make Civ 2 SP play like a MP but only in Hotseat. It was pretty boring actually, and no way near the excitment of when Civ 2 MPE came out. My first MPE game was via the Zone, I managed to find a bunch of guys who understod my lag problems being way down here in Australia and managed to get underway, unfoprtuantly , like so many games, it was never completed. I often wonder where those guys have gone now, never hear from them anymore.
Old August 18, 2000, 19:08   #11
iadkins

My first game was against makeo and Kingar
makeo dropped his guard against this 'newbie' and I won A great game! makeo loved it too and asked Ming to archive the thread. Great posts in there

I'd played so much Civ 1 and when I got Civ 2 I found the AI better but like most folks here I could easily beat it. In fact I got into a boring routine of building just 6-10 cities, perfecting them, and then wiping out the world in a few turns after I got Robotics. I never knew about ICS or even WLTPD (as a specific growth tactic). I just never needed them against the AI.

Now I'm lucky to ever get to play with howies

The MP game is so much more interesting now, with ancient and medieval wars I'd never had before, but MP has one huge problem:
Once you get into a protracted war between 2 players with lots of units the time it takes is absurd. The civ interface is not conducive to making this fun either. And it really sucks for the other players.
I think the Diplo formula is far better suited to online playing.
It just depends on time but I've finished very few games in a year.

But that first game with makeo WAS basically finished!!! (Kingar?)
You know, I've not used a howie since that game!

------------------
*THE DEITY*

Old August 21, 2000, 02:41   #12
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

it's official...i've played online too long. I don't even remember my first online game. i think i am going to go cry lol...

------------------
Kaak
Tribe of the Divine

To fail to try is the only true failure...
Old August 22, 2000, 13:24   #13
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:04
My very 1st multiplayer expirience...??

like all the rest to follow - not sure. i keep falling alseep.

MP...

B O R I N G ! ! !