Old February 7, 2004, 09:30   #91
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sent to Wittlich.

C'mon you lazy foreigners! (Portuguese excepted) Research some techs so we can trade.
Old February 7, 2004, 13:53   #92
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
I'M RESEARCHING AS FAST AS I CAN!

anyone want alphabet?
Old February 7, 2004, 14:30   #93
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I'll give 1 gold fi I don't already have it.
Old February 8, 2004, 13:21   #94
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:27
1500AD Turn sent to BigFree.
Old February 8, 2004, 18:34   #95
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

" " CerberusIV.
Old February 9, 2004, 16:44   #96
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
1500AD to SirOsis
Old February 10, 2004, 14:57   #97
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Sent to Wittlich.
Old February 10, 2004, 18:03   #98
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

1501AD Turn sent to BigFree.
Old February 10, 2004, 22:28   #99
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

" " CerberusIV.

I've just realized that this is a playable scenario! For those that have played it before you know where the resources are going to be and can plant cities there ahead of time. I'm researching GP but have no idea if I have any. What about the items like Tobacco and Furs? I have not seen any yet. Is there a prequiste tech to see them and use them? Also, I was pissed that my settler would not build a city on a forrest tile and that my Explorer could not enter a desert tile!

Should I play the scenario to become familiar with it or is that 'cheating' of sorts? What other 'rules' am I not aware of?
Old February 10, 2004, 23:34   #100
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ya know, you are right...even though I too haven't played the single-player scenerio yet.

And I noticed the same thing about the settler. Why can't the settler settle in the forest? What other terrains is he prohibited from "settling"?
Old February 10, 2004, 23:38   #101
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

How exactly does the treasure work? Do you need a unit to pick it up and then transport it to your capital? Where is it generated?
Old February 11, 2004, 03:27   #102
BigFree
Deity

I have no eye deer.
Old February 11, 2004, 12:13   #103
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

To SirOsis

If you haven't played the scenario in SP you are at quite a disadvantage compared to those who have. (That means me and Ghengis AFAIK )

Treasure is generated by particular city improvements which can only be built in cities that have particular resources connected and within their radius. The problem is that 2 of these resources - tobacco and sugar - don't show up until you have the Colonisation tech. But if you have played before they always come up in the same place. The other necessary resources are already visible on the map.

You have to clear forest and jungle before you can settle on that tile. Desert is impassable to all units.

No, I'm not going to tell you how to move treasure. That would make it too easy.
Old February 11, 2004, 13:01   #104
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
treasure is generated by the buildings at a fixed # of turns. metals generate faster than tobacco, sugar, furs, etc. check the civlopedia for the amount of turns. it is generated in the city with the structure built in it. if you build a "gold mine" in Los Angeles, a treasure will pop out every (8, i think?) turns in Los Angeles.

when a treasure is generated, it is immobile. a unit has to go there, pick it up, and bring it back to your capital. this makes for very interesting sea journies.
Old February 11, 2004, 15:59   #105
BigFree
Deity

OK

Well, I think that the game has started off a little unfairly then. When I set sail with my ships to settle the 'new' land, I did so blindly. while other, in the know, sailed directly for those sites that are the most prosperous. I like the game for it's explorative properties; but since other have played this map already, those properties are gone for them and it gives them an unfair advantage to say the least. I will continue to play but I'm extremely disapointed that it was not pointed out that this game was being played on a pre-generated map with some of the players knowing that map. I thought it was just a game that GF had come up with that had a few new 'twists' to it.
Old February 11, 2004, 16:20   #106
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

For myself, I never considered that anyone didn't realise it was available as a Conquest scenario. I will admit to grabbing one good spot for Jamestown but delayed building any settlers until I could build colonists instead, so I haven't taken anywhere else and don't even have any colonists en route to the New World yet.

If you are not familiar with the map the easiest thing to do is have a look at the scenario file in the editor. That makes it a level race from now and no-one is significantly disadvantaged.
Old February 11, 2004, 16:26   #107
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I'm just going to play it out without looking. I don't think it is likely the Dutch will win anyway but as long as New Amsterdam does not become New York I'll be glad.
Old February 11, 2004, 17:30   #108
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I thought everyone knew this was a Conquest.

