Old January 20, 2004, 14:16   #1
trixthegreat
Settler

Local Time: 16:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Running games on my LAN
I would like to run CIV3 PTW on my home LAN

DO I need a CD for each computer.

I can't start CIV3 without the CD in the drive - i've tried installing from a mapped cd on another computer

Is there an easy way to multiplay on a home lan - surely i don't need three copies of ptw

i'm probably being stupid here - i can't find any answers on this site - point me in the right direction if there are -

thanks for any help

dave
Old January 20, 2004, 15:25   #2
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
You need a copy of PtW or C3C (I've been told it's not compatible with PtW MP) and a copy of CIV3 for every PC.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:27   #3
trixthegreat
Settler

So I need three copies of Civ PTW - presumably I can't copy my disc - If I'm just playing one game of Civ3 in my house between members of my own family why should i have to buy so many copies - does not seem quite right

any other ideas?
Old January 20, 2004, 20:52   #4
SpencerH
Emperor

Sorry, thats not allowed to be discussed on this site. The good news is that if you are a civ3 fan that two more versions of PtW will only cost $20. Despite my criticism of the game, its certainly worth that for new players to the genre.
Old January 22, 2004, 22:03   #5
Dain
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by trixthegreat
So I need three copies of Civ PTW - presumably I can't copy my disc - If I'm just playing one game of Civ3 in my house between members of my own family why should i have to buy so many copies - does not seem quite right

any other ideas?
Very few games make it cheaper or easier for you to play it on a lan with friends without buying multiple copies.
Old February 8, 2004, 02:09   #6
DenisV
Settler

Gentlemen,

Have you avhieved any success with the issue ?
Were you actually able to play LAN game ?

Was it just buy-separate-copy issue ? Was this a real problem ?

I am in desperate situation

I have two PCs under Lynksys router connected to cable modem. I am unable to get these two computer into game at once.

My computers cannot see Lan games at all whatever I do. Pinging each other goes all right.
Is there a requirement for them to be logically on same workgroup/domain (actually they are not) ?

Going online, If I configure router putting PC - 1 into DMZ, then I can start hosting online game from this one, I am able to join this game from PC- 2, but...

once we get past Staging Window, the connection is lost. PC-2 shows PC-1 at ping 0 right before that.

ALL, can you please help me ?
Old February 11, 2004, 14:21   #7
trixthegreat
Settler

hi

we have got 4 of our pcs and laptops playing LAn games they are all in the same workgroup - not sure if this is significant- brilliant fun - but expect a few tears if you destroy your daughters' cities

you only need the disk in for startup - once u get to main menu pass it on to next player

we've not had any problems we have a dlink router and dlink wireles network - mix of wireless and lan no prob

u need the latest software 1.27 - turn off all autosaves - and enemy moves

we've had some crashes - most common due to laptop hibernating -the host should save games regularly

to run a saved game- change the game type to load saved game on the 'hosting screen' to get back into a game - other players can then rejoin
Old February 12, 2004, 10:38   #8
lethe
Warlord

Once upon a time an option called "Spawned install" was pretty popular in games. Meaning that install could only be used to play MP with someone who had a full install. (Sometimes limiting your choices, like in Diablo where the spawned install only let you play Warrior.)

I think it's pretty sad that it's so totally fallen out of favour. There are many games that I'd love for a visitor being able to run on our third computer to play with me and the wife, but that aren't so fun that we'll get a third copy for real.

Oh well, wishful thinking.
Old February 14, 2004, 15:35   #9
DenisV
Settler

Thank you guys very much !

Was unable to to fix it yet...
Obviously a firewall/ports issue. Really, a brialliant fun trying to fix it :;(

Trix, do you know, were there any special settings on your router involved ? Like port forwarding or smth.

And mainly, do you have fixed IPs on your LAN, or is it working good with DHCP ?

I suspect this to be the cause of my trouble.

Or maybe it is just my Lynksys is a piece of crap. Pretty sure about it.

Trix, have you got Conquests ?
We bought it a week ago. It is worth it pretty much. I really enjoy scenarios. They are very customized and complex, too.

Ex. in Middle Ages it is set up in such a way that a Crusade is almost a must for a Western civilization.

I started with it for Byzantium on emperor. Looked too easy - Byzantine is really well positioned there, except the Turks threat.

So, right now i am Kievan Rus in same scenario on deity. Looks terrible or worse. I am happy
Old February 15, 2004, 16:40   #10
trixthegreat
Settler

i use DHCP letting my router supply IP addresses - it also does port forwarding (NAT?)- but i've not changed any settings it seems very stable - I try to remember to turn file wall (zone alarm) - - norton - and MSN messanger all off - Noton still crashed us tonight with live update looking for new virus definitions

i've not got conquests - twenty uk pounds in england
Old February 23, 2004, 09:52   #11
SpencerH
Emperor

I set up a my PC's yesterday so I could play over my LAN.

The LAN, running through a D-link switch and a Belkin router (with cable modem), links up three PC's all with Zonealarm (standard settings), using IPX as the protocol. No virus protection or symantic system crashers.

P4 winxp
PIII win98se
AMD K6-2 win98se

Gamespy is not installed on any machine.

I used the P4 to host the game and tried to join with another PC. Couldnt see the LAN game but I could see available online games.

Checked with poly (of course) and found maybe it was the firewalls.
Disconnected from cable modem and removed firewalls. No change. Reconnected all and restarted with firewalls. Tried using IP address to connect, voila there it was, no problem.

The strange part is that when I added the third PC, it saw the game right away without using the IP address to connect.

So while I did curse the lack of clear instructions from Infogreed, it was possible to set up a PtW to play through a LAN using old and new PC's, different OS's, through a firewall (without modification), and through a switch and router from different manufacturers.

I hope this helps.