Old February 20, 2004, 11:59   #31
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MattPilot
paratroopers are not offensive units - they are defensive! Their main purpose is to bypass enemy defensive lines, take strategic targets, and DEFEND (HOLD) until reeinforcements arrive. E.G. D-Day, Paratroopers were inserted to hold key road points to stop enemy advance. Operation market garden - they were used (or tried) to take a bridge and HOLD it.

Of course one would have to attack an objective to hold it, though i do not believe that paratroopers engaged in offensive combat verses 'armies'.
Yeah, that's a problem. On a tactical scale, paratroopers are very useful, but Civ can't simulate combat on this level.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Old February 24, 2004, 19:04   #32
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

How about this proposal under consideration:

-> Marines upgrade to Modern Paratroopers.
-> Increase attack of Modern Paratroopers to 12.
-> Add stealth attack and amphibious ability to Modern Paratroopers.

Note that an attack of 12 is still just 50% that of the best attacker of that period (Modern Armor), and equal to that of TOW infantry, which is a Guerilla upgrade that does not require resources.
Old February 24, 2004, 21:17   #33
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Before responding to alexman's latest proposal, I'd like to respond to Matt as I originally meant to:

Quote:
Originally posted by MattPilot
paratroopers are not offensive units - they are defensive! Their main purpose is to bypass enemy defensive lines, take strategic targets, and DEFEND (HOLD) until reeinforcements arrive. E.G. D-Day, Paratroopers were inserted to hold key road points to stop enemy advance. Operation market garden - they were used (or tried) to take a bridge and HOLD it.

Of course one would have to attack an objective to hold it, though i do not believe that paratroopers engaged in offensive combat verses 'armies'.
Quite right... that was in fact the primary mission of the vast majority of such units, here in the USA the Airborne being the prime example. In my mind, those are represented in-game by Paratroopers.

However, starting with WWII and developing to a culmination in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the military community worldwide moved away from the use of jump-capable units in set-piece battles, and instead towards a focus on their use in spec ops missions, which are invariably offensive, ranging from recon up through other more directly aggressive missions. And thus, in-game, the Modern Paratrooper.

So, to answer alexman's proposal, hell yes, and let's re-name these bad boys...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 25, 2004, 11:20   #34
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:23
IMHO, Modern Pratroopers should just be paratroopers and nothing more.

My suggestion would be to chanage their stats to 10/13/1 (+4 to attack and +2 to defense).
Defense is the top possibile since more would be better then TOW (and TOW in anti-tank, Paratoopers should never take that role).

Same for attack (it should never be better then of Marines, TOW, or Mech. Infantry).

10/13/1, op. range 8, cost 110 has its uses.

EDIT:
Of course in my mod I moded Marines to 12/8/1, cost 110.
These two units nicely supplement each other (and should never upgrade one to another).
They are special forces, they are not cost effective to be used in high amounts as it should be.

Last edited by player1; February 25, 2004 at 11:28.
Old February 25, 2004, 11:30   #35
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 18:23
Has anovody nocied what weapon is used by Modern Paratroopers.

It's a sub-machine gun.
And gues what?
Marines sue assault rifle.

So I just refuse to belive that these two units should have same attack strenght (from flavor stantpoint).
Old February 25, 2004, 16:09   #36
Myrddin
Warlord

Local Time: 16:23
I like the suggestion, but think that the operational range also needs to be increased to 12 - these days the deployment range of airborne forces is almost infinite
Old February 26, 2004, 01:02   #37
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quite right, Myrddin... HAHO from long range (stealth?) air assets put the snake-eaters ANYWHERE they want to go.

I'm still liking the idea of a late game Spec Ops unit... talk about strategic choice!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old March 5, 2004, 08:17   #38
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Time to vote. AU mod panel has 48 hours.
  1. Yes/No: Marines upgrade to Modern Paratroopers, Increase attack of Modern Paratroopers to 12, Add stealth attack and amphibious ability to Modern Paratroopers.
  2. Yes/No: If 1 results in a Yes, also increase operating range from 8 to 12.

