Old January 18, 2004, 14:08   #1
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Poll: Accept Put Pact?
I think we should NOT accept the Pact THIS TURN, but rather NEXT TURN.

It now aparent that the Hive is building up in preperation to build a Secret Project and our relations with them are growing weaker. A Pact with Uni (whom they consider an enemy) would give them dipolomatic cover to conduct trades with PEACE and potentialy steal the PEG from us.

I think our best bet is too accelerate our build plan for the PEG (I belive we can move up to aquiring in 56) and stall the Hive as much as possible in its dealings with PEACE to aquire the nessary tec. The slower they are at doing this the better shot we have of getting the progject for ourselves.

Also note that we have NOT prepared the public statment we had planned, inwhich we would formaly declare our stance of peacfull nutrality and disire forPacting with the 3 remaining factions. By making this proclamation and sending offers to Drones and Uni we were hoping to conseal the depth of our secret aliance with Uni untill such time as we were taking the MMI projects. Pacting with Uni too early would compromise us and likly result in an acceleration of the Hives build plans possibly beating us.

If Archaic is willing the hold his Pact offer another turn then by all means delay it so as not to tip our hand.

I asumed Maniac and Drogue will have some response to this so please let them post their arguments before voting.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 18, 2004, 14:32   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:21
I wished you had posted your objections earlier in the PUT exchanges thread. Then I could have asked Archaic about it, and he could have offered SotHB without a pact. Archaic seemed to be very looking forward to a pact, so it would probably seriously damage relations if we told him now, when he has already pre-accepted a pact, that we wanted to wait a little longer. I wouldn't want to jeopardize our pact and also us getting SotHB because of this.
I made a deal with Archaic, and no one objected when it still was possible, so IMHO it's now too late to change our mind.

Quote:
Also note that we have NOT prepared the public statment we had planned, inwhich we would formaly declare our stance of peacfull nutrality and disire forPacting with the 3 remaining factions.
The plan to make such a public statement has been thought of MY 2150 IIRC. It still hasn't been done... So I assume such a statement will never get written. I wish I had the time to write it, but I don't have that time at the moment. And I don't want to delay the pact with PUT indefinitely because no one else is writing the statement either.
Old January 18, 2004, 15:56   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 16:21
It should be written and released with the turn tonight. I had to wait due to family reasons, but if it's posted tonight, then we can have it done fine

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 18, 2004, 18:15   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i am still for a pact with the UNI...after reading everybodies statements...and i have nothing to add
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old January 18, 2004, 22:18   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:21
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I would be for waiting, but Maniac's comments worry me a little. We don't want to piss Archaic off. Is there no chance that he can be contacted soon about this? If we didn't get the PEG, we would have to settle for the CDF, or wait until we had access to the CF and/or the CBA. Personally I think ensuring the Hive don't get the PEG is a priority, and getting it ourselves is preferable.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 19, 2004, 05:34   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Personally I think the extra techs from trading the PEG is worth more, but I guess I'm alone in that. IMHO, all that would happen is we get the CBA instead of the PEG, and gain an extra couple of techs. That's a good deal IMHO.

Old January 19, 2004, 08:24   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
IMHO, all that would happen is we get the CBA instead of the PEG
Why not try to get both?
Old January 19, 2004, 10:59   #8
Drogue
staff

We could try that, but IMHO we won't manage it, and the lack of crawlers from trying to do it may hit us.

Even if we could get both, I don't think all the mins to build it, plus two techs, is worth it. Especially when there are many decent SPs we could get (CBA, CDF, CF especially).

Old January 19, 2004, 11:25   #9
Maniac

Quote:
We could try that, but IMHO we won't manage it, and the lack of crawlers from trying to do it may hit us.
It will still take several years to get to MMI. More then enough time to build a few crawlers and save 330 credits again, especially if we switch to FM in a few years.

Quote:
Even if we could get both, I don't think all the mins to build it, plus two techs, is worth it. Especially when there are many decent SPs we could get (CBA, CDF, CF especially).
First off, I guess you know my opinion the difference would be only one tech. Secondly, have you read the quoted post below in the Drone dip exchanges thread? We'll actually be saving lots of minerals by building the PEG.

Quote:
If we capture all possible PEACE bases, we will have a faction with 20 bases. If we would have to build energy banks in all of those, it would cost 20*80=1600 minerals, and cost us 20 credits maintenance per year. So with building the PEG for 300 minerals, we're saving 1300 minerals and 20 credits per year. That's certainly worth one tech less IMO.
Old January 19, 2004, 11:39   #10
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
It will still take several years to get to MMI. More then enough time to build a few crawlers and save 330 credits again, especially if we switch to FM in a few years.
But will it take the Drones/Hive several years? 3 or 4 maybe, IMHO.

Quote:
First off, I guess you know my opinion the difference would be only one tech.
But I think it's 3, so 2 would be the midpoint. IMHO, the Drones would trade if they knew they could sell it to the Hive. The Hive have already offered 2 techs. IMHO the Drones would not trade for it without the PEG, and the Hive would trade with PEACE. Hence we lose three.

Quote:
Secondly, have you read the quoted post below in the Drone dip exchanges thread? We'll actually be saving lots of minerals by building the PEG.
I have. That's presuming we build Energy Banks in each base. I almost never build them, as they're a waste of time, and bring in little energy, IMHO. Do a comparison with how much ec we get with PEG, and how much without, and compare that.

