Old January 23, 2004, 03:57   #211
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The next Mafia game will let you play as a suicide bomber. Untill then...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 23, 2004, 07:47   #212
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:19
Jamski

I think that it is slightly more likely to be you

Jon Miller
Old January 23, 2004, 07:49   #213
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 23, 2004, 08:20   #214
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
I say Nikolai. Never was the sort to make big decisions.
Old January 23, 2004, 08:35   #215
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:19
Are you still supposed to have a tie? I thought you were supposed to kill the maffia now.
Old January 23, 2004, 08:49   #216
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Funny how tourists still want to visit this village...
Old January 23, 2004, 08:54   #217
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Yep, they don't want ties now. If they tie, the mafia does not die.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 23, 2004, 09:05   #218
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
I don't want a tie, I just didn't feel like being up to deciding who to off. I'll reconsider my vote, yes, but I wanted to vote someone in case I forget to think over it...
Old January 23, 2004, 09:56   #219
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Speaking of which, I don't think there should be the two-turn mafia safety zone. If we manage to kill them, we deserve to live. What purpose does this two-turn buffer serve? I say get rid of it.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:02   #220
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 11:19
We should probably leave it up to the GM to what rules he wants to implement, but I agree. Never saw the bonus in that.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:06   #221
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Yes, quite amazing.
Old January 23, 2004, 10:17   #222
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
I run a traveling Undertaker business in a van down by the river..........
Old January 23, 2004, 10:30   #223
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think we should make the village a tourist attraction after the Mafia is caught...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 23, 2004, 10:40   #224
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

The daily refreshed horror scenes had already made the village a hot tourist attaction.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 23, 2004, 10:42   #225
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Are you still supposed to have a tie? I thought you were supposed to kill the maffia now.
If they have a tie now then they would almost be able to guarentee they catch the mafia the next turn. If they don't have a tie and they didn't kill the mafia, then they can never really be sure ...

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 23, 2004, 11:02   #226
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
If they have a tie now then they would almost be able to guarentee they catch the mafia the next turn.
Unless we're double-wrong.
Old January 23, 2004, 11:29   #227
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

HongHu: That isn't true. If you tie this turn, and the mafia does not die, then choosing the other person of the tie next time is logical. However the net effect is 0. The reasoning for this is that if you tie this time, then the mafia will not be killed. There is a probability of 0. If you choose the other person in the tie next time, then they have twice the chance of being the mafia, because they have the average chance of two people. Therefore, it is exactly the same porbability as if you don't tie and choose 2 random people.

If you tie, the other person in the tie is, probability wise, the most likely mafia, and the best choice next time. However that is because during the tie there is no chance of executing the mafia. Choosing two random people is the same, but you don't have to choose the other person the next time in order to have the same probability, you can choose anyone. This ability to adapt, the flexibility of choice, is the reason ties are generally not a good thing, except for in the first two rounds when you don't want to kill the mafia.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 23, 2004, 12:01   #228
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

NameStatusVote
NikolaiAliveJamski
ZopperoniAliveNikolai
MattHAliveNikolai
Skanky BurnsDead (Mafia - Round 2)N/A
GuynemerDead (Villagers - Round 1)N/A
CaptainGarlicAliveNikolai
FrozzyAliveN/A
PaveAliveN/A
KassiopeiaAliveNikolai
alvaDead (Mafia - Round 3)N/A
JamskiAliveNikolai
Jon MillerAliveN/A
SandmanAliveN/A
Spaced CowboyAliveJamski
ADGAliveJamski
DrogueDead (Mafia - Round 1)N/A
Comrade TassadarDead (Villagers - Round 2)N/A
rahAliveFrozzy
Village Status: Day
Votes:
  1. Nikolai - 5
  2. Jamski - 3
  3. Frozzy - 1
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 12:31   #229
Snowflake
Princess

You like to talk about possibilities don't you, Director Drogue?

