Old January 20, 2004, 00:40   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why not exercise everyday?
really? why not?

and what about other things besides weight-lifting... what about daily exercises that people do every morning like push ups and sit ups? should those not be done daily either?
Old January 20, 2004, 00:46   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 10:24
I do it 5 days a week.

Us gays are ahead of the game, unlike you whiteys. We keep in shape no ****ers aint going to bring us down, yo.
Old January 20, 2004, 00:50   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:24
I do some weights and sit-ups only three times a week - I should work out every day, but I often forget. The only real cardio-vascular workout I get is sex.
Old January 20, 2004, 00:50   #4
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Asher... masturbation is not considered exercise...
Old January 20, 2004, 00:52   #5
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Albieeee let me just say EWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwww!!

I read somewhere that it isn't good to work out every day that you have to give your body a break they suggest 5 times a week or even three. I would assume that this would be to keep from building to large of muscle mass.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old January 20, 2004, 01:43   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:24
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Your muscles repair themselves / get bigger during rest. Working out every second day gives the best results, as your muscles get the rest they need.
Old January 20, 2004, 01:44   #7
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

even for little morning exercises like push ups and sit ups? people should really do them every other day?
Old January 20, 2004, 01:47   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
Blood is at it's thickest and most likely to throw clots first thing in the morning. Doing things that can radically increase your blood pressure first thing in the morning is not a good idea.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 20, 2004, 06:34   #9
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 17:24
You need to take 1-2 days off after heavy weights, but cardio stuff you can basically do every day if you don't push yourself to the brink everytime.

I do heavy weights to failure on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, row on Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri morning, rowing machine Tue/Thu/Fri pm. Situps I do 5 days a week, between the other stuff.

Resting gives more chance for your muscles to actually build up, too much exercise will lead to muscle fatigue and you will actually lift less by the end of the week than you could at the beginning. I once rowed for two clubs at once and had a total of 15 sessions a week. After 3 weeks I was clinically fatigued, though once i recovered I was fit as i have ever been.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old January 20, 2004, 07:36   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

If you are trying to build muscle you need to alternate excercise and rest. In the gym it is usual to work different muscle groups on alternate days.

For sit ups and the like you are probably still better not doing the exercise 7 days a week so that the muscles can rest.

I do a Tai Chi routine every morning but only do sit ups, etc. 3 times a week.
Old January 20, 2004, 08:10   #11
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
I read somewhere that it isn't good to work out every day that you have to give your body a break they suggest 5 times a week or even three. I would assume that this would be to keep from building to large of muscle mass.
Like everyone has said before, false reasoning. Bodybuilders don't tend to work more than every second day.

I weightlift every second day, and also swim around 3 times a week. Sometimes they are on the same day, sometimes they are not.
Old January 20, 2004, 08:11   #12
Solly
Emperor

Oh and I probably do half an hour's walking every day, here and there. To the shop and back..to campus nad back. Only five mintues each time but it adds up.
Old January 20, 2004, 08:33   #13
Mr. Harley
Prince

Sex can count as aerobic exercise, and on occasion as weight lifting depending on your strength and your partners size (my wife is under 5 foot and half my weigth ). It all depends on duration and repetition, if you catch my drift. Couldn't resist.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old January 20, 2004, 09:37   #14
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

From someone naturally fit and thin, then I don't understand why anyone would want to look like a bodybuilder....
Old January 20, 2004, 09:52   #15
Solly
Emperor

Because it's a more masculine shape, and you don't just look like a girl with no tits.

OR
Old January 20, 2004, 10:36   #16
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
From someone naturally fit and thin, then I don't understand why anyone would want to look like a bodybuilder....
You don't necessarily have to lift to look like a bodybuilder. I'm just getting back into the gym big-time, and I'm going more to muscle up like Ed Norton in American History X or Henry Rollins. I like the confidence that comes from the muscle and going up against the pain because I had very little confidence when I was younger.

I lift almost every day, but for short, intense bouts of no more 45 minutes per session broken down into various bodyparts.

Even then, I need a few days or a week off or my mind and body turn to complete jelly. The rest is just as important as the work
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 20, 2004, 10:45   #17
duke o' york
Emperor

What is wrong with your bodies that you feel the need to expend great time, effort (and often money) in order to creep ever closer to conforming to a false ideal? By treating your bodies in such a way then you are more likely to foreshorten than prolong your life, compared with a reasonable programme of exercise. Especially if you end up taking protein shakes, etc, instead of eating food with nutritional value and the element of taste. And what do you plan to do with your super strength? Being a hunter-gatherer is illegal in this country, so don't think that you're putting yourself higher up the genetic pecking order. The way things are going, it is more likely that men of the future will have been genetically selected by women to all have a sense of humour than to have the ability to lift great weights.

I don't want to put you off your hobby though.
Old January 20, 2004, 10:50   #18
Jac de Molay
Prince

Duke of York, Read this. It pretty much sums up my feelings about why I love to be in the gym.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old January 20, 2004, 10:54   #19
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
What is wrong with your bodies that you feel the need to expend great time, effort (and often money) in order to creep ever closer to conforming to a false ideal?
What's so false about it? I don't want just to grow a gut or be a skinny-looking freak from doing way too much cardio. Lifting weights is far better for you.

Quote:
By treating your bodies in such a way then you are more likely to foreshorten than prolong your life, compared with a reasonable programme of exercise. Especially if you end up taking protein shakes, etc, instead of eating food with nutritional value and the element of taste.
We take protein shakes as well as good food. Bodybuilding sites also stress the importance of a good diet to help bulking.

Quote:
And what do you plan to do with your super strength? Being a hunter-gatherer is illegal in this country, so don't think that you're putting yourself higher up the genetic pecking order. The way things are going, it is more likely that men of the future will have been genetically selected by women to all have a sense of humour than to have the ability to lift great weights.
Lifting weights is independent of humour.

Put a strong, 14 stone guy next to a 10 stone one of the same height, and I can guarantee you which one will have the alpha like qualities of power and confidence that attract women.
Old January 20, 2004, 11:04   #20
duke o' york
Emperor

Yes, but this alpha character will have nothing to talk about.
"Hi, wanna spot me....?"

Old January 20, 2004, 11:08   #21
Solly
Emperor

And you talk of humour..?

Since BBing takes 45 mins, three times a week, I'd imagine your skinnycardio takes longer
Old January 20, 2004, 11:17   #22
duke o' york
Emperor

Have I ever mentioned that I do skinnycardio? I don't even know what you mean, but suspect you may be referring to fun activities, like team sports. If I really have to exercise then I'd much rather do it in company, in a cooperative effort.

But tonnes of work has just arrived on my desk, so I'm off now. I don't really care about bodybuilding in particular, but you've been a lovely audience to attempt to wind up. Hope no-one's too hot under their extra-large collars.
Old January 20, 2004, 11:27   #23
lightblue
Warlord

The thing is to be effective in most team sports you have to build up muscle. Just playing the game won't advance your musculature fast enough, so weightlifting then comes in.

The difference between a 6'6" 170lbs basketball player and the same player with 40lbs of muscle on him is enormous.

Same with rowing, the actual act of rowing doesn't build muscle to such a degree that noteworthy enhancement is seen (it enhances endurance, aerobic fitness, muscle toning), and you need to supplement with sport specific weights.

Most of this stuff would not pure isolation exercises but compound exercises such as squats and lifts to better mimic the movements you are going to make.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old January 20, 2004, 11:53   #24
Solly
Emperor

What's your height and weight, duke o' york?
Old January 20, 2004, 13:29   #25
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quick test-

How many of you own a white T-shirt and know all the lyrics to "I will survive"?
Old January 20, 2004, 13:46   #26
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 08:24
Re: Why not exercise everyday?
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
really? why not?

and what about other things besides weight-lifting... what about daily exercises that people do every morning like push ups and sit ups? should those not be done daily either?
You can easily work out daily, or even twice daily, as long as you vary the intensity and focus of your workout, so that specific areas have a day off, day on routine.

For example, for cardiovascular work, you can run at a fairly fast pace on alternating days with longer sessions of fast walking, jogging, etc. to alternate a cardiac fitness workout with an endurance workout.

Same with weights, where you can alternate upper body workouts with lower body workouts.

Your muscles need adequate recovery time to get stronger and develop (this includes your heart), but you can certainly adapt your workouts to allow for that.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:53   #27
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 08:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
No - you need to do a lot of specific things to build muscle mass - typically, if you work out too much, you can lose muscle mass, or at least fail to gain it. Plus risk of injury goes up drastically, and you tend to peak in strength and not progress.

To add muscle mass, nutritional management and protein intake management is essential, and you have to lift weights within a given range of sets and repetitions, so you adjust your weight load accordingly - too low of a weight and high reps will build you up aerobically and give you endurance, but can actually deplete muscle mass. Too high a weight and too few reps is great for increasing your raw power, but again, won't add significant muscle mass.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:54   #28
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Re: Why not exercise everyday?
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
really? why not?
Becuase yu are tired, busy, or lazy. I mean, really?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 20, 2004, 14:33   #29
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
To add muscle mass, nutritional management and protein intake management is essential, and you have to lift weights within a given range of sets and repetitions, so you adjust your weight load accordingly - too low of a weight and high reps will build you up aerobically and give you endurance, but can actually deplete muscle mass. Too high a weight and too few reps is great for increasing your raw power, but again, won't add significant muscle mass.
2 * 8 for smaller muscle groups (biceps, triceps)
3-4 * 6 for larger (quads, chest, back)

is about right.

Plus between 2 and 3 grams of protein per kg bodyweight.
Old January 20, 2004, 15:05   #30
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Well I keep one day off now, as I started training again. I do weight lifting 3 times a week, cardio 6 days a week (running, swimming and rope jumping), I do my aerobic workout EVERY morning before I eat or do anything else about 35 minute light jogging keeping same level heart beat rate which is recommended.

Addition to this I do little techniques with heavy bag once again, mostly punching techniques and low kicks, some elbows and knees, sometimes I go to gym and throw the dummie (80kilo) around and slam that POS.
Addition to this I'm planning to become active with the whole fighting thing again, getting back to touch with grappling and stand up game.

So that's pretty much what I'm doing now, and what I'm trying to add sooner or later. I keep my Sunday out of work out totally, except the morning jog which I do every day. I also have my cheat day then, and eat pizza or something nice. I'm trying to get back in serious shape, from just being in OK shape.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.