My votes: 1.Yes, 2.No

I think that having units appear so far behind the front lines does not provide a clear enough benefit to justify one more change.
Old March 5, 2004, 10:43   #39
Stuie
King

1. Yes
2. Yes
Old March 5, 2004, 12:20   #40
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:23
1: YES
2: NO

I'm also for renaming the Modern Paratrooper to 'Special Forces' if - and only if - this can be done without additional files.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 5, 2004, 13:04   #41
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

1. Yes
2. I want say yes, but I think it would work better human v. human, so, No
Old March 5, 2004, 21:00   #42
Caesar2760
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:23
If paratroopers are given free pillage in the editor, will they be allowed to do so the first round they arrive?
Old March 6, 2004, 00:47   #43
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 3, 2010
About name changing: Simply click "Rename" button in editor and the result is near perfect. The old name will remains only within descriptive text in the civilpodia (sp?).

About stealth attack: What kinds of unit will we allow MP stealth attacking?
As I've tested, MP stealth attacking naval or air units will be converted to attacking the strongest ground unit in that tile, just as without stealth attack. So naval and air units should be out of the list.
When MP stealth attacks 0-defense unit while there are still non-0-defense units in that tile, it'll be resolve "like" a normal combat: 0-defense unit keeps on losing HP (shown or hidden) without fighting back (since 0 defense) and eventually gets destroyed, MP gains a chance of promotion. I assume there's chance of grenerating MGL, too. And of course, if there're only 0-defense units in that tile, those units will directly get captured or destroyed as usual.
So that allowing MP stealth attacking settler/worker/scout/explorer seems to be OK. But what about artillery type of units? And nukes? Imagine an ROP r*pe to nullify enemy's nuclear counter attack ability and then press the red button...
Old March 6, 2004, 06:24   #44
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:23
"How about this proposal under consideration" looked to me like Alexman was suggesting something that could be placed under consideration, not like he was actually placing something officially under consideration. That impression was reinforced by having discussion of other possibilities continue as if we were still talking about what would be the best option rather than having discussion focus on "yes or no" for one particular proposal. Since I didn't realize that Alexman was trying to place something officially under consideration rather than merely suggesting that it be placed under consideration, I never got around to speaking out against the proposal amidst the other issues I've been spending time (really more time than I ought to) debating. Unless I'm the only one who failed to realize that something was officially under consideration, I consider this vote premature.

I think an attack value of 12 is too high. In real-world terms, airborne forces should not have the same attack value as the best non-armored ground forces in existence. (Note that Modern Paratroopers are only one tech deeper into the modern era than MechInfs and TOW Infantry, so it's hard to argue that Modern Paratroopers supposedly use significantly more advanced weapons.) And in game terms, doubling the attack value from six to twelve is serious overkill once you consider the fact that players can soften up a target with bombers before the paratroopers strike.

I think either 9/11/1 or 10/11/1 would provide a good balance. It would let them take out easy targets without air support and virtually any target with adequate air support, but would make them pay a clear price for their mobility. Building a few would make sense when the conditions warrant it, but players would have a strong reason not to build more than they really need.

I also don't like the upgrade path from Marines. Theseus, can you really imagine the 101st Airborne storming a beach?
Old March 7, 2004, 12:30   #45
Theseus
Emperor

As I stated before, Nathan, I think all of the spec ops capable RL units have evolved in mission, role, and capabilities. So yeah, I;m pretty comfortable in-game with the top of that pyramid being a kick-ass and cross-functional unit.

SO:

Yes
Yes
Rename to Special Forces, if possible.

Old March 7, 2004, 15:55   #46
pauli
Prince

yes, yes. and rename.
Old March 7, 2004, 17:07   #47
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I just spotted a huge problem with the idea of giving Modern Paratroopers an amphibious assault capability. The only benefit of the tech Amphibious Warfare is the ability to build marines. If Modern Paratroopers are given the same amphibious assault capability just two techs into the modern era, there will almost never be situations where it makes sense for players to research Amphibious Warfare. Worse, AIs likely will research Amphibious Warfare instead of aiming for Synthetic Fibers. Making an optional tech that's already marginal completely useless in the vast majority of situations is exactly the wrong direction for the AU Mod to go.

I'm also a bit puzzled at how the same panel that says, "Good enough players who know the right tricks can get enough value out of the Jaguar Warrior as is, so there's no need to change it," can say, "Let's create an uber-special--forces unit that doubles the stock attack value of the Modern Paratrooper and provides some other goodies as well." Yes, the default attack values for the Paratrooper and Modern Paratrooper are too low. But what I would expect from a conservative mod would be the minimum changes needed to make the units clearly useful in a reasonable number of situations, not changes that take the Modern Paratrooper all the way from being virtually useless to being tied for the third most powerful attack unit in the game. The more powerful we make the unit, the less strategy has to be developed to use the unit effectively.
Old March 7, 2004, 17:49   #48
alexman

Amphibious units are much more useful to the AI against the human, because the AI defends all of its cities, while the human defends them more lightly, or even leaves them undefended. Therefore, I see no problem if the AI, but not the human, gets Amphibious Warfare, which forces the human to garisson his cities.