I don't think anyone has a big advantage this early in the game. If you want to see where the resources are simply open up the MP version of the AoD scenario in the Conquests Editor and you can see the entire map and resource locations.

The only strategic aspect to the game is the direction and strategy of the other players. Your playing France so your best area to colonize is probably North America.

The first Treasure producing improvements are available with Colonization which is currently being researched, the second set of improvements are available with Mining? which requires the tech after Gunpowder (which we are ALL waiting on someone? to research )

I don't have a problem restarting if you feel you didn't plan accordingly, gosh knows this is the third time we've tried to start it up. But I don't think you could have done anything to disadvantage yourself as of yet. Besides you can always build Privateers and steal our Treasure from us anyway.

FYI:

Treasure is a flag unit produced at set intervals by specific city improvements. You can build those improvements when the resource required is in the city's radius and "hooked up" ie shown in its strategic resource box.

Treasure is a stationary unit, it can be "grabbed" by military units. Once a unit has grabbed a Treasure the only way the unit can get rid of the Treasure is by
1) getting killed
2) upgrading the unit
3) moving the unit into your Palace at which time the Treasure disappears and you get 200 gold.

The point is to deliver the Treasure to your Palace. If your Palace moves you have to take the Treasure to you new Palace. For example, in the other AoD pbem Holland has been eliminated from Europe. When Holland establishes a new city in the New World that will become his capital and all Holland has to do is haul his Treasure to the capital and he gets his gold. Basically Holland won't need boats he can deliver it all by road then.

I would recommend playing the scenario SP or the Conquest. It explains the rules in the opening of the Conquest so you can get used to it a bit.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; February 11, 2004 at 17:45.
Old February 11, 2004, 18:32   #109
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
For myself, I never considered that anyone didn't realise it was available as a Conquest scenario. I will admit to grabbing one good spot for Jamestown but delayed building any settlers until I could build colonistsinstead, so I haven't taken anywhere else and don't even have any colonists en route to the New World yet.

If you are not familiar with the map the easiest thing to do is have a look at the scenario file in the editor. That makes it a level race from now and no-one is significantly disadvantaged.
What are colonists? I take it that they are some sort of cheaper settler or the make colonies which replace the workers ability to make colonies? Whn I get a chance I will have to load this scenario up. I definately do not want to restart. I will just suck it up and do some research and go on from there. I just hate that it takes out the idea of 'exploration'.
Old February 11, 2004, 20:59   #110
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Colonists can build new cities like Settlers, but only take one pop point away from the city that built them instead of 2 pop points.
Old February 12, 2004, 08:46   #111
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

Printing Press allows you to build the colonist unit.

Unfortunately, once you have played the map you know it and there is no way to avoid that. To be honest it doesn't take much historical knowledge to figure out many of the key locations anyway.
Old February 12, 2004, 14:28   #112
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Sent to Wittlich.
Old February 12, 2004, 19:40   #113
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ghengis, as of yet, I have not received the save. Please resend. Thanks.
Old February 13, 2004, 13:19   #114
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

*Bump*
Old February 13, 2004, 16:17   #115
BigFree
Deity

PM are better than bumps.
Old February 13, 2004, 17:51   #116
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Actually, I did both.
Old February 13, 2004, 18:21   #117
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Didn't realize you hadn't received it, an email gets a faster response from me.

Resent.
Old February 13, 2004, 18:37   #118
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ok.... Problem.

I received the save from Ghengis, but for some reason my password no longer works!

By chance, did someone access my turn by using the administrators password? If the administrators password is used then the prior existing players password is automatically erased. This is the only reason that I can think of as to why my password is no longer recognised....

So, I guess until I can have access to my turn, I guess the game is at a standstill.
Old February 13, 2004, 18:45   #119
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I think I know what happend. Ghengis, you sent me the wrong file. This PBEM game is Aod Take 3 (AoD3 for short) not AoD. Can you please send me this game's save? Thanks.
Old February 13, 2004, 18:50   #120
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Resent the other one. If that isn't the correct save then I don't have it and will need Uber to resend me his last save.