Old January 16, 2004, 13:19   #1
techbota
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How to use a leader to.......
Hey I heard that you can use a leader to rush wonders. Although I cant figure out what to do to make this happen I cant find the option to do this.

Also I do know how to make the army but what mix of troops should I use and is there a way to unload the troops from the army and add new ones.
techbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 13:38   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:15
Only Scientific Great Leaders can rush the Great Wonders.

Military Great Leaders can rush Minor Wonders and your normal city improvements. They also build Armies.

Once you have a unit in an Army, it is stuck there (no upgrading possible). You can add units to an Army when ever you want until the Army is full.

As far as what type of mix of units to have in an Army goes, it all depends on what you want to use the Army for. I myself normally build a pure Knight Army or a pure Cavalry Army, or the best (as far as I'm concerned) is the pure Tank Army...but some players also like to add a defensive unit into the mix.
Old January 16, 2004, 13:40   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
As far as what type of mix of units to have in an Army goes, it all depends on what you want to use the Army for. I myself normally build a pure Knight Army or a pure Cavalry Army...so some players also like to add a defensive unit into the mix.
WHOA!!! Careful there: Never mix a defensive slowmover into a fastmover Army.

Check here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=46197
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 13:43   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

That's my philosophy too Theseus, but for some reason some players insist on adding a slower moving defensive unit into the mix.
Old January 16, 2004, 14:43   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

techbota it should be pointed out the CivIII and PTW only have one great leader type. Then the leader can rush any building or create an army (if you have 4 cities for each army).

In C3C that was changed to have two tyes of leaders as Wittlich said. The value of an army is higher in C3C than the others as they have been improved, see the thread on armies.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 14:44   #6
techbota
Chieftain

Thanx for the info. How is the easiest way to get a scientific leader and do they have any other uses other than rushing wonders?
techbota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 14:50   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

To get a scientific great leader you have to be the first to finish research on a new technology (any technology that hasn't been finished by anyone else before you get there) and then hope you get lucky. I think the percentage chance is 3% (though someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondary usage for the SGL is to boost science production for 20 turns. But that isn't nearly as good as rushing a great wonder (well, actually that depends on the wonder I suppose ).
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 18:25   #8
mactenchi
Settler

Local Time: 08:15
i believe that SGL's are not allowed to rush wonders in some or all of the scenarios.
mactenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 19:06   #9
vmxa1
Deity

The rules I mentioned are for epic games only. Scenarios can be customized to who knows what.

AFAIK you are correct it is 3% for non scientific civs and IIRC it is 5 or 6% for scientific ones. IOW it is not common to get one.
Old January 16, 2004, 19:13   #10
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I've never had one yet.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 19:32   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Nor I.
Old January 16, 2004, 20:41   #12
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I had just built an army, put a unit into it, and then got counter attacked and it was killed.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
chequita guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 21:00   #13
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Once, and once only, I got a leader from defensive combat. He was immediately captured and executed. By the French. The French!

The shame of it...
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 21:02   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I'm playing as Byzantium on emperor and have gotten two sci's so far. Unfortunately they were both in the modern age. And I'm about an entire age ahead of the nearest competitors
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 21:02   #15
vmxa1
Deity

I have had SGL, but I have also had games that I did not get one.

chegitz guevara if you mean literally one unit, then you are living dangerously. I will do that for an attack to get the Epic after dropping a unit to 1HP. Even that is risky.
Old January 16, 2004, 22:23   #16
Drachen
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I have had SGL, but I have also had games that I did not get one.

chegitz guevara if you mean literally one unit, then you are living dangerously. I will do that for an attack to get the Epic after dropping a unit to 1HP. Even that is risky.
I second vmxa1's opinion unless you were in a desperate situation in which maybe losing the army was better than risking losing...?

Anatole France

Last edited by Drachen; January 16, 2004 at 22:43.
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 08:09   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
An army with one unit in it... that would mean the only bonus is an extra move point, unless the attack/or defense was worth 6+, or 4+ and you had the Military Academy, wouldn't it? All that extra C3C potency gone, unless you wanted to pillage a few squares to death more than you wanted an army.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 14:23   #18
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill Secondary usage for the SGL is to boost science production for 20 turns. But that isn't nearly as good as rushing a great wonder (well, actually that depends on the wonder I suppose ).
Hmm...can you boost science production for 19 turns and then rush a wonder? Just wondering...
Old January 29, 2004, 15:45   #19
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard

Hmm...can you boost science production for 19 turns and then rush a wonder? Just wondering...
Nope. Once the SGL is used for one thing or the other, it's gone.

Hmm, just saw the wink smiley. Perhaps you weren't looking for an answer, but oh well.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 08:19   #20
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 18:15
I've had some Scientific Leaders in my games, perhaps 5 in a month of playing.

Is there a chance to get Scientific Leaders if you get a tech from a hut?
Old January 30, 2004, 10:32   #21
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

A couple people have done some pretty extensive testing (I think vmxa1 was one of them), and it appears that the answer is no, you can not get an SGL from a tech earned from a goodie hut.
Tall Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 10:56   #22
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Did we ever confirm that you cannot get a SGL if you have an existing MGL?
Old January 30, 2004, 11:06   #23
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 18:15
I think I've had one of each at the same time, but I may remember wrong.
Old January 30, 2004, 11:09   #24
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
I think I've had one of each at the same time, but I may remember wrong.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old January 30, 2004, 11:17   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

It has been reported that you can have a SGL and a MGL at the same time. I have not done that personally, since my leaders don't tend to sit around long.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 12:06   #26
MqsTout
Chieftain

I wonder if GA and a scientific discovery age from a SGL stack properly or if that's bugged too.
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2004, 13:06   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Did we ever confirm that you cannot get a SGL if you have an existing MGL?
Yes you can have both and can even have more than one SGL and an MGL.

I have only had MGL and SGL at the same time though.
Old January 30, 2004, 17:50   #28
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill Hmm, just saw the wink smiley. Perhaps you weren't looking for an answer, but oh well.
Actually, I was looking for an answer, but I would have bet money that I knew the answer (and I would have won).

While we're on the topic...I know that promotion is less likely when fighting barbs. I would think the same is true of generating an MGL. In my very limited experience I have *never* seen a GL from combat with barbs. It also sounds like defensive combat is a poor source of GLs.
Old January 30, 2004, 17:55   #29
vmxa1
Deity

You cannot create MGL form barbs. You can get promotions to Vet and elite, but that is it.
Old February 5, 2004, 14:12   #30
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
You cannot create MGL form barbs. You can get promotions to Vet and elite, but that is it.
Thanks. Finally got two MGL by using a militaristic civ, but it sure doesn't look like I'm getting 1 per 8 elite victories, as I once read. Maybe that got reduced along the way.