Old January 21, 2004, 15:12   #31
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 16:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Its shocking the similarities between the queen and GWB. I mean, Bush has more power for sure but what I mean is that you Americans have a nice little disposable leader upon whom you can project your desire to be ruled, as well as to personify your *cough* patriotism.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:33   #32
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 17:31
For real Parliamentary arguments, try Australia. It's hard to beat.

As for Brit reaction to Bush - opposition would have immedietely pointed out that "new jobs created" equal about zero.

As for current opposition general attitude to Bush - the Tories would brown tongue in public and curse him in private.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old January 21, 2004, 16:14   #33
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
"new jobs created" is actually not equal to about zero; it is a negative 2.8 million.

I guess, just looking at semantics, that it really is zero new jobs created, but I just like the ring of "-2.8 million" better. It sounds like... victory.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:22   #34
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by East Street Trader
I am not very knowledgeable about US politics. But I am doubtful that you are right, Spencer.

The Queen's speech has a particular function. It is indeed written by the government. It is delivered at the state opening of parliament and in it is set out that programme of legislation which the government intends to introduce into parliament during that session. The speech gives a brief description of the main points which will be included in each bill.

I stand to be corrected about the state of the nation speech but I had thought it involved standing back for a moment from the press of affairs so as to attempt a summary of how the US stands. If that is right it is a different thing from setting out a specific legislative programme.
Technically, I suppose they may have different functions, but they amount to the same thing. The head of state stands up and blathers on about whats been done and what they want to accomplish.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:25   #35
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
I've never seen the Oz parliament in action. Brit, Canada, Swede, US congress, but the funniest I've seen (albeit briefly) was the Taiwan parliament. A full scale riot I think someone has said that the Korean one was pretty feisty too.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old January 21, 2004, 17:02   #36
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Have you ever seen Italian parliament? They have full punch-ups there

But for some of the homophobic posturing that Bush came out with in his address, he would be absolutely blasted in parliament...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 21, 2004, 18:26   #37
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 16:31
In sweden we have an idiomatic expression for "complete chaos", "Polsk Riksdag" which means "Polish Parliament".
Old January 21, 2004, 18:30   #38
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old January 21, 2004, 18:36   #39
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:31
@ Sweden
Old January 21, 2004, 19:21   #40
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

But for some of the homophobic posturing that Bush came out with in his address, he would be absolutely blasted in parliament...
Isn't it ironic that the only countries where things like that are considered serious political positions are the US and countries like Iran and the former Afghanistan.

Same goes for the death penalty, mentioning God every second sentence, xenophobic jingoism, mediaeval savagery masquerading as penal reform, etc.

Haven't you ever heard of the Enlightenment?

And another thing. Faith based charities. Is it me, or is the last thing some homeless alcoholic wants to hear is the sanctimonious pratings of some middle aged teetotalling tory puritan?
Old January 21, 2004, 19:24   #41
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
If UK parliament is anything like Canada's, its just one big yelling match between parties and everyone calling everyone else a liar.
Which is fair. Of course they're lying, they are politicians!

President/Prime Minister should just be renamed most convincing liar.

As a rule of thumb I assume every thing that every politician says is designed mainly to make the politician look good and bears little relation to facts. Unless it can be proved by some independent means that what they say has some base in the truth. I think any other view of anything they say is total naivety.

We've got both kinds
Old January 22, 2004, 02:20   #42
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 12:31
Quote:
Same goes for the death penalty, mentioning God every second sentence, xenophobic jingoism, mediaeval savagery masquerading as penal reform, etc.

Xenophobic jingoism? Are we speaking of France or Greece with that statement?

And IIRC, the death penalty was around for many, many years after the Enlightenment. But if you don't mind we'll keep it for centuries more .

Quote:
And another thing. Faith based charities. Is it me, or is the last thing some homeless alcoholic wants to hear is the sanctimonious pratings of some middle aged teetotalling tory puritan?
If he's getting fed, I'm sure he won't mind it much.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old January 22, 2004, 05:38   #43
Sikander
King

Local Time: 09:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Isn't it ironic that the only countries where things like that are considered serious political positions are the US and countries like Iran and the former Afghanistan.

Who the fvck cares what a homeless alchoholic wants, we all know he wants alchohol. Have you ever worked with one of these faith based groups? They are mostly very good at what they do from what I have seen. Their task is to look after the immediate temporal needs of their clients and to provide a constancy in their lives. They lead by example, and I've seen very little proslytizing among them. When you end up on skid row I'll be sure to never allow any of the faith based groups to help you out. I'll tell them that he was too proud to accept help from those he despised as you lay in the gutter and soak in your own urine.