Old January 24, 2004, 15:59   #1
Ducay
Settler

Local Time: 17:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turn Limiter
Hey guys,

I am playing a conquest game and I have just been told that the mandantory retirement age is 2050, in 20 turns.
I am nowhere done with this game, I would like ot play alot more than 20 more turns. Is there any way to extend the game?
Or if I have to start a game, I have it set to 1000 turns, but I would like longer than that.
I mean, look at my empire I have been building up.
In the reply look at my invasion force
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	62684  
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 16:09   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 12:02
you can play as long as you like, but your score will not be recorded after the limit.

so if you lose, you lose, but can still keep playing.
Old January 24, 2004, 16:50   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, if you haven't turned Domination victory off, you might be able to win by that before time goes out.

For future games (kind of late now), my first suggestion is turn off the luxaries to increase your science rate. With the amount of territory you control, you probably have at least 5 unique luxaries which is sufficent by itself to keep order running a Democracy when combined with a Temple and Market place on Monarch. (On Emperor either a 6th luxary or else Catherdrial would also be needed.)
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 17:03   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:02
"I mean, look at my empire I have been building up.
In the reply look at my invasion force "

How can we look at it, it is not selected and you did not post a save? A thousand turns, you are tenacious.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 17:08   #5
Ducay
Settler

Thanks for the help, yah I decided to just play without score.

In regards to my invasion force, I messed up the screenie, but needless to say it was massive and I completly occupied Greece's entire island (light green) and only suffered about 5% loss of my men
Old January 25, 2004, 10:15   #6
WarpStorm
King

A thousand turns is waaaaaaaaay too long. It nearly doubles the length of the game (and the late game turns typically take longer).

BTW, you might consider some hospitals.
Old January 25, 2004, 11:31   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

there's a trainer taht aeson pointed me to on CFC that apparently rolls back turns. not sure exactly how that works.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 13:42   #8
vmxa1
Deity

I have to agree with WarpStorm. 1000 turns is two game, at least. If you build hospitals and got larger cities, you could do research faster, build wonders faster and support more units.

I would expect to have all tiles occupied in 1000 turns.

Anyway as long as you enjoyed it, great.
Old January 25, 2004, 14:02   #9
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

1000 turns is way to long. Domination should occur no less than 250 turns less than that. There are times that I have wished for a longer game, but then completeing your objectives within the allotted time is pary of the challenge.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 19:25   #10
bvoncranium
Warlord

Re: Turn Limiter
Quote:
Ducay sez
if I have to start a game, I have it set to 1000 turns, but I would like longer than that. I mean, look at my empire I have been building up.
It is great that you've enjoyed this game so much, have done so well with it, and are enjoying continuing post-2050AD.
If you like games with that many turns, I commend your persistence.

Something to consider: now that you have quite a few turns under your belt, check out the Apolyton site thoroughly, especially the Strategy area, to pick up further tips to help your gameplay. You'll probably be able to build similarly great empires in fewer turns. Think: more fun + better success + less time.

No matter how well I have done in Civ games, I've always discovered new things to try and better ways of doing things by reading the posts on these forums. When I started out I thought I was doing well to build 20-city empires and victory over many hundreds of turns. After absorbing many of the thoughts posted here, I am able to do better, and much quicker (e.g. last MP game 80-cities + 200-unit invasion forces in much less than 200 turns).

I like that in forums such as these there's always someone who can show you how to think bigger, and succeed proportionately.

Best of luck - bvc
bvoncranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 22:13   #11
Ducay
Settler

Again, thanks for all the great pointers guys.
Im thinking that my game might have been 540 and not 1000. But It might have been because as you guys might see, up to when I posted that screenie, no combat had occured yet at all in the game. I spent all my time building up economy and culutre. (My favorite part). Im a real defensive player so I like to build up large empires with lots of troops before lauching an attack that cannot be stopped. That is why I like the island setup of the map, that way I can build on a seperate Island without incoming invasions.
Old January 25, 2004, 22:38   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Its all good.
Old January 26, 2004, 01:59   #13
bvoncranium
Warlord

Quote:
Ducay sez
I like to build up large empires with lots of troops before lauching an attack that cannot be stopped.
Excellent approach. A common mistake some players make is to pick a fight without the means or might to win it and/or survive the resulting war.

One of the Civ players in my household only likes the exploration & building aspects. After the world has been revealed and her empire is huge, she'll pass the game along to another Civ player, who mainly enjoys the war-waging. That way both players have a great time.

Myself, I favour the rapid-build to gain the most productive nation with the best economy, then turn up the war machine to put together a sledgehammer-type army, and THEN I go visit the neighbours in person.
Builder-warmonger: best of both worlds.

The most important thing is to enjoy the time you spend playing the game - it sounds like you are there.

- bvc
Old January 26, 2004, 02:10   #14
Ducay
Settler

It sounds like you guys play a similar sort of game as me. What civ do you recomend? I usually use americans, but am not sure.

Yah, I really do havethe most enjoyment in the building up of an empire.
And what land tyoe do you suggest? Im thinking of starting a new game.
Old January 26, 2004, 04:08   #15
Justin69002003
Chieftain

As far as the 1000 turn, well lets just say some like it long.
I have done this a fewtime, but now I am in the early attack and quick expansion.
Justin69002003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 04:29   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Americans are a bit weaker now in C3C, since industry trait has been toned down a bit. It is a decent trait still, but bit less.
So if you are not on a large map, I would not think they are a great choice.

It is hard to go too far wrong with an Ag civ, but most of the new civs have a very early UU and trigger GA's with it or wonders.

Mayan has industry and Ag, but you have to be careful with the UU.

Science is not too bad at higher levels as it helps to get cheap libs and uni's, plus the tech each age.
Old January 26, 2004, 12:49   #17
Gunter
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
you can play as long as you like, but your score will not be recorded after the limit.

so if you lose, you lose, but can still keep playing.
This idea was beared from the genius of SID and luckily we still have it into sequels.

I love this feature more than others and without it never I would have bought even a single copy of Civ series.

Let's let the " game over " concept to games like Arkanoid.

Gunter
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2004, 17:56   #18
bvoncranium
Warlord

Quote:
Ducay wrote
What civ do you recomend?
Most of my experience is with CivPTW. For power in building, I used to favour any Civ with Industrious, and preferably Religious traits. Egypt was absolutley a kick-ass builder-Civ in this regard.

In C3C, I haven't enough experience with all of the Civs and the rebalancing of traits, so I can't comment. I'd guess that the Mayans are as good a builder-Civ on land as any, Egypt is still good, the Celts are probably fine. On an archipelago map the Carthaginians and Dutch should be good builders as well.

You should also check out the 'Favourite Civs' threads on 'Poly and civfanatics.com for a variety of informed views.

Quote:
And what land tyoe do you suggest?
If you like to be left alone while you build, you should either go with archipelago, or a large/huge map with continents. In either case, keep the number of opponents to very few in number, and you'll have lots of time to build.

The other option is to pick a lot of less agressive Civs for your neighbours, set the AI to as low aggression as possible, and use trade with the reapid-researching neighbours to increase your wealth and techs as quickly as possible - this leads to lots of building without having to wait too many millenia.

One last recommendation: once you've completed a few of the games that are tailored to what you like, it is probably a good idea to play a bunch of random-Civ-random-map games to get to know all of the Civs and map types.
Nothing prepares you better for battle with a Civ than having played it in a game!

Have fun - bvc