Old February 5, 2004, 01:36   #181
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
WhiteBandit pretty much just nailed what happened. 12 turns sounds about right... I remember that we had been suspicious of GoW's intentions before that, but it was the experience of being in chat with GoW and their insane demands for Chivalry that convinced us the attack was coming almost for sure in the very near future.

When no-one else would offer us the tech and everyone else already had it, that sealed the deal.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 01:40   #182
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
WhiteBandit pretty much just nailed what happened. 12 turns sounds about right... I remember that we had been suspicious of GoW's intentions before that, but it was the experience of being in chat with GoW and their insane demands for Chivalry that convinced us the attack was coming almost for sure in the very near future.

When no-one else would offer us the tech and everyone else already had it, that sealed the deal.
Ahem...Vox didn't have the tech so we couldn't have offered it at all.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 04:03   #183
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 17:04
We had decided we were going to attack RP WAY back to just after the Move Warrior/Writing debackle. A formal agreement with ND came a few turns after that. Preparations for the comming war slowly formed from that point on. A general course of action was discussed until a few turns before each of us got Chivalry. At this point, actual battle plans started to be drawn up. Not that it did us any good. How does the saying go? "Plans never survive the first encounter with the enemy." We declare war at the same time as ND. RP gifts cities to GS and 90% of our battleplans were thrown out the window. GF started marching us into RP territory and slowly went mad. Aggie took over and improvised EXTREMELY well.
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 04:38   #184
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:04
Quote:

you mean that chat where I roleplayed a sleazy Arab trader?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 07:13   #185
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
If you are talking about serious war plans, then it all started around the time we got the NAP from GS.

In fact, everything was hanging on that NAP. If we didnt get it, we would of had to leave a bunch of riders home in case GS invaded.

As soon as GS gave us the NAP, we were free to make plans, and leave our home territory virtually defenseless.

We always held a grudge against RP since the exploring warrior fiasco. But serious planning happened when we got the NAP.
Old February 5, 2004, 10:20   #186
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
We had decided we were going to attack RP WAY back to just after the Move Warrior/Writing debackle. A formal agreement with ND came a few turns after that. Preparations for the comming war slowly formed from that point on. A general course of action was discussed until a few turns before each of us got Chivalry. At this point, actual battle plans started to be drawn up. Not that it did us any good. How does the saying go? "Plans never survive the first encounter with the enemy." We declare war at the same time as ND. RP gifts cities to GS and 90% of our battleplans were thrown out the window. GF started marching us into RP territory and slowly went mad. Aggie took over and improvised EXTREMELY well.
"We" only refers to certain members. I was constantly stressing that Roleplay could and should be our greatest ally in the game and that we should commit to an alliance to the end of the game with them.

The Writing/Warrior fiasco destroyed all credibility I had with the team and pretty much all DemoGames from here on to forever. I'll never hold another elected position again.

And that played into my own opinions. After feeling so betrayed by Roleplay I joined the ranks of anti-Roleplay members of our team and fought to see them destroyed.

This also helped feed ND's distrust of Roleplay because Borc seemed to have similiar feelings towards Roleplay.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 12:41   #187
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:04
For the newer players, could someone give some details of the incident? I keep reading about it, but do not know what it was about.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 13:47   #188
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I don't completely know either, and I've been here from the start.

Basically, though, GF was our leader at the time.

We had an exploring warrior down around RP, and they told us they didn't want it south of X tile. Our position was if it wasn't settled it was free roaming, to which RP refused to trade techs with us until we moved said warrior. This turned into a big argument between Togas and GF. I think both were nearly removed over it, frankly.

I think what pushed some of us over the edge, or rather me personally is when some members of RP went outside of this forum/game and started bragging at how good they were at delaying our exploration through such means in the ISDG.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 13:58   #189
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:04
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Our position was if it wasn't settled it was free roaming ..
An understandable policy. Does it still apply to Bob?
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 14:39   #190
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 14:57   #191
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus

An understandable policy. Does it still apply to Bob?
Oh, do you want to land a warrior and explore the unsettled territory of Bob? I'm sure arrangements can be made to do that...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 15:04   #192
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I was one of the few on GOW that wanted to give RP chiv. Mainly because i feared not giving it to them would basically tell them "here we come". Additionally I wanted to use any money gained for more riders.

Aggie
Old February 5, 2004, 16:26   #193
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I actually think I agreed with you on that one. Simply because I wanted to fleece Roleplay for every dime we could before we gutted them for dog meat.

Oh well, have a nice day.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:27   #194
badams52
King

Local Time: 09:04
Wow, what an interesting strategy. I wonder if giving them chivalry would have left them completely in the dark and unprepared for an assault, or would it have made the battle much, much more difficult for ND/GoW with both sides footing horses.

