Old January 22, 2004, 15:29   #1
mirthfulone
Settler

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Culture Flip
I've noticed something in my latest game (non beta patched)...I just cultured flipped two Chinese cities (around 600 AD or so) and when they were under my control, there were no city improvements, except a barracks. These were not insignificant cities, but core ones close to the capital. Is this just a fluke or do improvements disappear after a flip? I've never noticed this before, so I think it's a fluke. Anyone ever notice this happening to them? FYI, I'm playing Regent as Japan vs Mongols, China, Korea, and India. Small pangea map.
mirthfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 15:33   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
well, the city loses all cultural improvements, temple, cathedral, library, so that might explain what you're seeing.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 15:36   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
When a city flips, any and all improvements that produced culture are lost (great wonders remain, but produce no culture).

If you expecting a marketplace, etc., they were probably sold due to cash deficits. Especially if the Chinese were having a bad war (or government).

Get the 1.15 beta patch.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 15:41   #4
mirthfulone
Settler

Interesting. But I don't see the logic.
"Hey, we like your culture, so we want to join your empire. However, when we do, were going to destroy our temples, cathedrals, and libraries, so we're angry now that we joined your empire."

It might be better to have the flipped city's culture points start at zero, then after a period of "adjustment" start to generate new culture rather then blitzing out all the culture generating improvements.
Old January 22, 2004, 16:19   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
It may not make sense, but that is how it works.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2004, 17:16   #6
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:35
Since they hated their Culture so badly, they destroyed all their worthless 'Cultural Improvements' knowing that when you took over, you'd replace them with 'good' ones.

Steven
Old January 23, 2004, 01:01   #7
bvoncranium
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by mirthfulone
Interesting. But I don't see the logic.
"Hey, we like your culture, so we want to join your empire. However, when we do, were going to destroy our temples, cathedrals, and libraries, so we're angry now that we joined your empire."
If the disappearance of temples causes you frustration, don't even ask about what happens to your defending MechInfs when your town flips.

Good approach to Civ:
(1) understand what the game mechanics do;
(2) accept that that's the way it works;
(3) find the best way to use and exploit the game mechanics to your advantage.

Best of luck - bvc
bvoncranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 04:33   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
Since they hated their Culture so badly, they destroyed all their worthless 'Cultural Improvements' knowing that when you took over, you'd replace them with 'good' ones.

Steven
And if you'd like a gameplay reason, it would be just a little unfair to have your new city start to add to your culture immediately with its own culture improvements, thus unnecessarily further consolidating your lead. The rich getting richer, so to speak.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 08:30   #9
mirthfulone
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by bvoncranium

If the disappearance of temples causes you frustration, don't even ask about what happens to your defending MechInfs when your town flips.

Good approach to Civ:
(1) understand what the game mechanics do;
(2) accept that that's the way it works;
(3) find the best way to use and exploit the game mechanics to your advantage.

Best of luck - bvc
Dude, I feel your pain...I had a city flip with a stack of armor in it before...ouch
Old January 23, 2004, 18:12   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Where is Coracle when you need him??!!

[Rant]

G*ddamn Firaxis!! Even when the culture flip is in MY direction, I get screwed!!

[/Rant]

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 06:38   #11
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen him around in a while.

CF were such a big pain in the arse to me that I took the time needed to learn how to cope with it. It worked, haven't seen it for a veeerrry long time.
Old January 27, 2004, 18:39   #12
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I've had 3 cities flip to me in my current game.

All were cities founded by Americans that got taken over by other AIs.

2 of their positions in my judgement were horrid so I rushed several workers from both of them before abandoing and used these workers mostly for Radar Towers but also a couple of outposts on Mountains near my cultural boundary.

The third and last to convert (so far) was in a semi-useful position and I've kept it and rushed an improvement every two turns. It's now working all tiles, and now has every cultural building like the rest of my empire. I'm hoping that it converts another formerly American city.

I also figure I have a shot at flipping the formerly American city in the two tile island off my coast.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2004, 19:39   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I just finished a game on a large map (won't be doing another large for a long time) with 0 flips for me or against me. I had the largest culture.
Even two cities that were cut off by my empire never flipped and I had a the FP close by.

Another strange thing was the Inca's stayed in Demo during the war even while losing about a dozen cities and scores of units.
It lasted about 22-25 turns. The cities were 12 or larger, the cut off cities was a 6 and 8 size.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote