View Poll Results: Which of the Following Tales Is your Favorite?
"The Fight For Freedom" by Chrisius Maximus 10 43.48%
"Failure is their Salvation" by Shogun Gunner 3 13.04%
People of the Valley" by Paddy the Scot 6 26.09%
Who Can Stop the Winds of Change? by unscratchedfoot 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19, 2004, 21:50   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ III Stories Contest Round 19: Finals
Hello, Welcome to the Stories Contest Round 19 Finals.

Good luck to all our finalists!

This round will stay open for 14 days as opposed to the usual 7-10 days so that all the new people can have a chance to read and evaluate their favorite tales.

Good luck to all our participants!

-DC

--
People of the Valley" by Paddy the Scot
"Failure is their Salvation" by Shogun Gunner
"The Fight For Freedom" by Chrisius Maximus
Who Can Stop the Winds of Change? by unscratchedfoot
Old January 21, 2004, 04:19   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 17:24
My vote goes for Scratchy's winds of change story.

It is I think one of the best stories here to emcompass one of civ3's odditties, Cultural conversion. Written in an extroadinary way, as most of unscratchedfoot's work is But the certainly most original and inventive work on these boards for some time.

Scratch I know you struggled with this first time and had to put it to one side for quite some time, but when you got back to it and tackled it again IMHO you did an excellent job

Must point out also that I was very torn between the other works, the standards set on this forum are incredible, and if I could vote for all of them I would. But Scratch gets my vote in this round

Good luck to all entrants
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 21, 2004, 17:52   #3
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I voted for you Chrisus.
Old January 21, 2004, 18:56   #4
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 3, 2010
"The Fight For Freedom" by Chrisius Maximus

A bloody great yarn...
Old January 22, 2004, 07:24   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

We need more people to come and vote, only 7 so far from a site that boasts thousands of members
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 22, 2004, 11:27   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
All are great tales. It is always hard to pick just one. In this case Chrisius made the choice a little easier. "The fight for Freedom" just touched the heart. Thanks Chrisius...you got my vote!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old January 22, 2004, 20:10   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:24
I have to say, "The Fight For Freedom" gets my vote.

I enjoyed all four stories, but I enjoyed Chrisius Maximus' yarn the best. Good writing Chisius!
Old January 22, 2004, 23:49   #8
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Thanks for your endorsement Chris. I was going to vote for Paddy since he put a lot of work into his story, but now I feel obligated to vote for you in retaliation. I guess you'll be at like 7 or something after this so most probably you'll win again.
Old January 23, 2004, 01:18   #9
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Thank you for the endorsement Scratch

Yet even I voted for Chris. The fates are on the job...

Old January 23, 2004, 01:43   #10
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
We need more people to come and vote, only 7 so far from a site that boasts thousands of members
To quote Chrisius "We need more people to come and vote."

One way to get more people is through publicity.

I believe that we can do this through some simple tactics.

In our user profiles we are able to add a signature, some people use this, others do not. It is my experience that these signatures can be very effective in sharing information, and ideas. Thus I would ask that you add the following to your signature in your Profile. Then as we move throughout the various forums on the site, we will effectively be letting people know what is going on, and where they can contribute.

For to quote Chrisius again "... from a site that boasts thousands of members."

[?b]It is time to vote for the [?url=http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106781]Civ III Stories Contest Round 19: Finals[/url][/b]

To make this operational, please remove all of the "?" that I have added to the equation. They were only added so that the equation was presented. For an example please see below. If you find the size an issue, you can adjust it from 4 to 3 etc.

There is 11 days left for the voting, so if you can leave it in that long, it would have time to make an impact. And the more people adding this to their signature lines, then the greater the impact that we can make.

I am happy to assist if you have any dramas. Just drop me a PM.

regards
Paddy

edit: please note that I have removed the size component from the above formula. I have been advised that the size of signatures should be set at the standard rate.

Last edited by Paddy; January 23, 2004 at 09:09.
Old January 23, 2004, 02:49   #11
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Clean out your PM inbox, Paddy, I couldn't send you a reply.

Basically, what it contained is a ... Although I don't like sigs that use increased size... They just sorta disrupt the flow of the thread for me. But otherwise, I have added a link to my sig. Good idea.
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 02:55   #12
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

There's been a new vote in the five minutes since I changed my sig. I guess you were right: this is effective.
Spore page
Old January 23, 2004, 03:08   #13
Paddy
Prince

Cleaning it out now, thanks for the heads up on this.