My guess is that while not getting chivalry might have made the war less suspected, somehow I think they still would not have been totally surprised by the war, and having knights would have made the war more difficult.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:28   #195
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

It might have been even better for you if you had done that, Aggie, considering RP had only a couple of horsemen (2? 3? 4? Surely not 5) by the time war broke out.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 16:44   #196
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

At the time I believe I argued that if we sold them Chivalry they wouldn't have enough money to upgrade horsemen.

They would be able to build Knights but the minute war broke out they would most likely sell the farm to get Chivalry from someone else anyway or simply concentrate on cheaper Medieval Infantry and Pikemen.
Old February 5, 2004, 16:59   #197
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
I agree, the whole reason why we were suspicious in the first place was the way that every Civ acted towards us in regards to giving us Chiv. (Except Vox, you bunch of losers! ).

We thought we had fairly decent relations with GoW and starting to mend fences, then MZ blocked us cold. Ultimately, giving us Chiv would have still resulted in our defeat. However, instead of being caught with our pants down (in regards to our production capabilities), if you had given us Chiv, it would be like catching us completely naked... with MZ's sister!*

Bottomline: Had we received Chiv from GoW, we probably wouldn't have suspected a thing until we saw Riders/Ansars in our territory.

*Note: I don't think MZ even has a sister! But for the sake of conversation, my point stands!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
WhiteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 17:24   #198
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well it seems that all choices have ramifications, so it is hard to know which is the better one, until after you had to make it.

Now at least I got the picture.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 17:47   #199
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Quote:
Now at least I got the picture.
I hope what you were picturing wasn't

Quote:
like catching us completely naked... with MZ's sister!*
because that's just wrong
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 22:09   #200
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

hey, stop trash talking about my imaginary fictitious unreal hypothetical sister!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 5, 2004, 22:42   #201
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
We thought we had fairly decent relations with GoW and starting to mend fences, then MZ blocked us cold. Ultimately, giving us Chiv would have still resulted in our defeat. However, instead of being caught with our pants down (in regards to our production capabilities), if you had given us Chiv, it would be like catching us completely naked... with MZ's sister!*

Bottomline: Had we received Chiv from GoW, we probably wouldn't have suspected a thing until we saw Riders/Ansars in our territory.
Yes! That is EXACTLY what I argued and they told me there was no way that could happen.

You just validated my arguments for me! I love you WhiteBandit!
Old February 5, 2004, 22:55   #202
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

How the hell did we decide to not give it to them, I was for selling it as well..?

IIRC it was ND objecting profusely - to the point of believing such an act to amount to an act of war - to the idea that made us decide not to...???

Little fuzzy during that time, was too busy attempting to convince GS that just because we were at war with them (during Vox) we weren't really at war with them... While dropping hints hoping they would think RP had hired us to do so...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; February 5, 2004 at 23:01.
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 23:37   #203
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Hey, guys, that's alright. The cigars over here are better than they were on Bob anyway. We're having the time of our lives. Not so with you poor chaps. No, you're still sliding around in the mud and listening to Eric Idle cart a lot of dead people through your village every morning and that sort of thing. Over here in New Spain, we're puffing at cigars, having big dinner parties, getting drunk, and producing children like crazy. We even wear straw hats and shorts. Ah, this is the life.

(Pass me another one of those Squidling Ales, honey.)

The New Lord Calamari...but you can call me Phil.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2004, 23:41   #204
Master Zen
Deity

RP saw those Riders pretty quickly, you had a horseman scout around Mavdad which saw our stack as soon it appeared on the mountains.

I don't recall who in GoW was actually in favor of the selling of Chivalry but I know I was very much against it, so was Panzer IIRC and so was ND.

Old February 5, 2004, 23:51   #205
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Oh, I remembered MZ and Panzer were against it. I just didn't want to name names.
Old February 6, 2004, 00:35   #206
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I too was against it.

1. We had already soured relations with another team (Vox) when we sold Fuedalsim to their opponent (GS). I didnt want to do it to ND as well.

2. We didnt know how many horses RP had. (We were told they didnt have many, but I didnt want to risk it)

3. I didnt want to upset ND

4. I believed RP already knew that they were in danger of an attack by GoW, and would build knights.

5. I didnt want to upset ND
Old February 7, 2004, 20:55   #207
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I looked back recently and for the record, I made the first troops build schedule and broad plan of war in 290 BC. The planning had been going on before that so lets say around 410 BC was the point of no return toward war.

Aggie
Old February 8, 2004, 12:04   #208
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Oh, I remembered MZ and Panzer were against it. I just didn't want to name names.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2004, 15:02   #209
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32

What are you ranting about? I didn't say Panzer who. It could've been someone named Panzer21 for all they knew.
Old February 8, 2004, 15:41   #210
Aggie
King

Now children lets bring this arguement back into our private forum. We don't want everybody to know how totally dysfunctional we are, so far its been our dirty little secret. :wink:.

Aggie