Old January 18, 2004, 00:40   #1
Objulen
Settler

Local Time: 11:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Simple Question
Somthing I have never been able to figure out how to do is to cancel a treaty with another faction; usually, this isn't a problem, since factions I need to do this with are going to abrigate the alliance of their own volition. However, I since I do require this option from time to time, and lack the knowledge of how to do this myself, I was wondering if any here would be so kind as to inform me of the processes required for the accomplishment of this aim.
Old January 18, 2004, 03:21   #2
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Normally you either piss em off to the point that they attack you or you attack them.

I think that if you swipe technology with a probe team (and they vendetta your ass) you don't get the diplomacy hit, but normally you just attack them to remove the treaty.
Old January 18, 2004, 04:08   #3
Objulen
Settler

Attacking outright will remove the treaty, but what I wanted to know was if there was a way to annul a treaty with dialog options during a diplomatic session instead of taking the 'integrity' hit by launching a 'sneak attack'.

Last edited by Objulen; January 18, 2004 at 04:15.
Old January 18, 2004, 07:30   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 05:19
When I want them to declare war first I try making ludicrus demands, and if that doesn't work I do a probe action which nearly always causes them to vendetta... It's hard to recall an instance where openly probing a treatied faction didn't result in vendetta, altough pactmates can tolerate a bit of it.

I think probing is okay because it's like "Free flow of information", the other faction is in the wrong for not sharing :P.
Old January 18, 2004, 08:08   #5
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 17:19
you can't annul treaties via diplomacy, those are your only options ie, annoy them or attack them.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 18, 2004, 10:16   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:19
You can right-click on the name in the commlink.

Doesn't anyone know that anymore

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 18, 2004, 10:59   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I...don't see it there. Is that just for pacts?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 18, 2004, 13:54   #8
FrosT37
NationStates
Settler

If they are the Spartans, the Hive or the Believers, it works well to demand withdrawal
Old January 18, 2004, 14:31   #9
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Jam ? thats pacts not treaties ... right ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old January 19, 2004, 05:08   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Ah, must learn to read properly. :stupid:

Not that the AI ever offers me a treaty

-Jam
Old January 19, 2004, 06:30   #11
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Kill em all, make em submissive. It's the best way!
Old January 19, 2004, 17:19   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I personally favor the ludicrous demands route. Demanding withdrawal from your territory many times in a row also works sometimes.
Old January 19, 2004, 19:26   #13
Jamski
Deity

Just attack them while under a treaty

-Jam
Old January 20, 2004, 16:00   #14
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

I have found that at the higher difficulty levels in which I play, a good reputation will do little to encourage the AI to sign treaties with you, especially when you're ahead in the powergraph. My advice is to not worry about your rep, except to not accept ceasefires or treaties from enemies you know you'll be conquerring within the next 50 turns.
Old January 20, 2004, 16:16   #15
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:19
Against the AI, I agree with CEO Aaron-- they will all hate me when I take the lead anyway-- against human players, I have never found ONE that gave a hoot about what my reputation was as reflected by the in-game status. If I had been a fiend they distrusted me and did not care that I was NOBLE while if I had l kept my promises, they did not care that I may have started wars with the AI.

But if you want to keep your reputation, both methods previously suggested do work. Personally, my preferred method is to probe them repeatedly-- you get tech or cash and take no rep hit. I found that having to constantly call the AI to demand withdrawal annoyed me before it annoyed them LOL.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:25   #16
Bella Hella
Prince

i can get them to vendetta me sometimes just by calling them up each turn. they really hate it when you keep bothering them for no reason.

ring, ring
santiago (ambivalent): hello?
me: hi!
santiago: state your case quickly, for i have little time to chat.
santiago: my apologies, i have no time for your crap. (hangs up)

next turn....
ring, ring
santiago (belligerent): hello?
me: HI!
santiago: what do you want?!?
me: HIIIIIIII!
santiago: gaaaah! (hangs up)

next turn...
ring, ring
santiago (seething): HELLO?
me: ....
santiago: HELLO? who is this?!?
santiago: vendetta upon you! you'll pay for your persistent meddling!
me:

or something like that.

/got carried away again
Old January 21, 2004, 18:48   #17
FrosT37
NationStates
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
i can get them to vendetta me sometimes just by calling them up each turn. they really hate it when you keep bothering them for no reason.

ring, ring

next turn....
ring, ring

next turn...
ring, ring
me:

or something like that.

/got carried away again
You deserve it
Old January 22, 2004, 11:53   #18
Objulen
Settler

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old January 22, 2004, 19:19   #19
sammy1339
Chieftain

Is there any way to cancel a treaty without declaring vendetta? Not that you would ever really want to, unless you were slightly outmatched at the very end of the game - perhaps then you might not want to give the other guy the trade bonus. Nope, actually even then you would want to start a war. But is it physically possible to go directly from treaty to truce status?
Old January 22, 2004, 22:21   #20
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 12:19
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I've had the AI rescind a Treaty (for many of the reasons listed above for which they dissolve a Pact), but I've not seen a method for the human to do so.
Old January 22, 2004, 23:50   #21
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

What are the mechanics in a pbem game. I have just probed a Pact mate for a tech. That strange message pops up, as if to your pact mate. Advising a) do you want to ignore with a rebuke or b) to wage vendetta.

Are you as the player to pick the vendetta option?

Because I hadn't probed a PACT mate before I think I chose a). But I did send a dip message via the Commlink and an email to my 'PACT' mate advising what I had done.

Of course, having chosen a) I then tried to go into a 'technical' vendetta, that is, without actually attacking, but couldn't see an option in the dip box. So I guess when that strange screen pops up I should choose b) in future.
Old January 23, 2004, 02:46   #22
Barinthus
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:19
There's a post about that somewhere else. If I'm correct, that message box's a bug. Seems that players just agree beforehand what to do should that situation pops up then act accordingly.
Old January 23, 2004, 04:16   #23
Jamski
Deity

In PBEM its taken as a normal rule that you ALWAYS declare vendetta when that pop-up comes.

Its because normally the person being probed gets the pop-up, but of course they're not playing at the time...

-Jam
Old January 23, 2004, 04:52   #24
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella

ring, ring

next turn....
ring, ring

next turn...
ring, ring
me:

or something like that.

/got carried away again
ROFLMAO
Thanks, I needed that.
Just goes to show you... there's making a point concisely, and then there's illustrating it with a fine brush.