I understand what you mean by the size of the sigs.
Old January 23, 2004, 03:51   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks for the votes ane and all, its really appreciared

Scratch there is no need at all to vote for me, if you feel paddy deserves a vote then please feel free your under no obligation at all

of course the difficulty is always which one their all so good and equally deserve to win

Managed to sort the sig Paddy thanks for the prompt, its not something I bother with normally but if it works it works!
Old January 23, 2004, 03:55   #15
Paddy
Prince

Well the way I understand it to be, we need to let people know what is going on.

This is one way that brings this contest clearly to peoples attention each time we post somewhere anywhere on the site.

Old January 23, 2004, 08:42   #16
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I just hope that any voters this brings will actually read the stories. They sure would be missing a lot if they don't.
Old January 23, 2004, 14:52   #17
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Hey guys! Glad we are getting some visibility.... Looks like Chrisius is running away with this! The Fight for Freedom is a great story - well deserved.
Old January 24, 2004, 16:53   #18
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

It won me over, anyway.

Incidentally, top bananas to Paddy for the sig codes. Naturally I kept the "4" sizing tag, but I notice it's since shrunk. I suspect an administrator is being arsey.
Old January 24, 2004, 17:00   #19
SKILORD
King

I still have it
Old January 24, 2004, 18:08   #20
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I suspect an administrator is being arsey.
I suspect it was done because somebody broke the rules of the site by having over sized type in their signature... would you have prefered a restriction?
Old January 24, 2004, 18:10   #21
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by SKILORD
I still have it
No you don't...

And I wouldn't suggest changing it back unless you care to take some time off from posting
Old January 24, 2004, 19:36   #22
SKILORD
King

No, no, no. I'm not quite daft enough to even have considered moving it back up.

(Actually to be honest, it did cross my mind, but I knew all along that the consequences for defying a mod would be unpleasant so it didn't cross for long)

Besides, I have a story going right now and I would just as soon not have to take a break from it.
Old January 24, 2004, 19:51   #23
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SKILORD
No, no, no. I'm not quite daft enough to even have considered moving it back up.

(Actually to be honest, it did cross my mind, but I knew all along that the consequences for defying a mod would be unpleasant so it didn't cross for long)

Besides, I have a story going right now and I would just as soon not have to take a break from it.
Yes it is a good story...

and we your humble, yet loyal, audience would like to see you hard at work on this story, not relaxing on sunburnt beaches, with long drinks, fresh seafood, all at the pleasure of the mods....

Old January 25, 2004, 11:53   #24
PLATO
Emperor

So Ming, Have you had a chance to read and vote?
Old January 25, 2004, 14:08   #25
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO
So Ming, Have you had a chance to read and vote?
As much as I'm sure they are interesting and well worth the time to read, my duties here and at other sites takes up most of my free time that isn't spent actually playing civ or being with my family/friends or doing real work.

But good luck with this contest and future contests.

Keep on Civin'
Old January 27, 2004, 03:54   #26
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Stil only seventeen voters, seems like the stories section is overlooked by many at poly.

Weve had a news item, then several of us promoting it with our sigs and of course the recent activity in the community thread over the civ group icon.

BTW any news on the civ group thing ?

Thanks to everyone whose has voted for "Fight for Freedom" I appreciate your support.

I just wish more people would turn out and give their support, it would be nice to see all the above contenders getting lots more support.

Come on Apolyton! Support the story writers of Apolyton
Old January 27, 2004, 11:50   #27
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
BTW any news on the civ group thing ?
Nope, I think it's about time to bump that thread again.
Spore page
Old January 27, 2004, 19:12   #28
Paddy
Prince

Some simple Comp Stats
Round 18 - Started 13 September 2003

Posts 8

Views 368

Votes 9

Round 19 - Started 20 January 2004

Posts 26

Views 349

Votes 17

We are one day past the halfway mark of the competition, and round 19 has more posts, more votes, and almost as many people have viewed it.

Add to this, round 18 has been available to be viewed for an additional four months.
Old January 27, 2004, 19:31   #29
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Hmm interesting stats Paddy. It would seem then that our recent efforts to publicise the forum have had some effect.

All food for thought
Old January 27, 2004, 19:47   #30
Paddy
Prince

We may be pleasantly surprised in 6 more days...