Keep in mind that Amphibious Warfare provides a unit with the same attack as the proposed Modern Paratroopers, but you can get Marines with as many as 5 required technologies remaining in the Industrial Age. Also, Marines don't require oil, while Modern Paratroopers do.
Old March 7, 2004, 18:39   #49
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman

Keep in mind that Amphibious Warfare provides a unit with the same attack as the proposed Modern Paratroopers, but you can get Marines with as many as 5 required technologies remaining in the Industrial Age. Also, Marines don't require oil, while Modern Paratroopers do.
I count six: Scientific Method through Radio, Motorized Transportation, and Flight. But how often is that of practical rather than merely theoretical importance? The fact remains that Amphibious Warfare is already a tech that many of us ignore in most of our games, and would ignore even more often if we could get a unit with the same abilities a few techs later without any special research effort. I don't see how the benefits of making the Modern Paratrooper double as a marine can outweigh that.
Old March 7, 2004, 19:23   #50
alexman

I didn't count Radio because it's going to be removed in the next patch.

In any case, a unit with an attack strength of 16 and no retreat becomes less and less useful as you progress through the tech tree, which I think gives good enough motivation to research the optional technology in some cases.
Old March 8, 2004, 02:00   #51
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
Elegant solution: just make amphibious warfare mandatory, not an optional tech.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 8, 2004, 06:44   #52
nbarclay
Emperor

If allowing marines to upgrade to Modern Paratroopers added wonderful strategic depth to the game, I could see its being worth the price of taking away the need to research an optional tech to get an amphibious assault capability. But in my view, the upgrade path takes away more strategic depth than it adds.

Unlike the classical situation with marines and regular paratroopers, there is no challenge, "Are the benefits of the Modern Paratrooper unit worth going out of the way to research an optional tech for?" On the contrary, Synthetic Fibers is already the single most important tech in the modern era for offensive firepower. Thus, making Modern Paratroopers more powerful merely makes a tech that is already important even more important.

Granted, making Modern Paratroopers more powerful makes the idea of researching Synthetic Fibers before Rocketry rather than after (and thereby delaying the discovery of aluminum and access to TOW Infantry and jet fighters) more interesting. But that effect involves only a minor shuffling of the order techs are researched in. And making Modern Paratroopers powerful enough to be useful can make the choice an interesting one without going to the extremes of taking the unit's attack value all the way up to twelve and giving it an amphibious assault capability on top of that.

Further, giving the same unit both paradrop and amphibious assault capabilities takes away a lot of the challenge of deciding how many of which type of special forces units to build. Players can simply build the units and decide which role to use them in later. In my view, that significantly reduces the game's strategic depth.

If this were the "Give players powerful new toys to play with Mod," I would view the proposed revision to the Modern Paratrooper as a perfect fit. But my impression is that the "Give players powerful new toys to play with Mod" is exactly what the AU Mod is not supposed to be. I think maximum strategic depth is achieved by making Modern Paratroopers more powerful than they are in the stock game but still not as powerful as this change proposes, and by leaving marine and paradrop units as separate and distinct units. The fact that the same approach is also more conservative makes it even more preferable.

Nathan

Last edited by nbarclay; March 8, 2004 at 06:49.
Old March 8, 2004, 06:47   #53
nbarclay
Emperor

Duplicate Post
Old March 10, 2004, 17:40   #54
Myrddin
Warlord

Local Time: 16:23
This thread started because Modern Paratroops were useless- too late and too weak. Simply upping the attack strength does little to fix that as any paradrop landing is likely to be attacked by TOW infantry. or something stronger

Amphibious attack and stealth attack allow different options, as opposed to bombard and assult with Modern Armour. These may be 'new toys' but I cannot see that they are over-powerful or radical, and they seem to fit with the 'how do we make every unit useful' idea
Old March 19, 2004, 17:47   #55
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 3, 2010
One minor point: Should we remove leader and king units from valid target list? Surely it seldom comes into play in most of SP, but allowing killing hard-earned defensive-combat leader or king with a single shot is not that fun.
Old March 19, 2004, 17:50   #56
alexman

I think it's a lot of fun if you are the one with the Special Forces unit!

Seriously, you're probably right. It changes the game too much.