Ok let's see. We have 13 undead people. Without any information, if one is ramdomly choosen, the chance that he is the mafia is 1/13. If he turns out not to be the mafia, the next turn we have 2 people less, and the chance we choose the mafia by randomly picking is 12/13 * 1/11. So the total probability of catching him in two turns is 1/13+12/143 = 23/143.

Now if we are going to pick two people in this turn, the chance that one of them is the mafia is 2/13. So the chance that we catch the mafia in the second turn is 22/143.

Well guess you are right. Without additional info, a tie does not help. I guess because the second turn one person would be killed by the mafia so we actually take more info into account by not restricting ourselves with a tie.

Not that this is of interest of anybody.

Grapefruit Garden
Old January 23, 2004, 14:50   #230
Sandman
King

Local Time: 17:19
Jon Miller.
Old January 23, 2004, 17:14   #231
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
13 Undead people? Sweet zombie Jesus!
Old January 23, 2004, 19:56   #232
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Nikolai
Old January 23, 2004, 20:44   #233
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I feel the cold, slimy fingers of Death streching after me...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old January 23, 2004, 21:38   #234
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

With Frozzy's vote ended yet another meeting of the village. Nikolai now had a three-vote lead over his closest "contender" and so even the votes of the missing Pave and Jon Miller couldn't possibly save him. All the time that the voting took place, Nikolai was sitting a little bit away from the crowd, that gathered around a fire, and was grinning, even though he looked rather nervous and a bit suspicious. But when Frozzy spoke, the fisherman realized that his end was near. His face changed its expression, and now some unhuman rage was seen in his eyes. He looked like an animal caught in a cage. He looked a bit insane...

The villagers surrounded Nikolai, who stood motionless - now the center of attention. But when ADG the lumberjack made a motion to grab Nikolai by the hand, the man burst. He gave a cry of rage and hit ADG square in the nose with his right, and then followed up with a hook to the jaw with his left. The hits were quite unexpected and ADG lost his balance and fell to the ground. Everybody was stunned by this sudden turn of events, but Jamski was the first one to come out of the surprised stupor and jumped at Nikolai from the back, trying to grab his neck. Nikolai, amazingly, felt the danger and ducked right out of Jamski's way. He turned around, and used the momentum of the spin to connect smoothly with Jamski's stomach. The hit knocked the wind out of the sheperd, and the man staggered to one knee, gasping for breath. A sly smile appeared on Nikolai's face and he stood up straight, looked at the rest of the villagers to see who would come next. Just as Nikolai turned his head, a swoosh could be head, and ADG's axe took it off cleanly...

The mess was cleaned up, but the villagers didn't celebrate. They had learned to know better than that. In the evening, however, noone found any more threatening messages, and the village slowly returned back to the normal pace of life. Although Skanky's pub was sorely missed...

Nikolai was, indeed, the Mafia, and he replaced Guynemer. I don't know, either you guys are getting much better, or I am just lousy at giving subtle hints, but you got both Mafias again. Congratulations to the winners: Zopperoni, MattH, CapitanGarlic, Frozzy, Pave, Kassiopeia, Jamski, Jon Miller, Sandman, Spaced Cowboy, ADG, and rah!
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 21:39   #235
vovan
Emperor

Re: Mafia 7 - Appearances Can Be Deceiving
Double post.
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 21:51   #236
MattH
King

Woo-Hoo!!!
Old January 23, 2004, 22:03   #237
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Great game

And sign me up for the eighth edition

I initially wanted to volunteer for GM in the next game, but this one ended too soon. I'm too busy at the moment, but would like to GM the ninth game then.
Old January 23, 2004, 22:07   #238
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Sign me up for the next one.
Old January 23, 2004, 22:13   #239
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

RAH (POSTING FROM MING"S MACHINE)

SAVE ME A SPOT>

Thanks.
Old January 23, 2004, 22:14   #240
MattH
King

Oh yeah... spot me!