View Poll Results: What doers the future hold for Russia?
Russia will become universally prosperous and westernise and join EU, etc. 17 23.61%
Russia will slip into dictatorship and bully its neighbors 30 41.67%
Russia will recreate USSR 10 13.89%
Russia will become a banana republic 15 20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 20, 2004, 12:34   #31
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
This book isn't about current time only- it's research of Russia history.
Yes, but I was implying that history won't inform us about Russia's future too much in this regard. Agriculture contributes about 1% of the US economy, for instance. And we export a lot.

Quote:
It's true, and aside you, for us its a question of surviaval. Currently its -34C outside. I doubt anyone can survive long in house without warm in such condition.
Yes, you are right. I would only point out that overall, energy is less of a problem than you might think, once the overall economic situation settles down. Energy of all types contributes only about 3% of the US economy, for instance.

Quote:
It's not only about energy. Construction cost much more here than for exampl in Germany, not to mention China or Taiwan. We had to dig our pipes much deeper, make our walls different, make basements stronger, etc, etc, etc.
I would merely point out that others have their own particular considerations with construction and seem to do OK. The Japanese build their buildings to withstand drastic earthquakes, for instance. The Russians are no less ingenious than the Japanese and can solve their own puzzles.

Also, I suggest that the difference in construction and maintenance costs is likely not as great as you think. Building a skyscraper in the US costs on the order of $230 a square foot, only about double what it takes to build a single-family home (about $110 a square foot, depending on where you live). In most parts of the US, one is constructed of wood and is the flimsiest of construction. The other is built of steel, concrete, and glass where mother nature doesn't intrude.

FYI, construction contributes about 8% of the US economy and 12% of the Japanese economy. But they do a lot of stupid make-work government construction.

Anyway, you've only considered about 10-15% of a modern economy (energy, agriculture, construction). As long as Russia reorganizes its economic life sufficiently, these factors shouldn't hold back Russia unduly, even if these areas are double or triple the size versus other advanced countries.

Quote:
Luckily for you Putin is not that kind of guy. Too bad for him.
I hope so. Because it appears from the outside like dictatorship is being offered to him.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; January 20, 2004 at 12:53.
Old January 20, 2004, 13:06   #32
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 12:24
Oh, I guess you have to add in the costs to save all the wayward beer in Omsk.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/20/news...reut/index.htm

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old January 20, 2004, 13:42   #33
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 16:24
Putin will rule with an iron fist over this third rate, empire wannabe slavic slum . The last of Rome is in decline and the only fight left in them is for the scraps.

The Rooskies are not 'them' any longer, and the Chinese aren't 'them' yet. The problem here in the US is that we are themless, though the Frenchies are applying for the job, however lacking everything needed except extraordinary bad manners.
Old January 20, 2004, 15:07   #34
Ned
King

Local Time: 08:24
I think Russia will become prosperous. I do not think they will join the EU. They are not that stupid.
Old January 20, 2004, 15:36   #35
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
"How does the author explain the relatively successful industries of Finland, Sweden, Canada, Island...?" (vs Russia)

well you know what I think....

And comparing average temperatures in Russia and Canada is silly. Just like in Canada, few people live in the permafrost areas. Just because Siberia is bigger than the North-West Territory doesn't mean you should draw some conclusion about how (potentially) productive a territory is.

Further, Arctic lands may not be good for farming or living on, but they tend to be filled with lots of raw resources other countries want (wood, minerals, gas, etc etc). I don't imagine that Siberia is significantly poorer than the Northwest territory in being a 'bonanza' for mineral and gas resources.

The sad thing is that DESPITE being blessed with tremendous natural advantages, Russian culture has made them suck. They drink too much, are too depressed or fatalistic, not idealistic enough.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:38   #36
Ned
King

Seeker, being morose and drinking too much are sympthoms of a communist slave, er, .... worker who has no future.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:42   #37
Seeker
Emperor

"being morose and drinking too much are sympthoms of a communist slave"

They were like that during Tsarism, but had religion to moderate it.

And it's been more than a decade since communism in russia, what's the new excuse?

EDIT: ...and look at the Czechs and Lithuanians...heck look at China's east coast...it's NOT 'the effects of communism' it's Russian culture.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:54   #38
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I'm tempted to bite your troll, Seeker.
Old January 20, 2004, 19:57   #39
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

In the short term, Putin getting more dictatorial powers doesn't seem too unlikely.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 20, 2004, 20:32   #40
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Re: The future of Russia
Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
Serb rought to my attention a book which I still have to find and read, but the thesis in it is that Stalin and his brutality were necessary for Russias survival, and that (correct me if I'm wrong here, Serb) Russian history is doomed with a cycle of relative liberty replaced by tyranny and so on.
There is nothing new in this thesis. There is a strong view of Russian history, which strongly influences Russian politics, that Russia needs "a strong leader".

Thus Stalin identified himself as much with ruthless Tsars like Ivan the Terrible as with Lenin.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 21, 2004, 03:09   #41
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Re: Re: The future of Russia
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

There is nothing new in this thesis. There is a strong view of Russian history, which strongly influences Russian politics, that Russia needs "a strong leader".

Thus Stalin identified himself as much with ruthless Tsars like Ivan the Terrible as with Lenin.
Exactly no new. What's new (at least to me) is an attempt to "scientificize" the cycle.
Old January 21, 2004, 03:18   #42
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
"being morose and drinking too much are sympthoms of a communist slave"

And it's been more than a decade since communism in russia, what's the new excuse?