Old January 19, 2004, 11:52   #11
Maniac

Quote:
But will it take the Drones/Hive several years? 3 or 4 maybe, IMHO.
The Hive and Drones still need to research SotHB, Neural and MMI. We and PUT only need DAP and MMI before we can build the CBA.

Quote:
I have. That's presuming we build Energy Banks in each base. I almost never build them, as they're a waste of time, and bring in little energy, IMHO.
They give +50% credit production.
Old January 19, 2004, 11:56   #12
Drogue
staff

Yes they do. But that isn't much, since we don't produce that much ec. +50% credits when most of our bases produce only 2 or 3 credits is hardly worth it, especially when they cost ec each year.

And the Drones will steal another tech next year, IMHO, and if they steal Neural, they can research MMI, can they not? I doubt it will take long

Old January 19, 2004, 12:21   #13
Maniac

Quote:
Yes they do. But that isn't much, since we don't produce that much ec. +50% credits when most of our bases produce only 2 or 3 credits is hardly worth it, especially when they cost ec each year.
When we go FM, we will produce much more credits. And if we set our energy allocation to 80% once in a while, the difference can run up to 100 credits extra. This difference will only increase as our economy expands.
Also, if we build the PEG, those energy banks won't cost a thing for maintenance.

Quote:
And the Drones will steal another tech next year, IMHO,
Why do you think that? Has HongHu told you anything we should know??
Old January 19, 2004, 12:43   #14
Drogue
staff

Quote:
When we go FM, we will produce much more credits. And if we set our energy allocation to 80% once in a while, the difference can run up to 100 credits extra. This difference will only increase as our economy expands.
Why would we do that? IMHO, at FM, more psych is needed, and usually labs is put higher. But that may just be me.

Quote:
Also, if we build the PEG, those energy banks won't cost a thing for maintenance.
That is true.

Quote:
Why do you think that? Has HongHu told you anything we should know??
No, it just seems sensible. They wouldn't go for vendetta unless they had something lined up. They said before they intend to probe rape. My guess is that they'll do about one per turn, maybe one every two turns.

Old January 19, 2004, 12:45   #15
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

do they already have an vendetta?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old January 19, 2004, 12:50   #16
Drogue
staff

Yes. They stole tech last turn, IIRC.

Old January 19, 2004, 12:59   #17
Maniac

Quote:
Why would we do that? IMHO, at FM, more psych is needed, and usually labs is put higher. But that may just be me.
If we go 80% economy and 20% psych under FM, we'll get lots credits to hurry facilities and try to decrease our backwardness compared to other factions. Plan of Impaler.

Quote:
No, it just seems sensible. They wouldn't go for vendetta unless they had something lined up. They said before they intend to probe rape. My guess is that they'll do about one per turn, maybe one every two turns.
Seems likely indeed. I only wished Archaic realized the seriousness of this threat.
Old January 20, 2004, 04:59   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:21
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Personally I think the extra techs from trading the PEG is worth more, but I guess I'm alone in that. IMHO, all that would happen is we get the CBA instead of the PEG, and gain an extra couple of techs. That's a good deal IMHO.
EDIT: Questions answered when I read the Hive proposal thread!

We are discussing whether to effectively give up the PEG for a few techs. We need a SP and we will get one, the issue is whether the PEG is best, or whether we should hope to get the CBA, if all goes well for us in the next few turns. Also remember that we should not just weigh up the potential gains from having the PEG, but also the potential gains of the Hive or Drones if THEY get the PEG. Can someone look at the infiltration data and find out how much they would be gaining from the PEG?

In the absence of this data, my feeling is that we should just concentrate on the PEG now, and worry about the CBA or something else when we are all closer to being able to build it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; January 20, 2004 at 05:15.
Old January 20, 2004, 06:31   #19
Drogue
staff

MWIA: IMHO the 'few techs' is worth more than the PEG. As for the use of the Hive/Drones, it is large. But I'd rather they had than than the CBA.

The issue is whether the PEG is better than another SP plus the extra techs (somewhere betwen 1 and 3) we will get. IMHO I'd choose the other SP and the techs.

Old January 20, 2004, 16:34   #20
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Our building or not building of the PEG will have almost no effect on the aquisition of MMI based projects.

Obtaining MMI projects will depend most on who gets the tecs first. It will be a race between the reserchers and the Builders to aquire the nessary tecs and who ever dose that first will get the projects easily.

By expending 330 Credits and 3 Crawlers we get an excelent and extreamly valuable project that will work wonderfully with our FreeMarket economy to produce huge sums of Credits. It wont slow down our tec progression and denies the Hive a Project which could patch up their one major weakness of poor Credit Production.

Further more we can trade with Uni for ALL the important restricion lifting tecs that we will need, why trade with the Hive which is stronger and more likly to be a future enemy then with Uni who would be more submissive towards us, unlikly to back stab us and more easily back stabed at some later date. Trading with the Hive just makes them that much stronger.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 20, 2004, 16:44   #21
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

If a junior has a vote for this:
I would go for PEG as well.

It would, among the other reasons brought up, instantly raise research rate as well, so in the long run techs will be invented sooner.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 20, 2004, 16:57   #22
Impaler[WrG]
King

Yes everyone gets a vote, but I must apologize as we kind of drifted off topic, the topic here should have been the Uni Pact and if we accept it (it comes with SotHB).

Their is another poll for trading of the PEG which seems to be a hot topic.
Old January 20, 2004, 17:05   #23
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Ah hell, wrong thread. Well, I only red the last 2 days.

Ah, the trading hasn't decided yet? Ok, I read it again then.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario