Old January 24, 2004, 16:18   #1
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 13:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Espionage--worthless?
Just out of curiosity--how much use have more experienced played made of the espionage system. It just seems too expensive and random to have any significant place in a viable strategy. Just planting a spy alone is a dicey situation.
Old January 24, 2004, 16:53   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

In a word No.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:02   #3
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The only time I ever use it is to provoke someone into declaring war against me. Usually (99% of the time) I just attack 'em, though. Sometimes its just more satisfying to get them good and angry first.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:09   #4
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 20:02
I usually have better use for my gil.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:36   #5
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 03:02
i sue it, but then again i use everything in the game to get the whole sensation, no point just using one tactic all the time, more fun experimenting
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old January 24, 2004, 18:39   #6
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 17:02
It's worth it alone to see exactly how many of each type of unit the opponent has in the military adviser screen.

I feel justified in saving and reloading if planting a spy doesn't work because I also think that espionage in this game is pretty much a shoddy afterthought. In Civ2, I used espionage all the time because you could plant nukes and poison water supplies! And if you were a fundamentalist, civs weren't allowed to declare war on you because terrorism was expected of such extreme regimes.

Ah, the good old days of Civ2.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:42   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:02
I do use espionage to plant spies...but I agree - the espionage portion of Civ3 needs work.
Old January 24, 2004, 18:45   #8
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
It's worth it alone to see exactly how many of each type of unit the opponent has in the military adviser screen.

I feel justified in saving and reloading if planting a spy doesn't work because I also think that espionage in this game is pretty much a shoddy afterthought. In Civ2, I used espionage all the time because you could plant nukes and poison water supplies! And if you were a fundamentalist, civs weren't allowed to declare war on you because terrorism was expected of such extreme regimes.

Ah, the good old days of Civ2.
CHEAT

Old January 24, 2004, 19:20   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I will sometimes cheat the same way. Depends if I'm (mentally) ready for war or not.

To see where all their military units are for a turn (Steal Plans) is really cool. Of course, anytime you use your spy for other than Investigate City (and I do not know what else), there is risk of it being lost.

The more expensive spy missions are risky. If I am not far ahead, then I don't risk them; if I AM far ahead, I have no need for them.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old January 24, 2004, 19:39   #10
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:02
I only use it for investigating cities to check up on the wonder building of my rivals...

but for stealing techs and suck, nope never even tried it
Your method equals wipe out
Old January 24, 2004, 19:50   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I concur. The only thing I do with my planted spies is investigate cities (mainly the wonder-building ones). Everything else that the spy "could" do is just way too expensive for my taste - especially if you spend the exorbinant amount of gold only to find out that your spy was caught, your gold wasted, and now you're at war - in which case the thousands of gold you just spent to basically get your spy killed and started a war over could have been better spent on the war effort that your spy triggered in the first place!
Old January 24, 2004, 21:30   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:02
plant spies to see how many/type unit

occassionaly check out cities (quite often to see how close to a wonder)

may steal a tech if behind mid game (very rare)

every blue moon steal the military plans
Old January 24, 2004, 22:10   #13
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Investigating cities during war to inspect defenders and defensive improvements can ensure your not being upset as you make an assault on a city.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old January 25, 2004, 01:00   #14
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:02
the most used espionage info i use is the military advisor to check how many units the AI has. after that comes investigate city and steal tech. steal tech is risky and expensive business though
Old January 25, 2004, 01:17   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
My thoughts exactly.

I rarely use the espionage missions though (mostly examine city to check progress on a wonder, rarely steal plans if I have lots of cash and feel like seeing what the AI is up to).
Old January 25, 2004, 10:18   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:02
Seeing enemy unit composition is the only thing I use espionage for.
Old January 25, 2004, 15:35   #17
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 12:02
Steal enemy battle plan is worth every penny.

Investigate city. Success rate is zillion times better than battle plan and each cheaper. Best before attacking city.

Steal tech is not worth it, since you can trade legitimately for much better price. Only reason I see is if you dont wanna give something to teh civ.

Sabotage/initiate propaganda etc is not worth it.
Old January 25, 2004, 17:55   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
Civ 3 espionage still is screwed somewhat. Planting a spy is always worth it just for the military info. Stealing tech or propaganda are very rarely worth it. I've stolen tech a few times, but that's rare and risky. I'd rather put the money into my own research. Also, the risk of being caught and thus spending 2000 gold for putting myself at war... bah.
Old January 26, 2004, 06:14   #19
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero

Sabotage/initiate propaganda etc is not worth it.
never got that to work... has anyone had success
Old January 26, 2004, 13:28   #20
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 11:02
With a Spy you can see what types of Units a rival civ has. Stealing Plans (if successful), although somewhat expensive, can tell you where each unit is on the map. I've used that a few times to locate that lone Transport w/ some Units in it. Generally I don't bother.

You don't need a spy to Investigate a city, your Ambasador can do that job for you w/o the chance/expense of planting a Spy. I generally just rely on my Diplomats in the Embassies. They're much cheaper and don't cause resentment upon failure--they don't fail.

Embassies are VERY useful, Spys can be useful, but risky.

I generally build the Intelligence Agency when I get the tech, but more for the Cultural Value than the Espionage value. (and it's only 1 Culture point).

Steven
Old January 26, 2004, 14:44   #21
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
You don't need a spy to Investigate a city, your Ambasador can do that job for you ...
The point is: Your ambassador canNOT do that for you if you are at war.
Old January 26, 2004, 17:15   #22
tobor
Settler

Local Time: 17:02
I almost never use espionage, but on occasions it was very useful.

1. My main opponent was building the Manhattan Project and I wanted to delay ICBM builing by everyone until I acquired uranium also. I waited ten turns and then sent a spy in to sabotage the MHP. For about 500 Gold, I was able to delay the MHP until I had the uranium I needed.

2. I was behind in the technology race and no one would trade with me. I used several spies to acquire the needed technologies to jumpstart my military campaign.
Old January 26, 2004, 19:33   #23
Yoritomo
Settler

I've only used it to plant spies so I can see how much of each unit the computer players have. All other forms of espionage are huge wastes of money, which you never have enough of. Unlike the computer players who have thousands even when they upgrade all their units, etc.

I desperately miss the diplomat and spy units of Civ 2. They made the game so much fun. It's to the point now where I can never compete with the computer for technology, especially with the new science heros in Conquests. All that has added to the game is the computer getting tech even faster than before. To the point that when I finally crawl and grope my way into the industrial age (steam power, nationalism, etc) the computer players are already done with it.
Old January 26, 2004, 20:50   #24
Yoritomo
Settler

I've only used it to plant spies so I can see how much of each unit the computer players have. All other forms of espionage are huge wastes of money, which you never have enough of. Unlike the computer players who have thousands even when they upgrade all their units, etc.

I desperately miss the diplomat and spy units of Civ 2. They made the game so much fun. It's to the point now where I can never compete with the computer for technology, especially with the new science heros in Conquests. All that has added to the game is the computer getting tech even faster than before. To the point that when I finally crawl and grope my way into the industrial age (steam power, nationalism, etc) the computer players are already done with it.
Old January 26, 2004, 23:25   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

I don't investigate all that often, actually, because I usually have enough arty and bomber to make sure there aren't any units in enemy cities for my ground troops to fight
Old January 26, 2004, 23:53   #26
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Most of the time I just plant a spy to se the troop counts.
Old January 27, 2004, 08:19   #27
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
Steal tech is not worth it, since you can trade legitimately for much better price. Only reason I see is if you dont wanna give something to teh civ.
Exempt in late industrial and modern age when you can steal a tech for a cheaper price compared to buying (even with safe settings).
Old January 27, 2004, 09:49   #28
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin

never got that to work... has anyone had success
I have gotten Propoganda to work many times. The main reason to conduct a Propoganda mission is if you need a toe hold onto another continent, or to get an important luxury or resource (possible but only in limited circumstances)

There are severe restrictions to propoganda missions. The first (and most obvious) is that Democracies are immune to them. The second is that the sucess rate is largely dependent on the culture value of the target city (over 100 is unlikely and over 500 is next to impossible) Repeated attempts raise your odds slightly (just an observation, not based on statistical analysis) propoganda missions are most successful against isolated cities containing valuable real estate or resources from a Civ with vastly inferior culture (they should be in awe of your civ)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old January 28, 2004, 11:40   #29
Johann Moritz
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 18:02
In my opinion, the cost of espionage is right, the problem is the odds of failure are too high. Propaganda is useful, as well as Investigate City relating to wonders. But by far the best use of all is the military infromation you get in the Military Advisor screen.
"Nuestros enemigos son imaginativos y están llenos de recursos; nosotros, también. Nunca dejan de buscar nuevas maneras de perjudicar a nuestro país y a nuestro pueblo; nosotros, tampoco." George W. Bush
Old January 28, 2004, 19:53   #30
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Johann Moritz
In my opinion, the cost of espionage is right, the problem is the odds of failure are too high.
Especially for simple things like planting a spy.