EDIT: ...and look at the Czechs and Lithuanians...heck look at China's east coast...it's NOT 'the effects of communism' it's Russian culture.
Habit?
Old January 21, 2004, 03:23   #43
The Mad Monk
Emperor

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...om=search_city

Umm...why is the current weather in Omsk..."smoke"?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 21, 2004, 04:13   #44
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
I don't know where they get this "smoke". from my window I see clouds and sun, no smoke.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:44   #45
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Maybe it's this?

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2....1568&PageNum=0

Quote:
Fire hits auto depot in Russia city

19.01.2004, 10.52

OMSK, January 19 (Itar-Tass) - An intensive fire has broken out at one of auto depots in Omsk.

Twenty-nine firefigthing crews have been rushed to the site.

Five garages with city buses are ablaze, and there is a danger to adjacent rooms.

Six Icarus buses have burned down.

There have been no immediate reports about victims.

The fire-fighters are working in a heavy smoke-out and at risk of explosion of fuel tankers.

The fire was reported at 4:12 Moscow time on Monday.

Ambulance cars are coming to the incident site that is cordoned off by police.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 21, 2004, 06:46   #46
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Never heard about that before (I didn't watch many local news recently) and didn't notice any smoke during last two days. It's a big city with population about 1,5 million. So, if something is burning on the other cide of the city, it's not necessary I should know about this.
Old January 21, 2004, 07:25   #47
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
A very close relationship with the EU (next to actual member) while getting rid of UK will benefit everyone.
Still gutted that the UK helped stop Stalin take over your sun filled paradise
Old January 21, 2004, 08:08   #48
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Old January 21, 2004, 08:10   #49
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...om=search_city

Umm...why is the current weather in Omsk..."smoke"?
You need to ask?

Old January 21, 2004, 08:21   #50
Cruddy
Warlord

Sorry Saras. Couldn't tick any of the possibilities because I don't think any of them are likely.

Quote:
Russia will become universally prosperous and westernise and join EU, etc.
Yeltsin made it plain he would love to join the EU. The problem is that it would bankrupt the EU and lead to massive inflation inside Russia - hardly a recipe for prosperity. Also, "universally" prosperous means no poor people. Given Russia's climate, it's no wonder they're not exactly Brazil when it comes to being poor but cheerful.

HOWEVER, I think this is closest to where Russia's future lies, if only it can boost the levels of the middle classes (anaethema to many ex-Communists) withouth stamping on the face of the poor.

Quote:
Russia will slip into dictatorship and bully its neighbors
Like it isn't bullying Chechnya now? However, this is a popular move within Russia, and not the result of a dictatorship.

I think Russian's, having been bitten so hard by Bolshevism, are not about to go down the autocratic route - at least not to the extreme.

Quote:
Russia will recreate USSR
This is the most unlikely thing for the above reasons.

Quote:
Russia will become a banana republic
Just about possible if global warming goes that far .

In short - I think Russia has a bright future if it can maintain excellence in space, in mineral production and in political diversity.

The tricky bit is to get the foreign exchange in without exporting large amounts of weaponry which can cause instability outside of Russia and hence lead to instability inside Russia.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Last edited by Cruddy; January 21, 2004 at 09:02.
Old January 21, 2004, 08:56   #51
Aivo½so
King

I like to hope that Russia has a bright future so I ticked the first option. The "coldness theory" doesn't sound plausible to me. The fatalism typical of Russians shines through.
Old January 22, 2004, 13:41   #52
The Vagabond
Prince

There is a fundamental inconsistency in your poll, Saras. Things like becoming prosperous and westernized, bullying the neighbors, and recreating the USSR are not incompartible! On the contrary, they should all be realized simultaneously on a complementary basis!
Old January 22, 2004, 13:44   #53
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Like it isn't bullying Chechnya now?
Chechnya is not a neighbor! It's a part of the Russian Federation. Therefore, this doesn't fall under the "bullying the neighbor" category in Saras' poll.
Old January 22, 2004, 13:58   #54
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
The sad thing is that DESPITE being blessed with tremendous natural advantages, Russian culture has made them suck. They drink too much, are too depressed or fatalistic, not idealistic enough.
Yeah, right. Just grabbing money can't make Russian man happy. He needs to know everything is part of a greater cause.
Old January 22, 2004, 20:16   #55
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
So restore religion, and you satisfy Russians? Not that far-fetched. Solzhenitsyn maks a similar conclusion.
Old January 22, 2004, 21:11   #56
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 18:24
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

Still gutted that the UK helped stop Stalin take over your sun filled paradise
Thanking you for supporting brutes that made Greece a macarthian like state for decades? No thank you. I'd rather thank those who fought for democracy for this little piece of land throughout the end of WW2.
Old January 22, 2004, 21:17   #57
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
which must be why Greece became a proper democracy directly after the war
Old January 22, 2004, 23:03   #58
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I think Russia will recover most of its Soviet-era power in time.
Old January 22, 2004, 23:17   #59
Alexander's Horse
Deity

If Greece was given back to Turkey that would solve a lot of arguments.

Old January 22, 2004, 23:40   #60
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:24
Too cold for agriculture? The climate of Moscow is almost identical to northern Minnesota, and we don't have any problems growing wheat, corn, beets, beans, sunflowers, soybeans, carrots, apples, strawberries, cherries, and grapes (yes, Minnesota has a few small wine makers).

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper